Bluray vs DVD

Blu-ray player prices are falling just as fast if not faster than DVD.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jared701

[H]ard|Gawd
This quote was taken from an HD DVD hot deals thread
Please pick which option on the pole you believe the original poster meant by the way it's written.

"The sheer stupidity in this thread is astounding.

1) This is a no-name piece of crap player certainly no better than the S300.
2) DVD players cost several hundred dollars at first as well. Did you idiots all condemn DVD at that time due to prices as well? Blu-ray player prices are falling just as fast if not faster than DVD."

This quote was taken from an HD DVD hot deals thread
Please pick which option on the pole you believe the original poster meant by the way it's written.

"The sheer stupidity in this thread is astounding.

1) This is a no-name piece of crap player certainly no better than the S300.
2) DVD players cost several hundred dollars at first as well. Did you idiots all condemn DVD at that time due to prices as well? Blu-ray player prices are falling just as fast if not faster than DVD."

You shouldnt bring baseless arguments here from other forums.
I also dont see a pole?

Is this for gays only or for all people because prices drop faster for a gay.

My friends first DVD player from Toshiba was on sale for $799 back in 98 or so.
I bought a used PS2 as a DVD player since it was just tad more than a decent standalone DVD player. I bought it around the time when GTA3 was released.

wreck_fail.jpg

What are those two options supposed to mean?

He's asking what the following statement means.. or rather what the author of the statement meant.

"Blu-ray player prices are falling just as fast if not faster than DVD."

Does it mean that, as of today, the prices of DVD players and Bluray players are falling at an equal pace (dollar for dollar or percentage)?

example: If a $100 DVD player is $75 next week, then a $400 Bluray player will be $475 (dollar for dollar) or $300 (percentage).

or

Does it mean that back when DVD players came out they were expensive as hell, just as Bluray players are today, and that the drop in prices over time matches or exceeds that of DVD players back then?

example: If the typical DVD player that cost $1200 in 1996 was only $200 in 2000, then the typical Bluray player that cost $1200 in 2006 would only cost $200 or less in 2010.

Where is the "I dont care" option?

Honestly, all the people bickering about Blu-ray and all the other HD formats and such are just a bunch of little girls. 90% dont even know WTF they are talking about and all too many just make pointless rants over and over and over again.

He's asking what the following statement means.. or rather what the author of the statement meant.

"Blu-ray player prices are falling just as fast if not faster than DVD."

Does it mean that, as of today, the prices of DVD players and Bluray players are falling at an equal pace (dollar for dollar or percentage)?

example: If a $100 DVD player is $75 next week, then a $400 Bluray player will be $475 (dollar for dollar) or $300 (percentage).

or

Does it mean that back when DVD players came out they were expensive as hell, just as Bluray players are today, and that the drop in prices over time matches or exceeds that of DVD players back then?

example: If the typical DVD player that cost $1200 in 1996 was only $200 in 2000, then the typical Bluray player that cost $1200 in 2006 would only cost $200 or less in 2010.

Jeopardywhocares.jpg

On a broader note:

Why is it everyone acts like DVD players are more popular than BluRay?
If I had to buy one or the other for my HDTV obviously I would get a BluRay player instead of a DVD player.

The reason BluRay isn't doing well has nothing to do with DVD players. There are a ton of factors hindering BluRay way more than DVD. For one the fact that most TVs in use are still SDTVs. Also, its not like BluRay doesn't have competition. Think of all the places you can get HD content.

Believe it or not your average person doesn't even understand what HD means. No shit they don't care about the difference between DVD and Bluray. Average Joe doesn't even understand that the source of the content has to be in 720p/1080i/1080p.
This is why most people with HDTVs have the good ole 480i broadcast on stretched to fit their HDTV.
Then they tell you HDTVs suck.

Regardless all HD content will be distributed over the internet as soon as ISPs can support it. So good news for you guys in finland or whatever.

Bad news for roadrunner customers.

Hmm..

DVD vs Bluray.. I fail to see the [H]otness of this deal anywhere??

Bueller???

Back