BoincGames.com BOINC fun and interesting for all involved.

Hey Ya'll, Today is the last day of Q2 for BoincGame.com
I've been busy trying to get XS points in all available projects.
Very interesting trying to run everything a little.
I also didn't want to speak that out loud because of the off chance
that we could get 3rd for for Q2 and not wake up any people not watching.
So as we go into the final Q2 results day, XS has a chance for 3rd, with P3D right on our tail.
One of the best things to come out of this is that other XS members have signed up.
Including myself we are 6 strong, I don't know how much they will be involved,
but just by the act of signing up is fantastic! XS will get any points they choose to run
Another great thing is it will really test BG for load and usability.
I look at the 2022 BoincGames.com Season as it's pre-release testing phase.
Management is very open to discussions to make it better and I am
hoping to help with that , So join, help out and mold a better and
more fun Distributed Computing experience.

Nuff for now, waiting on today's results / The Q2 final results.
Enjoy your day!
OSOC
XtremeSystems

XS4S - Index

PS: let's go WCG we miss you!

bg-6-30-1.JPG
bg-6-30-2.JPG

Yeah... BG's is still in BETA mode as Skillz is still working out a lot of bugs. We haven't advertised it much because it really isn't ready for prime time just yet. Glad to see some interest from you guys and others. Definitely post any and all issues with the site in his forums because that is the only way he will know to get them fixed. He is paying out of pocket for someone to work on the website, so some fixes may take a bit before they are implemented.

Skillz is bearly on his own forum. The site is full of issues that would be better dealt with by nuking it and starting over.

Having even more competition collection sites will just fragment whos left even further.

I hope it goes well. Seems like most of the pieces are coming into play.

Skillz is bearly on his own forum. The site is full of issues that would be better dealt with by nuking it and starting over.

Having even more competition collection sites will just fragment whos left even further.
Though I have the same feelings on the replication of event ideas and fragmenting what's left, I do feel like he is making real effort where others have failed. It is very early on still in the working of things and so will have some issues. Since he isn't building the site himself, he is at the mercy of the people he is paying to develop the site and the constraints of his own wallet as well. I have no idea if he is taking handouts to help fund the event either. I've not looked that closely. Many are jaded by Formula-BOINC after about a decade of half assed management and lack of caring to even listen to its community. I personally feel it is too little too late for them. I don't pretend to hide my dislike for Sebastien as I think he fails in just about everything admin related. He has terrible social skills and has also admitted numerous times over the last few years at how burned out he is with BOINC. I don't know why since he really didn't do much with the community beyond the sysadmin side of things. Yes we love badges but his once great idea for an event was killed by his own lack of interest and ability to engage. The reason I bring this up is because Skillz is trying to engage and trying to improve on things. I'm sure he would also welcome others willing to jump in and help as well. So, though it may be fragmenting what is left further, I think something needs to be done as the world of DC is spiraling down the toilet.

Last edited:
In 2021 there was a Sprint selection committee created in Formula BOINC that would assist in choosing Sprint projects. A consequence of that is that some teams could have become aware of the Sprint ahead of time. I pointed this out, and was surprised at the amount of negativity that ensued:
https://formula-boinc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=193

Apparently I was one of the few not surprised when cheating ensued. I think the FB forum may have been cleansed of the aftermath of that discovery (please correct me if I'm wrong) but one of the committee members withdrew his membership, and I believe that committee members do not have access to the Sprint choice anymore. Not that it matters at this point, the site is pretty broken at present.
What struck me though was Sebastian's attitude, he was clearly more irritated at people complaining about cheating than he was about the misconduct itself. This told me all I needed to know about Sebastien and Formula BOINC moving forward. I subsequently asked for my forum account there to be deleted.

