Boot drive weirdness ... please advise.

harddud

Limp Gawd
So I just replaced one boot drive with a new one. The original boot drive (drive #1) was a Samsung 250 GB. I replaced it with a 500 GB WD Black NVMe (drive #2). My intent was for #2 to become my new BD while #1 would become a gaming SSD.

I used AOMEI Partition Magic to clone #1 to #2. Everything worked fine. I entered BIOS and instructed the PC to boot from drive #2. The PC boots just fine with #2 as the BD. Here is where the weirdness starts ... If try to reformat #1 to use it as a gaming SSD and I get an error stating that "This drive is in use. Another program or process is using this drive. Do you want to format it anyway?"

It looks like at least one process is using the files on #1 vice #2 as I had intended. Can anyone advise how to fix this and how to better clone/replace BDs in the future?

What if you remove the 256 drive - does it boot on the new drive? When I clone drives, I always use Macrium Reflect. Never had an issue.

Sounds like the boot loader is still on active disk #1
Personally I haven't had luck cloning drives, I usually make an image of a drive and restore that to a new drive

What if you remove the 256 drive - does it boot on the new drive? When I clone drives, I always use Macrium Reflect. Never had an issue.
^THIS^ is the ticket for cloning, but you could always use an image file also...

I've done it both ways & had good luck regardless....

Remove the "old" drive and make sure pc boots properly and recognized. Then re-add. Better, if you have a m.2 usb adapter, use that and kill off the old partitions. Don't recreate them, then reinstall. It should show up as a new device in disk mgr.

Back