BNET 2.0

TheCommander

2[H]4U
So after 12 years SC2 is coming out and BNET2.0 doesn't look good at all. I played the Beta and SC2 is awesome hence a great game with a shitty online system. What was wrong with Battlenet? In my opinion, it was the best matching system out of any game I played. It was easy to find games, chat with people, and even find random people to game with.

So overall, they originally planned no chat rooms, region locking, no LAN, and integration with facebook. I'm surprised Blizzard was not going to include any chat channels at all. At least they recently decided to put in private channels.but that will come with a patch after the game is released. Public channels would be nice as well but they are gone for good. It's too bad they are releasing an unfinished/gimped BNET.

I prefer the new custom game list, honestly. It just needs more sorting options and it'd be perfect.

And before anyone rages at my opinion, please remember how ~99% of the custom game rooms in WC3 were "DOTA NO NOOBS".

Cross realm chat is being addressed, and LAN is being provided for events. Also they mentioned chat rooms are coming some time after release. Have you used battle.net 2.0? I think the interface is amazing and I love all of the new features. I think the match making system is amazing, and as it stands it's still one of the best online services to date.

Are you guys serious with the "i don't get why bnet 2.0 is getting hate?"

Here's a little experiment: Try to host a game for someone that's not on your friends list and not make it public.

You can't? Oh, ok.

Downloaded a new map yesterday and want to play it today but it says "map not found"? What happened? Didn't I download it? Hmmmmmmmm. Oh that's right, Bnet 2.0 now controls that.

Downloaded a new map yesterday and want to play it today but it says "map not found"? What happened? Didn't I download it? Hmmmmmmmm. Oh that's right, Bnet 2.0 now controls that.

Actually that just means the author of the map removed it.

There are just a couple of problems I saw during the beta. The lack of public chat channels really makes you feel as though you're by yourself. Unless you always have friends on that are willing to chat, there isn't really a way to "chill" while logged in and read some shenanigans in a chat room. No more scrolling text of different people that makes you feel you're a part of a much larger experience than you realize.

Second problem is the inability to name your custom games. Not being able to name the games prevents people from being able to describe specific rules before people join. Such as "4v4 NR15" (no rush 15 mins) or "DotA all random" etc.

Exactly. That system itself is bullcrap. Honestly I can't think of another custom game system in any game where that can happen.

My guess is that it's easier to control what gets put up out there. If there's something inappropriate or malicious, it can get removed quickly and not spread virally by many users.

So after 12 years SC2 is coming out and BNET2.0 doesn't look good at all. I played the Beta and SC2 is awesome hence a great game with a shitty online system. What was wrong with Battlenet? In my opinion, it was the best matching system out of any game I played. It was easy to find games, chat with people, and even find random people to game with.

So overall, they originally planned no chat rooms, region locking, no LAN, and integration with facebook. I'm surprised Blizzard was not going to include any chat channels at all. At least they recently decided to put in private channels.but that will come with a patch after the game is released. Public channels would be nice as well but they are gone for good. It's too bad they are releasing an unfinished/gimped BNET.

the problem with public channels and even gpgnet had this problem is that you have to monitor them which means you have to have people in there at all times to control it.. but if you dont do that.. then you have run a word filter and then that creates another problem with pissing people off because they just cant handle not being able to swear.. but then on top of that if you do have people monitoring the channels you tend to get power abusing idiots in there that think they can do what ever they want so that in its self causes a problem.. if you leave the chats private then they dont have to do any of that and it doesnt cost them resources or man power to keep the channels there.. this was the primary reason that supreme commander 2 went to steam and didnt stay on GPGnet though people want to say its because gpgnet sucks.. that really wasnt why they switched..

the problem with public channels and even gpgnet had this problem is that you have to monitor them which means you have to have people in there at all times to control it.. but if you dont do that.. then you have run a word filter and then that creates another problem with pissing people off because they just cant handle not being able to swear.. but then on top of that if you do have people monitoring the channels you tend to get power abusing idiots in there that think they can do what ever they want so that in its self causes a problem.. if you leave the chats private then they dont have to do any of that and it doesnt cost them resources or man power to keep the channels there.. this was the primary reason that supreme commander 2 went to steam and didnt stay on GPGnet though people want to say its because gpgnet sucks.. that really wasnt why they switched..

From what I've read (and I really hope I'm wrong or they've changed it) is that the private channels were being set up for clans and that you had to be a member of that clan or you can't enter it. What would be nice is if only people on a list you send to battlenet could enter your channel. That way the default would be to disallow and shouldn't have the problem of bots spamming private channels even though they should be locked out and still be able to let anyone into the channel you want to. I hope this is the way they are setting it up or something similar.

No public rooms? Man we're going to be screwed with Diablo 3 then.

Public rooms were a godsend in diablo 2 (despite the spammers). It was always easy to find a trade, or a rush, or even just a casual party.

I also agree with Yoshiyuki, it made it feel like playing with a larger group. Sometime I wouldn't even play the game, but hang out in the chatroom, chilling or helping noobs, or clicking the crystal :)

Cross realm chat is being addressed, and LAN is being provided for events. Also they mentioned chat rooms are coming some time after release. Have you used battle.net 2.0? I think the interface is amazing and I love all of the new features. I think the match making system is amazing, and as it stands it's still one of the best online services to date.

