boot camp and parallels

I am having major time issues on my new macbook getting boot camp and parallels to work properly. I have a slipstreamed version of windows XP with service pack 2, and i have paralles 3.0, build 5608. Anyways, no matter what i do, boot camp refuses to let xp work properly. It wont let the drivers install off the Mac OSX cd, nor will it allow parallels to run. I am at a loss on what to do at this point. It also refuses to upgrade the installation of XP to vista sp1 (for that matter, wont even recognize the disk, which it does recognize beautifully on my macbook pro). I have been able to get into windows, but it wont let me install or do anything.

Short of going out and buying a whole new XP w/service pack 2, what can i do?

I've always had much better success with VMware fusion, but try to avoid windows if at all possible.

Try calling Parallels Support,
I have heard good things about their support. The Parallels manual is thick enough, that will help you solve your problem.
I never had any issue with Parallels and all my friends say Fusion is worse.

What OSX are you using? Which MacBook do you have?

First thing: you should have slipstreamed XP SP3 and not SP2, make a new CD with SP3 integrated.

Second thing: why are you bothering with using a Boot Camp partition to run XP at the same time inside OSX? You're not going to gain any appreciable performance since it's still running as a VM. You're better off installing XP SP3 inside Parallels as a standard VM and be done with it.

If you already have XP SP2 installed on a Boot Camp partition, get rid of all of it, uninstall Parallels, and restore the hard drive back to full OSX usage.

Then start over. Install Boot Camp, set aside whatever space you like for XP SP3 since that's what you should be using, then install it. Once you're properly dual booting the laptop, install Parallels and then see about it accessing the Boot Camp partition. If you have issues, then just install XP SP3 inside Parallels and be done with it.

Aside from this, contact Parallels for assistance as already noted. If you bought the software they're supposed to help you with issues as long as you're legit - including with XP.

I will slipstream SP3 tonight.

The reason i need boot camp working is because this is my dad's brand new macbook, and he needs some sleep programs that only work on windows (he is a medical doctor, and he owns a sleep lab). He also has some programs that the hospital he runs needs to install on the computer. He liked mac, and i told him i can install windows to accommodate his requirements.

Good advice guys, thanks, ill let u know how it goes.

Ok, so i was able to get windows XP pro working perfectly, but i have run into a second hitch. It wont let me upgrade to vista with sp1 (its an upgrade version). It always hangs right before its finished installing, and then i have to format again.

I dont know what to do about that....

Ok, so i was able to get windows XP pro working perfectly, but i have run into a second hitch. It wont let me upgrade to vista with sp1 (its an upgrade version). It always hangs right before its finished installing, and then i have to format again.

Don't try to upgrade to Vista. Just install Vista fresh and then do the upgrade to full trick with it.

I would approach that with caution. Make sure your Dad's software will work under Vista first. I work IT for a health care provider network and we still have several applications that won't run on Vista nor will the vendors provide support.

Back