Boot drive too small for large amount or ram?

455olds

Gawd
On Dell's site when configuring a computer it is required to get a 512gb boot drive minimum for 64gb of ram. I googled and couldn't find anything.
Anyone know what the reason for this is or how to calculate the drive size you need for the amount of ram you want to install?
I'm not buying a Dell right now but I may upgrade my ram on my x58 system ram to 48gb and want to make sure my 256 boot drive is big enough.

It's probably just something with their configuration tool. If you're going to spend the money on 64GB of RAM, you probably won't bother spending a few extra bucks on a 512GB drive.

I'd be more concerned with whether or not 48GB will work with X58. I know I had 24GB working, but it sounds like more than that can be a crapshoot depending on the board and processor. Might be better off with 32GB in dual channel.

Thanks for reply. I read that 48 GB works in x58 and patriot even gave me a part number of a 8gb stick that should be compatible. I'm still looking into it. I may just get 3 8gb sticks and see how that goes.

I would assume it is just for their online configurator and some crap with the page file size and OS install size. If their is more than one drive in the system then you could put your page file on a different drive if you wanted to so it is not really going to be a big deal. Personally I have an M.2 NVMe 256GB boot/OS drive and a 1TB SSD SATA drive in my system and 32GB of Ram and keep my page file on the SSD, pretty sure the page file is barely, if ever, even needed or used since I have enough Ram for what I do.

No such thing that I know of. One thing for sure, is my newly system is working and it has 128GB SDD with 64GB of DDR4 ram with 3900x.

Last edited:
I would expect if you purchase 64 GB of RAM for a Dell system you are paying > 2 thousand dollars for the workstation and they change the options on what is available at that price point

The next size down from 512GB is usually 256GB. Actual capacity would be 238GB. The Windows folder takes about 20-30GB, page file would be up to 64GB, the hibernation file can be up to 64GB, and recovery bits can be another 15-20GB. So the drive only has 60GB of space left before any of Dell's mess installed or any Windows updates are downloaded. Add in a couple of games or some content tools and the drive is full and people are now complaining about Dell not giving enough space to work with on an expensive system. To keep that from happening, they just don't allow the option, but there's not technical reason you couldn't.

Back