Ya private chat rooms will eventually be implemented. Thing is BNET was not broken and also had a decent matching system with WC3. It was cool to be able to play any blizzard game and be in the same room as friends who were on different games. While that is nothing major what is disappointing is there will be no public chat rooms. As someone else said, it was nice to feel being part of a larger community. LAN is another thing that should have stayed but I guess it going away is no surprise since the same company got rid of dedicated servers in MW2.

I found the old Battle.net to be horribly broken in so many ways. I actually prefer v2 all of the way but I'm mostly a single-player gamer anyways.

Pisses me off that I can't play with my buddies from Russia. Blizzard really dropped a ball on cross realm play,..

I found the old Battle.net to be horribly broken in so many ways. I actually prefer v2 all of the way but I'm mostly a single-player gamer anyways.

What was broken about the old Battle.net?

There's nothing that the bnet 2.0 does better except for making a master list of uploaded custom games which was available on websites anyway.

What was broken about the old Battle.net?

There's nothing that the bnet 2.0 does better except for making a master list of uploaded custom games which was available on websites anyway.

The whole interface lost its lustre a long time after its inception. It needed a revamp at least at year 6 but kept going. It wasn't whether it had certain features but actually updated the GUI. This didn't happen since SC & BN were fully integrated. I just prefer v2 due to this.

Not trying to crap on people's joy for BN v1.

I like both the old BNet and BNet v2. For people sad about no chat rooms, I guess you can go to the SC2 forums and chat with people. If you are on the forums, you won't be In-game, but at least you will be chatting with other players.

I will miss the public chat rooms that were in D2, but the public chat rooms were always filled with item-spammers, so I could never actually talk to people. I was never part of a group, so I wasn't talking in private chat rooms. Who knows, maybe they will add in the feature in D3 to help with trading??

Cannot believe how someone of you believe Bnet 2.0 is an improvement.

Try to message someone in game that's not on your friend's list.

Try to look up someone's profile that's not on your friend's list. Try to look up profiles period for a specific player.

Try to host an in game scrim game with 10 people (something like DOTA) without adding everyone to your friend's list.

Try to send a message to your friends that's not some retarded toast that just constantly repeats itself.

Try to hold multiple conversations while in game without having to press tab five times. That's right, /w is gone.

Try to host a game of a map you downloaded but the author took down (authors can only have 3 up at a time anyway).

Try to FIND that map you downloaded yesterday but forgot the name of. As in, try to even browse the maps you've downloaded (that's right, you can't).

Try to host a custom game that's not 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, or FFA (i.e. host something like 2v2v2v2) - I bet most of you have NO CLUE where to start for this. It's really stupid - trust me.

Try to NAME the game you just hosted. You can't.

I don't think it's an improvement over all, I just don't think that it's bad. Being able to look at stats and host custom games is very important, and I'm sure it will improve. They wanted to try a new way of match making, it might not be better now but I'm sure it will get better. I think Blizzard is aware of the limitations of their current service, and I'm sure they want most of the features that the community wants as well.

I think the matchmaking for ladder matches is an improvement, and I like how chat works with individuals. I was never a fan of using /w it was such a headache to type everyone's name out. Also if someone messages you, you can type "/r" to reply. I didn't realize having huge private conversations was a big part of games, I don't see how typing /w and five different people's names is any easier than what they've done.

I think you're right about a lot of things, but it's a little too vehement for the overall quality of the service.

I do miss having a huge ladder compiled with all of the stats and being able to look at player profiles by typing in their names, but I also think that's a feature that will reappear at some point as well. I'm not too worried about it I guess, I think everything will get better post-release.

I prefer the new custom game list, honestly. It just needs more sorting options and it'd be perfect.

And before anyone rages at my opinion, please remember how ~99% of the custom game rooms in WC3 were "DOTA NO NOOBS".

Yeah, I hated that. "NO DLERS" also really annoyed me.

Maybe Blizzard can push the release date back a couple more years :D

So BNet could use some improvements. Does it make the game unplayable? No. Is everyone happy the game is coming out? Hell yes.

Im sure Blizzard will do their best to improve BNet the best they can.

Maybe Blizzard can push the release date back a couple more years :D

So BNet could use some improvements. Does it make the game unplayable? No. Is everyone happy the game is coming out? Hell yes.

Im sure Blizzard will do their best to improve BNet the best they can.

That's the problem. It's not that they can't 'improve it', the decisions they made are their 'improvements'. The custom game system is setup to make them money. They saw DoTA and they saw $$.

The whole way the profiles / messaging works stems from their own reasons as well. It's quite the other way... they spent time to change bnet 1.0, not they ran out of time and could only come up with bnet 2.0 as we saw it in beta.

I mean a lot of it are small changes that just annoy me since they weren't broken at all in bnet 1.0, but my MAIN concern is the custom game system and the hopes that we don't fall into the app store style $1 per map deal for premium maps.

