Boondock Saint cutout....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I am searching tons and tons of stencil sites Like This One trying to find a decent (and already done) stencil for a cutout. I came across this Boondock Saints one and fell instantly in love.

Now on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the hardest) how hard would this be to cut out with a dremel? I think about 7 since its pretty cut and dry. NOTE: Case is black, Orange would be the lighting color of choice.

Also what do you guys recommed for creating the two tone color. LED's, Cold Cathodes, a flashlight?

boondock.jpg

The cutout wouldn't be hard, but it would sure take a hell of a long time.

If you are trying to get two-tone orange color, You could try getting 2 white cathodes and orange celophane, put one piece around bottom one, and two around the top. The only problem lies in the fact that the top one may be a little bit dimmed, but it should still work.

i might steal that cutout from you... or at least etch it. That is SWEET.

Seriously though, (I dont mind) but go to that link I posted. They have a stencil gallery full of crazy stencils (you are going to have to edit them to get a good effect) most are on wall or t-shirts but many are closeups so it makes for easy editing.

Some just plain crazy like this one (I want this but its entirely too much work.)

Personally, I would use LEDs instead of cold cathodes for 2 tone lighting. They're not as bright so it would be less likely for one color to overpower the other.

I think that LEDs produce nicer colors too.

Depends on how good with a dremel you are. I suck with dremels, so that'd be a 100 on a scale of 1 to 10.......lol

For the lighting, I'd say put Red LEDs at the top of the case, and some White LEDs at the bottom of the case, and play around with where u place them for the right effect your going for.

I think it may be challenging depending on how good you are with a dremel. Regardless it would be worth it. That is an wesome stencil and an even better movie.

I think that might be the best (and cheapest, cheap is good) way but just out of curiosity would dual red CC's on top and one red one white on bottom do that as well?

the cutout shouldnt be too hard. There are no real tricky spots so just take your time and it should turn out well.

As far as lighting.. you could use 2 red CCFL top and bottom, then spotlight the lower part with some white LEDs. Either etch the plexi or put some type of semi-transparent film behind it to difuse the light a bit.

Great movie .. funny .. I just got done watching it with the GF about 2 hrs ago :)

Holly crapola thats awsome. I have fallen in love, being the Irish-american guy I am.

yeah that is frekking sweet. You better hurry up and do it post pics. :)

An idea I had for my next case mod lighting..maybe im crazy though.

Cutout the design in the metal.
Take a piece of plexi and paint the back of it with some good quality white spraypaint.
Using a careful hand paint another layer using a fade effect to produce different colors. i.e in your case maybe paint over the white with red at the top half. and orange at the bottom half with a little overlap in the middle.
Attach teh window so when looking at the case all you see is white.
Place 2 white CCFLs one at the top of window and one at bottom.
In theory I think this would produce i nice lighting effect, where when the lights were off the cutout would appear white. When you turn the lights on you would see the 2 tone red and orange from the color paint on the glass.

Only problem I can think of is if the paint blocls too much of the light. When I get my new case(probaly a Wavemaster) I'm going to buy a few pieces of plexi and try out different paints and lighting solutuions to see how this works...It may be a month or 2 though so dont expect results soon.

Okay thanks to [H] member seige, I got a good picture of the lines to work with, Thanks again seige!!!

Here is the basic pic, printed out and lined up on my side panel...
startlayout.jpg

Here is the side panel of the case I am about to destroy...
blankpallet.jpg

Fingerprints courtesy of moi

Here is the image with the borders cut and lined up...
Layout.jpg

Here is proof that I either cant cut straight or cant line up straight...
cantcut.jpg

Makes me feel good about going at this with a Dremel!

Here is the basic layout of how it will look on the case (use imagination)
basically.jpg

NOTE: I have the case lined up wrong in this pic, it should be a little left of center (hiding those drive bays when it becomes a cut out). In this pic the sidepanel is sideways, basically the back of the case is on the bottom of the pic.

I will start a worklog on this soon, but I didn't want to start it and do nothing for a while (no updates). I have nothing but the case right now, I will probably get the internals in the upcoming weeks... Stay tuned!

1. Awesome flick.
2. Awesome idea.
3. Good luck with that. Hope you have a steady hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back