Bobdamn Battery Bulge!

• Thread starter Deleted member 126051
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 126051

So, went to hook my phone (Galaxy S7) up to my laptop and tether.
Then noticed that the Otterbox case had gaps between the screen protector and the back-plate.
Pop it off, and the battery's bulged so much it's completely popped the back panel off.

Out of Warranty from Samsung.
I'm on a grandfathered business plan with Sprint.
So my options right now are:

1: Send the phone in on my own dime and maybe have to pay for repair/replacement with Sprint.
2: Upgrade (but only to the S8) through sprint (probably waiting 2 weeks for the phone to trickle in).
3: Sit and wait for 45-90 days for the S9 to drop and effectively do #2 for a newer phone then.

Unfortunately I can't wait that long. I need the phone. So I sent the damnable thing in this evening for assessment/repair.

Yeah, definitely post pics of it.. I'm interested to see how much it's popped out.

I'm a DIY guy that has replaced batteries in a few tabs and phones that are somewhat hard to replace (replaced batteries in both my previous One M8 and current Nexus 6P), so personally I would buy a new battery and replace it myself. I won't be water resistant anymore, but I'm sure it's already not since you said the back has popped off from the swelling anyways. I know Samsung phones are somewhat of a PITA to replace the batteries in too, but I'm sure after watching a couple youtube vids to know what to expect, it's definitely doable.

Doing that should hold you over to the S9s or Note9 at least and only cost $10-$20 for parts.

In this day and age, it pays to keep an old phone around just to use as a spare when your main phone goes down. I have a 2013 Moto X just for when this kind of thing happens.

In this day and age, it pays to keep an old phone around just to use as a spare when your main phone goes down. I have a 2013 Moto X just for when this kind of thing happens.

+1 for this. i take it a bit further and refuse to go to sealed batteries. i'm still rocking a note 4 and have a spare note 4 lying around as a backup and a quick-charger.

+1 for this. i take it a bit further and refuse to go to sealed batteries. I'm still rocking a note 4 and have a spare note 4 lying around as a backup and a quick-charger.

I used to be the same, but unfortunately you have to upgrade at some point (if you're security conscious whatsoever and are hitting the limitations of your old hardware), so I've settled on trying to only buy phones that aren't too hard to crack open and replace the battery on. I follow JerryRigEverything on Youtube and he does nice tear downs of most popular phones and I also check iFixit as well. But a lot more phones are trying to incorporate water resistance, which makes it even harder to open them up and near-impossible to restore any water resistance after doing so too. I don't care at all for water resistance though, so I don't factor that into my purchase at all unless it makes the phone too hard to replace the battery on.

I used to be the same, but unfortunately you have to upgrade at some point (if you're security conscious whatsoever and are hitting the limitations of your old hardware), so I've settled on trying to only buy phones that aren't too hard to crack open and replace the battery on. I follow JerryRigEverything on Youtube and he does nice tear downs of most popular phones and I also check iFixit as well. But a lot more phones are trying to incorporate water resistance, which makes it even harder to open them up and near-impossible to restore any water resistance after doing so too. I don't care at all for water resistance though, so I don't factor that into my purchase at all unless it makes the phone too hard to replace the battery on.

I hear ya... i'm gonna use my note 4 until my production level exceeds its production level. There's nothing i can't do on a note 4 that i can on a note 8 or s8. What i do on my phone doesn't warrant a new phone any way I look at it. Worse case, i can put a custom rom on the note 4 to bring it up to nougat.

Back