BoB is dead... the war is over. (Eve Online)

Apathy

Gawd
I am extremely tired, and this post deserves a lot more love, but all that I can manage to say is:

Thousands of actual people, playing an actual internet space ship game, are without alliance, and soon to be without home.

BOB (Band of Brothers) - once the largest, most powerful, feared, and at a time, the most respected alliance in terms of its ability, has been completed dissolved.

The details aren't exactly in yet, however, GoonSwarm, BOB's biggest enemy, is claiming responsibility for the CLOSING of the Band of Brothers alliance.

Some people are saying an account was hacked/shared, maybe a bill wasn't payed. But as far as I can tell, "The Mittani", a member of GoonSwarm, has orchestrated the death of BOB.

Link to the thread on the Eve-Online Forums:
http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=990381&page=1

Link to The Mittani explaining what happened in mp3 format:
http://dl.eve-files.com/media/0902/mittani.mp3

Link to ISD Press Release (eve news people sorta kinda)
http://myeve.eve-online.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=2737&tid=7

Link to massively.com's early article. (front page)
http://www.massively.com/2009/02/04/rumor-band-of-brothers-breaks-apart-in-eve-goonswarm-responsib/

The gravity of this situation is extreme. The rammifications unfathomable.

It is truely quite awesome.

I am happy.

fuck bob forever.

thank god for goons.

Seems unlikely that they would just dissolve like that. Either way, it leaves the way open for GoonSwarm(SomethingAwful) to "break" the game as they intended when they joined.

well they may reform, but not under the name BOB or Band of Brothers as goonswarm has closed "bob", and has created the corporation name "band of brothers" so that bob cannot recreate under that flag. And also not in their home region of Delve.

This wasn't goons breaking the game, it was a BoB / Black Nova Corp DIRECTOR who closed the alliance. He didn't want to play with bob anymore, so he betrayed thousands of his former alliance mates. He switched sides, and unfortunately, now bob is totally fucked.

Either way, their home, their name, their systems, and most of their pos' in delve will be gone in 24 hours.

I know what happened, I'm just saying it's not really a good thing. I don't play anymore though, I've had enough Internet SoapOpera for one lifetime :p

The story as I heard it on Vent last night was that a GOON player infiltrated BoB and got up to Director status. Last night, he yanked all the money out of the Goon bank, which was a day before the corp dues were due. The bill couldn't be paid so the corp dissolved.

Well I don't like BoB at all, but that pales in comparison to my dislike of the Goons. So on balance I am disappointed by this news.

EDIT: This also seems "too easy" to do. Seems strange to me that one director, working alone and without any kind of approval "required" from other directors or CEOs, can spontaneously dissolve an entire alliance. Especially one of such scale, that is otherwise in good shape. But I haven't read very deeply into what happened, partly because the discussion boards are a shitstorm (but I guess that's par for the course on Eve-o) so I found it a bit difficult to get the clear, confirmed facts.

Still, even if this were a clear flaw in the game mechanics (and I don't know whether it is, though it seems odd to me), I doubt CCP would intervene to restore things to how they were before it happened. They generally don't dare to interfere in highly-important ingame events even if there's something clearly wrong for fear of the massive backlash of bad hype it'd generate from whichever side "loses out" from their intervention.

EDIT2: Just to point out, I'm not saying that corp theft should not be allowed. I'm wondering whether "alliance destruction" should ever be possible in this kind of way. Kind of seems like a (rather large) step too far to me.

The repercussions are pretty severe. At downtime today, all of BoB's sovereignty in lowsec was lost. This means that all titans that were being built are lost (including the minerals used to start the building). Jumpbridges and Cyno gens are offline. POS Guns will shoot friendlies. Cats and dogs living together. Mass hysteria!

I don't play anymore, but this is insane.

Seriously.... the goons and BOB are two sides of the same coin. One betraying the other was both bound to happen and extremely pathetic.

Either way, EVE will live on and new corps/alliances will take their place.

Crazy news, either way. Even though I don't actively play (just skill training), I'm still looking forward tos eeing what's going to happen.

Not really. A new alliance will form and take over where BoB left off. By and large nothing will change.

Tbh, I have seen this coming since the epic fail of MAX fleets.

Edit:
Not sure whether CCP will be amused. I can only imagine that this will be the point at which a whole bunch of ex-BoB decide to finally free themselves from their MMO addiction. I see lots and lots of canceled subscriptions in the near future.

On the other hand, folks will be able to grab some of the former BoB characters on the character bazaar shortly.

Still, I think that while the whole thing will have next to no impact for the players of EVE (alliances come and go, so what), it's a PR nightmare for CCP.

Wow! I don't play Eve anymore, but I still like to hear what's going on. This is just amazing! Kudos to the Goons for pulling this off. In tearms of real $, this has to be the biggest heist in MMO history.

Still, I think that while the whole thing will have next to no impact for the players of EVE (alliances come and go, so what), it's a PR nightmare for CCP.

