Board partner cards of the GeForce RTX 4070, RTX 4060 Ti and RTX 4060 may not utilize 12VHPWR connector

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
Igor's Lab seems to have information on the upcoming Nvidia GPUs in regards to the power connectors. Premium/higher end models of RTX 4070s may be offered with the new 12VHPWR, while lower end versions may use the older 8 pin. It is assumed all Founders Edition GPUs will use the 12VHPWR. RTX 4060ti/4060 may all use the 8 pin.

Makes sense, as these GPUs likely will not be using enough power to really warrant the need of the new connector. So if you're in the market for these cards, at least you may not have to worry about updating your PSU or using shoddy converters that will make cable management more of a pain.

If the rumors are true of a $750 4070 and $650 4060ti, I don't see many gamers buying these in the first place lol.

Lower da damn prices!

Probably no engineering need to.

Then again, it won't matter. I'm not buying that overpriced crap anyway. Wake me when prices are reasonable.

If the rumors are true of a $750 4070 and $650 4060ti, I don't see many gamers buying these in the first place lol.

Lower da damn prices!

I've also heard the 4060 series will have a 128-bit wide memory bus as well. Again, a rumour, but seriously, what are you supposed to do with that if that's the case? I get the card might not be powerful enough for it to matter, but from what I saw, the 192-bit bus is holding the 4070Ti back at higher resolutions, so that may also be the case here.

Lower da damn prices!
The bigger question is will AMD strike while the iron is hot and take advantage of these higher prices, or are they going to greed it up and have similar pricing for their entry and mid tier cards?

The bigger question is will AMD strike while the iron is hot and take advantage of these higher prices, or are they going to greed it up and have similar pricing for their entry and mid tier cards?
No idea, but I can tell you that the 6950XT at $699 is a pretty damn good deal ($664 currently). If a 4070 is released can't even beat the 6950XT and being $50 more....its a fail right off the bat.

IMO the 7900XT isn't terribly priced now......MAYBE AMD learned to stop being greedy and fucking try to take market share back. We know the 7900XTX is selling very very well right now......Who knows

Naming the connector 12VHPWR was needlessly verbose (just with letters instead of words). 12VHP illustrates the same thing with 28.6% fewer keystrokes, and is even easier to read, IMO. Plus, if you count the effort it takes to hold the shift key down while typing PWR in capitalisation, is it even less energy expended than just typing "Power"? Maybe they couldn't use 12VHP because it's already claimed by bear spray. I'll probably use 12VHP when the situation arises for me to mention it.

Just saying.

Last edited:
Back