Boot problem - Windows wont load

Kramerican

Limp Gawd
Using a dual boot with Vista 32 and XP. Getting an error when trying to boot.

When I attemp to boot XP I get this screen...

Code:
We appologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your Computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose last known good configuration to revert the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose start Windows normally.

[COLOR="Yellow"]Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration

Start Windows Normally[/COLOR]

When attempting to boot Vista I end up with a screen saying this...

Code:
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause, To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings and click "next".
3. Click "repair your computer".

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I tried the repair but with no luck.

Something wrecked your bootloader, that's pretty obvious. I'd suspect a virus or trojan first, so getting some AV software that can run off a bootable CD/DVD/USB stick would be highly recommended. If the normal repair process for XP and Vista isn't working (you need to do it for XP, then Vista, in that order), you could be looking at doing repair installations for both OSes.

I also tried booting using a xp installed hard drive from my other computer and it wouldn't load windows either which leads me to believe it may be a mobo problem or something.

Also on top of what Joe said, it's possible bad sectors on a hard drive caused this. Are your seperate boots on different PD's?

PD = Physical Disks...

If you installed XP then Vista, the Vista bootloader is currently pooched, it seems, especially if you can't do the boot repair by using the Vista installation DVD. It gets trickier by the minute...

If it was me I'd:

- use fdisk to rewrite the original MBR to factory state, thereby wiping out XP or Vista's capability to boot
- use the XP installation CD to get into the Recovery Console and do fixmbr then fixboot in that order
- use the Vista installation DVD to get into the repair options and fix the bootloader

3 steps that should ensure everything gets back to proper working order.

If it's pretty straight forward I may be able to do it. I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to this stuff. I'm guessing fdisk is a bootable cd. Any ideas where to get it? If i'm in over my head I may just take it to the microcenter techs.

A 9x CD will allow you to fdisk but, honestly, if you're not 100% absolutely confident you can do this, you could end up making things worse. Perhaps a trip to MC is the best course of action, unless you have a friend around that is more experienced with such actions...

Back