Reactions: EXT64
like this
Though I have the same feelings on the replication of event ideas and fragmenting what's left, I do feel like he is making real effort where others have failed. It is very early on still in the working of things and so will have some issues. Since he isn't building the site himself, he is at the mercy of the people he is paying to develop the site and the constraints of his own wallet as well. I have no idea if he is taking handouts to help fund the event either. I've not looked that closely. Many are jaded by Formula-BOINC after about a decade of half assed management and lack of caring to even listen to its community. I personally feel it is too little too late for them. I don't pretend to hide my dislike for Sebastien as I think he fails in just about everything admin related. He has terrible social skills and has also admitted numerous times over the last few years at how burned out he is with BOINC. I don't know why since he really didn't do much with the community beyond the sysadmin side of things. Yes we love badges but his once great idea for an event was killed by his own lack of interest and ability to engage. The reason I bring this up is because Skillz is trying to engage and trying to improve on things. I'm sure he would also welcome others willing to jump in and help as well. So, though it may be fragmenting what is left further, I think something needs to be done as the world of DC is spiraling down the toilet.

Other than the lack of feedback by the admin and random Python errors on sprint starts my biggest issues with FB were that there was just too many sprints. I felt it was nonstop but since it was mixture of marathon and sprint... missing a sprint could really hurt the standings
I hope we stick to a somewhat more relaxed sprint schedule for BOINC games. I do like the Opt in method better then the "everyone is opted in"

It's too bad Deleted member 88227 isn't on these forums to add his 2 cents to this thread....
shame-got.gif

(that was Skillz ID here) I don't remember what he did to get the boot but cheers to him for taking the initiative to try to make something better. Hope it delivers.
I may shit talk on Skillz from time to time, but he is a good dude and has contributed a lot to DC.

this is just a sampling of this year's FB frustrations.

05/19/2022 21:00 (UTC) - 05/22/2022 20:59 (UTC) - Project announcement did not happen, later showed 'Canceled'

05/26/2022 21:00 (UTC) - 05/29/2022 20:59 (UTC) - Stats were missing initially(similar to the current one), once the stats showed up on the second day most of the teams showed their total points from all time as their sprint total

06/09/2022 19:00 (UTC) - 06/12/2022 18:59 (UTC) - Day 1 stats were late, with neg numbers, so they were off but did end up showing up correct (based on assumptions) at the end.

06/17/2022 03:00 (UTC) - 06/20/2022 02:59 (UTC) - no stats at all as of this post.

06/30/2022 22:00 (UTC) - 07/03/2022 21:59 (UTC) Project to be determined.

or

Coming soon to a theater near you.

It started at 6pm EST yesterday, no project no stats!
https://formula-boinc.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

I see www.boincgames.com as a chance for us in the Boinc / DC community to be able to help make this part better
Some people just want to crunch, some like a little excitement plus team building events, it's a personal decision.
Now is the time to sign up / help test, because community participation in the development of Boinc Games is essential to the success for a modern version of FB.

So there's a lot of work to be done but BG has a responsive management team and is openly accepting suggestions and implementing forward looking solutions.

I would love to see sebastien start to be involved in the mistepping FB, but we have to deal with the reality and not the history.
You don't even have to change what you crunch, just sign up for [H] and keep doing what you're doing, your points on those projects will count on BG.
Then just decide as things move forward, the choice is yours.

Just as a disclaimer, while I know some of the people involved with www.boincgames.com I have no hand in management or ownership.
But what I do have is a desire to try to make this element of DC more competitive and fair for every cruncher.

motqalden I can't agree more, WAY to many Sprints, way to many.

Enjoy the day
OSoc

Here is the Q2 Marathon results...

Q2results.JPG

I think the number of sprints was ok. The problem was trying to do all of the sprints, all of PG series, all of SETI.Germany's events, and anything else that popped up in the process. Just way too much in general. It becomes exhausting. Combine that with the fact that a lot of the science has no interest to many of the contributors and well.... Lack of desire to continue. This is one of the biggest reasons I would bring it up every year on what the team WANTED to focus on. Sadly there was usually little participation in the discussions. Luckily, though it came from being jaded, the team took a more open stance on Formula-BOINC.

BOINCGames has potential but I think it is important to advertise it as in development stages. I have a feeling people are jumping in thinking it is also ready for competition to be taken serious. Skillz will also need people to go out and advertise it once it is ready. PR is important for the success of such things.

Last edited:
Back