Bookshelves for Audiophiles only?

Blackbeard, so what you do suggest setting the Windonws default format to? I couldn't gather which format the article was leaning toward, nor through subsequent searches.

As cliche as it sounds, and having always feared that my crappy/insensitive ears would never be able to do like others proclaim -- "I can't believe how much "more" I'm hearing!" It feels like I'm listening to new revamped versions of my music. Seriously, every other song I'm hearing something new/different, saying "What the heck?!", then rewinding and listening to it again. I've even double-checked cables and connections a few times to see if there's something wrong. Does anyone know if a faulty cable could somehow be adding in an extra orchestra or two?

;)

I think I'm more than elated with the current mobo optical-out setup. I might switch it to HDMI as by my understanding, optical out only supports two channels along with having far less bandwidth than HDMI.

How do you guys adjust your volume -- by receiver or by source signal (like computer)? My gut feeling is that the best option quality-wise would be to set the computer volume at a certain set level that maximizes the sound information, and then to adjust the receiver's volume.

The problem with that, though, is that I love being able to control the volume with my mouse's sensitivity rocker :/ Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

Goodness, I'm just giddy as a little schoolgirl! I feel like I've found the source of life, that these waves of sound are now the source of what pumps the blood through my veins like warm honey.

The receiver is the way to adjust the volume. Not only is it the best quality (it adjusts the level of the preamps) but it is also easy since you just grab the volume dial. That said, it won't really hurt to adjust things in software, if you wish.

In terms of default format for Windows, doesn't matter that much. Really with good resampling, which Windows 7 has, it is not a big deal. I personally set mine to 96kHz, 24-bit since I play DVD Audio files which are at that rate, so everything else gets upconverted. If you are big on the whole "no resampling" thing then either 44.1kHz or 48kHz depending on if you are doing CDs or movies respectively.

In terms of HDMI and multi-channel and all that: It isn't your only option. If your motherboard supports it (most don't) or if you buy a soundcard that supports it you can use Dolby Digital Live or DTS Interactive to do multi-channel over optical. It is compressed, of course, but it sounds fine, same kind of thing you get on DVDs but higher quality (DDL is 640kbps as opposed to 448kbps DD on DVDs and DTSI is 1.5mbps as opposed to 768kbps on DVDs).

HDMI works great though, that is what I use. It'll support up to 7.1 no problem at any sample rate you desire. Only thing to note is it has to have a video signal to send audio. So you either have to pipe your video through your receiver, or you have to mirror it, which is what I do.

Sweet, thanks.

I know you're all probably sick of this thread getting bumped, but I just have to say it again -- I freaking LOVE these things. It's like getting and playing original Doom for the first time. I keep checking the time becase I'm worried that it's quickly dwindling until I'll have to go to bed and be without this new sound for 8+ hours :) And when I get out of bed, the music is ON.

No joke -- there are sounds in movies I'm watching on my monitor that I think are real. Twice, I've gotten up because I thought my doorbell rang... TWICE :) And it was even blatantly obvious in the shows I was watching that there was someone at the front door. I still got out of my chair... TWICE.

Goodness gracious, when you guys all heavily suggested to many threads past the benefit of straying from the computer-speaker path, I never thought it would be like this. I have never been an audiophile and have always thought that that recommendation would procure little benefit to the non-audiophile ear. But after having nothing else to upgrade, I thought I'd dip my toe in the sound world. And now I can't do anything else other than feel the good vibrations, shake my head, and continue mouthing "HOLY CRAP" through the waves.

Thanks again for the recommendations, thanks so much. I'm a changed person now, and could never ever go back. I shall pass this lost secret of Atlantis on to as many sound-weary souls as I come across!

Last edited:
Glad you like it, you finally have a [H]ard sound system. You are right, there's no going back from it.

It is something I've found funny with computers how many people will spend tons on visuals, but little on sound. You'll seem someone with 3x GTX 580s, a big eyefinity setup and so on, but tiny stereo speakers. Sound is a big part of a great experience and you need to put some cash in to it to get good results. Doing so, as you've found out, is so worth it.

Agree with Sycraft about neglecting the A in the A/V experience. Audio got a bum rap in the exchange.

Back