I disagree, I am not an Eve player and I find this story really interesting and fascinating. It shows a MMO universe that has real consequences which means it actually sounds fun, as opposed to some other MMO's out there that hold your hand the whole time and make sure you lose nothing.. So I happen to think these Eve stories that come out every so often entice more people to play to get in on the action.

those kind of story makes me want to play EVE.

Sadly i dont have time to put into an MMO

Yeah, I actually really like the sound of EVE (i'm a current WoW player) however I am put off by the stories of lag and the "leaving your comp on for hours to auto gain skills". Now, i'm not positive this is how it is, but Ultima Online had a similar thing with macros and skill gaining and it was the most boring thing ever. I think like in WoW you should have to use your skills to gain them.

lag is still existant in every aspect of the internet. in eve however, it has been incredibly diminished. they've done a lot of massive hardware/software upgrades over the years that have helped to expedite the flow of gameplay to the point where you hardly have a scenario where the lag is bad enough to piss you off.

i usually only notice it now when i jump into a major trade hub to go buy stuff. and even then, its not all that frequent.

whoever told you that you had to "leave you computer on for hours to auto gain skills", had no fucking clue what they were talking about.

turn on computer. log in to eve. choose skill to train. log out. turn off computer. there are no skill queue's, or auto trainers that i know of. i am sure they may exist, but they are certainly not prevalent.

if you however enjoy the grind of killing things to see some reward of experience, and PvE is more your thing, i am sure you'll be quite happy with the money you'll receive per NPC kill, or PvP kill from selling their loot, so that you can upgrade yourself.

there is really almost no limit to your personal enhancements and upgrades. getting to a point where you have even 1 ship, and 1 set of the best items that exist in the game, is... well is extremely fucking hard, and probably less than 1% of the eve player base has ever come close to having the highest end items all together on one ship.

its just not really feasible.

Thanks for the reply Apathy. Nobody actually told me about the leaving comp on to train thing that's just what I got out of the reading i've done on the game. My fault, sorry.

Good to hear about the lag, that sounds very positive. I am totally aware lag exists in online games (Hell I still deal with it in WoW) however I remember reading that it was unbearable.

So, say I picked up the game today, how much of this skill training would I need to be able to start getting in to the game?

It is truely quite awesome.

I am happy.

fuck bob forever.

thank god for goons.

What would have been awesome is a real win. That isn't a win for Goons.

It's a game and BoB were worth their salt.

Either way something new will take it's place.

As the post a few above mine said, skills will continue to train whether your online or not. The highest levels just take a good amount of time to train. While i haven't played EvE in awhile, i reccomend it to anyone who likes space games and the like.
For awhile when i was playing, i was earning good money just buying low and selling high, and training to mining barge status and just mining where and whenever i could.
The sky is the limit in EvE...:D

Thanks for the reply Apathy. Nobody actually told me about the leaving comp on to train thing that's just what I got out of the reading i've done on the game. My fault, sorry.

Good to hear about the lag, that sounds very positive. I am totally aware lag exists in online games (Hell I still deal with it in WoW) however I remember reading that it was unbearable.

So, say I picked up the game today, how much of this skill training would I need to be able to start getting in to the game?

Theres a 14 day trial available through their website and the client is a free download. Check it out, and send me a message as 'Tyymm' in game. I can help you out with any questions you have, and trust me, there will be a LOT of questions. Steepest learning curve EVER!

I recommend you go through the tutorial.

To send me a message, go into the 'People and Places' on the left menu, search for 'Tyymm' then right click my name and 'Start Conversation'. If I'm online, you'll open a chat with me and you in it.

Thanks guys, I'm going out of town for the weekend but I will download the client and try to get on early next week.

When you join the game you need to make a decision as to your goals. Most folks who are in for the long haul spend the first 4-6 weeks not playing the game at all, but instead only log in to train the learning skills that will then help them to learn all other skills faster. This is a good way to go about it if you are sure that you will stick with the game.

The main problem with noobs in EVE is that they join the game and have very little direction, thus make uneducated choices which they will either regret in the long run (i.e. bad attributes), or the game appears too complex and they lose interest.

The key is to find a mentor who will help you with good advise from even before you create your character. If you have that, then you can be combat ready and a useful and welcome addition to any PvP gang in approximately two to three weeks.

During this time you don't need to be logged into the game at all except to log in when you need to set a new skill to learn. Skill training happens in real time, whether you are logged in or not.

While the PvE aspect of EVE may be exciting at first, it quickly becomes very repetitive and tedious. If you are not into PvP, then you may find the economic side of EVE more enjoyable than simply shooting the same AI controlled ship in the same mission, mission after mission.

I always recommend that new players to EVE take a PvP class from Agony Unleashed. Those folks are very good at teaching new players how basic PvP works and after a day of instruction (very good return on your investment of the course fee) you have a feeling of self-worth that even though you are just a new player, you can still help in bringing down the most experienced players out there.