You're not going to see premium maps for a long, long time. It basically has to use 100% original assets to even qualify as a premium map.

I feel dirty saying this, but... some maps add so much to the game it's like DLC and only $1 is reasonable. Of course I'll take them for free from the users, but they are good downloadable content and they use the bells and whistles the programmers put in the editor.

I feel dirty saying this, but... some maps add so much to the game it's like DLC and only $1 is reasonable. Of course I'll take them for free from the users, but they are good downloadable content and they use the bells and whistles the programmers put in the editor.

If its app store style maybe, because they give free updates. Other wise if I have to pay for every single update I would go mad. I have like maybe 500 original WC3 Custom maps, but nearly 3000 actual maps, meaning a crap ton of updates for each map.

I mean a lot of it are small changes that just annoy me since they weren't broken at all in bnet 1.0, but my MAIN concern is the custom game system and the hopes that we don't fall into the app store style $1 per map deal for premium maps.

I think supply and demand will dictate where custom maps will successfully make money. Simple mods like DotA, that use most of the in-game assets, probably won't receive a whole lot of demand as a paid service if another user can copy it and publish it for free. At Blizzcon last year, the intent of paid maps was to get amateur developers making something with their game engine, with their own art assets, music, and designs. You know, stuff that costs actual money to produce and can't really be done on someone's free time.

I think supply and demand will dictate where custom maps will successfully make money. Simple mods like DotA, that use most of the in-game assets, probably won't receive a whole lot of demand as a paid service if another user can copy it and publish it for free. At Blizzcon last year, the intent of paid maps was to get amateur developers making something with their game engine, with their own art assets, music, and designs. You know, stuff that costs actual money to produce and can't really be done on someone's free time.

They can say that all they want, but that's no reason to limit uploads to 3 and also limit the map size without paying. I wouldn't mind bnet 2.0 controlling what I can or can't play based on the author's discretion... but limiting uploads pretty much forces authors to take down some maps.

I wasn't 100% sure on the restrictions of free maps. The limits you stated do seem to be a valid cause for concern.

Actually that just means the author of the map removed it.

Are you saying you can't locally host maps? If so, that's some intense bullshit.

I have yet to try out the new BNET but I'm guessing we'll see some changes/fixes in the following months (for the better). Also, Blizzard, please stay the hell away from DLC.

Cannot believe how someone of you believe Bnet 2.0 is an improvement.

Try to look up someone's profile that's not on your friend's list. Try to look up profiles period for a specific player.

Try to host an in game scrim game with 10 people (something like DOTA) without adding everyone to your friend's list.

Try to send a message to your friends that's not some retarded toast that just constantly repeats itself.

Try to hold multiple conversations while in game without having to press tab five times. That's right, /w is gone.

Try to host a game of a map you downloaded but the author took down (authors can only have 3 up at a time anyway).

Try to FIND that map you downloaded yesterday but forgot the name of. As in, try to even browse the maps you've downloaded (that's right, you can't).

Try to host a custom game that's not 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, or FFA (i.e. host something like 2v2v2v2) - I bet most of you have NO CLUE where to start for this. It's really stupid - trust me.

There is your reason right there, I've never done any of this so my experience has been good. ;)

You don't have to use all of the features to acknowledge that there's a problem though. I personally haven't used most of those features, but they do sound like they inhibit intuitive usage of the service.

To be fair though, not all of those I would say are strict negatives in the sense many I believe have positive elements to them for instance (keep in mind I haven't used Bnet since SC:BW) -

- You can only be directly contacted by people who choose to friend you, no chance of being harassed by people

- privacy advantage? I actually don't really like how stat tracking in a lot of modern games is openly viewable to everyone

- While the map limit thing is a downer, the ability for map authors to control the release and availability of their owns maps might be bad for the players, but would be beneficial for the map authors.

- This has pros and cons. I used to remember a lot of extremely obnoxious type names being made for games on SC, this would help curb that.

I'm not a fan of bnet myself mainly because....
no public chat, I never used this in SC1, but I want to find a practice buddy or something and I can't without it or going on forums.
I believe the whole custom maps idea in bnet is flawed now. Seems like we can only play the games blizzard deems as popular. Therefore new maps, would be very hard to play I believe. I don't liek the idea of joining a map. I don't like joining a game that doesn't actually exist. Then I find myself the host, and I am unfamiliar with the map so it's all bad.
It just seems so consolized everything is bulky, generic, but flashy looking.
match making seems to work decently. Although I seem to always be in the unfavored category.

Well I just spent the last hour trying to activate my retail box of SC2. Fuck battle net.

Pisses me off that I can't play with my buddies from Russia. Blizzard really dropped a ball on cross realm play,..

That's my number one complaint. The reason I'm told is a load balancing issue. Whereas the old battle.net system is nice and flexible and could take shifts in load pretty well, this new system would just break itself if everyone was allowed to play cross-realm.

Which speaks large volumes of suck to me about the whole b.net 2.0.

It's in the works but supposedly months away from being implemented.

I went back to StarCraft 1 because of B.net 2.0. I just can't stand it. Fuck you Activision!,

Back