Boot Camp Trial Expiry Date

DaLurker

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering what the Boot Camp Trial expiry date is?

My dad's considering a Macbook and it would suck that come January we'd have to pony over a few hundred dollars to pick up Leopord in order to continue using Boot Camp.

You're going to want to buy Leopard anyway... But the Bootcamp beta is basically just a firmware patch, a repartitioner and a bunch of drivers. You'll still be able to boot into Windows, even if it expires. You probably won't be able to create new partitions or burn new driver CDs, though...

Oh, and it's not "a few hundred dollars." It's $129 as usual, most likely.

Black Morty Rackham said:
You're going to want to buy Leopard anyway... But the Bootcamp beta is basically just a firmware patch, a repartitioner and a bunch of drivers. You'll still be able to boot into Windows, even if it expires. You probably won't be able to create new partitions or burn new driver CDs, though...

Oh, and it's not "a few hundred dollars." It's $129 as usual, most likely.

Nice... how many user license will it be? I think its usually 3? Or is that if I buy the family pack?

$129 is for 1 single user. Spend $199 you can get up to five licenses. Assuming they keep with Tiger's pricing, which I would assume so.

I doubt the expiration date will prevent you from logging into your Window partion. Imagine all the upset users who had not backed up their data, only to find out that they can no longer boot into windows. Many switchers would be cruxifying Steve Jobs.

MarvynDT said:
I doubt the expiration date will prevent you from logging into your Window partion. Imagine all the upset users who had not backed up their data, only to find out that they can no longer boot into windows. Many switchers would be cruxifying Steve Jobs.
Imagine the stunned look of horror on the firmware developers' faces when Teh Steve says to add an expiration date to a fucking firmware patch! :eek:

Cowcaster88 said:
$129 is for 1 single user. Spend $199 you can get up to five licenses. Assuming they keep with Tiger's pricing, which I would assume so.

I'm not sure you know, but if anyone does know, could you let us know how the additional licenses are given out? Do you just get 5 copies of the EULA and keys (if there are even keys in Apple products)?

I was thinking that maybe I could buy the multi license and sell the rest I dont need to people on this forum or eBay to save everyone money.

from apple.com

"Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium, but shall also extend to student members who are primary residents of that household but residing at a separate on-campus location. This license does not extend to business or commercial users."

I don't know why you'd want to do that. You'd be selling your disk that would allow you reinstall the OS if something happened. $129 is not that bad, that's like mid-priced compared to Linux and Windows.

rockman1117 said:
I'm not sure you know, but if anyone does know, could you let us know how the additional licenses are given out? Do you just get 5 copies of the EULA and keys (if there are even keys in Apple products)?

I was thinking that maybe I could buy the multi license and sell the rest I dont need to people on this forum or eBay to save everyone money.
It's basically just a different EULA. Mac OS X does not use license keys or anything such. There is nothing technical that prevents you from installing the same copy of OS X on a hundred machines. It doesn't check the network or anything, either.

Black Morty Rackham said:
It's basically just a different EULA. Mac OS X does not use license keys or anything such. There is nothing technical that prevents you from installing the same copy of OS X on a hundred machines. It doesn't check the network or anything, either.

You mean like you could do with Windows 3.x, 95, 98 and Me? I really guess Apple makes their real money on Hardware sales that has the software included.

Cowcaster88 said:
I really guess Apple makes their real money on Hardware sales that has the software included.
Basically, yes. And the Pro software, probably.

German edit: Do not forget ze iPods!

mobile home

:D:D:D

On that hillarious note, after bootcamp expires I can almost GUARANTEE someone will get it cracked. I mean, they got XP to run on the new intellintoshes (much better than mactel) without apple's help, i'm sure they can crack a date code.

With student discount the price for OS drops to around 70 bucks if I remember correctly.

Back