Tacklers are always wanted!!!
Tackler - noun: A pilot who flies a small, fast, and disposable ship, whose only function it is to hold down (tackle) the hostile long enough for the main combat force to arrive.

Tacklers get blown up often, but they earn the respect of their corp mates more than most other members of the team. As you become more skillful as a tackler you will start to actually survive most tackles. You deal very little to no damage, but you ensure that others may kill.

The Agony Basic PvP course prerequisites are outlined here: PVP-BASIC Preparation Checklist. That will give you an idea what skills to train to be useful in combat even at low skillpoints.

Yes, I am pimpin' Agony. My main used to be a member ages ago. They are a good group of people. While they are not holding any 0.0 space, don't have T2 production, outposts, etc., they do know how to teach you how to PvP as low skillpoint player, that is what they are very good at.

If there is anything I can do to help you, or anyone else reading this, out then send me a PM how to get a hold of you in game and I will follow up on that.

Wow, from what I have read I would need to feel incredibly secure with my RL career and relationships before sinking time into this game.

This sounds f*ucking serious.

as the dude said, Eve's learning curve is a brick wall. theres a great picture of it somewhere, i dont feel like finding it because im sick and lazy at the moment.

dont be intimidated.

id second agony unleashed for pvp orientation.

however, for just starting and getting into the game, id join the corp "Eve University". decent group of dudes. they give out a lot of free skill books, ships, and hold classes that teach just about every aspect of what eve has to offer.

but be prepared to sink your teeth in.

2335016192_6003c39c4c.jpg

Incredible game though, wish I had time to play it again.

If the coming "walking in stations" feature would be in first person, I would totally sign up right now.

Is PvP still 3rd person?

This sounds f*ucking serious.
Internet spaceships are serious business!

Having said that, EVE players in my experience are weird that way.
On the one hand the fact that you don't need to grind, that you character develops by itself while you are sleeping, leads to a somewhat more laid back attitude about the game than usually found in MMOs where you have to rush to the level cap.

On the other hand, the fact that the dynamic nature of the game can result in actual loss of stuff (sure, virtual stuff, but still) as opposed to other games where failure is without consequence, makes some players be extremely serious about the game.

Of course there are pricks in EVE as well, but due to the complexity of the game you don't have as much "chaff" in EVE as in other MMOs (Goons are the exception really, they are your average SA forum member).

If the coming "walking in stations" feature would be in first person, I would totally sign up right now.

Is PvP still 3rd person?

Yup, PvP will remain "looking at ships in 3rd person". Ambulation was originally scheduled for March 09 iirc but there has been no word about it for the expansion that will come out in March. BTW, there is no additional charge for expansions, they just magically appear.

Nice picture tys90. Eve's learning curve is like trying to become fluid in a second language.

The only way I can see myself playing this game now is if I win millions of dollars and I can spend my days sitting in front of my computer in my penthouse having other players show me the ropes. School and work only let me get in a couple hours of TF2 every week.

I guess its time to get on the EvE forums and start asking for their Stuff.

Do hope they reform just to keep the game interesting.

3rd person ruins immersion for me. As a long time Wing Commander/Freespace/X3 player, I don't think I want to play a space sim in 3rd person. Having the option to switch would be nice.

Immersion is the most important thing for me in these games. Being able to play in a 3D or virtual cockpit would be amazing.

These posts on this game always amaze me....on one hand...i wonder - how the FUCK does anything like this go on in a game, and how does everyone who plays it seem to get so absorbed into it all? its like a whole living world and it almost freaks me out...

yet...on the other hand, im painfully intruiged and mystified and wish i had the time to dump into it...seems like the one standing RPG/MMORPG that isnt suffering froma ll thes tuff ive come to hate in the games.

weird lol.

These posts on this game always amaze me....on one hand...i wonder - how the FUCK does anything like this go on in a game, and how does everyone who plays it seem to get so absorbed into it all? its like a whole living world and it almost freaks me out...

I know but it sounds so... epic.

I tried EVE for a few days, and just couldn't get into it.

It takes a long time to get into it. I'm about 6 months of play time in, and theres still a LOT i don't know. A lot.

But once you really start to understand whats going on around you, you realize just how indepth things are. And its a lot of fun :). Very much a slower paced thinking game of strategy and skill.

EVE online is serious business huh? I heard there was a real economist studying the eve's economy

If I had the time and resources to have the desire to play an MMO, it'd be Eve.

Anyone that thinks this is a bad thing needs to understand exactly who "BoB" were. Included in this disbanding is access to their entire forums where they badmouthed their beloved pets (alliances that effectively do their slave labor), whined about being soundly beaten, and fully admitted that they sucked and only were a powerhouse because they were there first and had essentially unlimited access to money early on. This was a long time coming, and it's entirely awesome just desserts. No wonder Haargoth said f*** this and turned. He is enjoying the game 500% more being in a real alliance focused on fun and REAL brotherhood.

Back