Bluray - Digital Coaxial - RCA Audio

GreatestOne

Limp Gawd
Ok, client needs a new Blu-ray player. But she has an old multispeaker system that only uses RCA audio jacks. I cant seem to find any reasonable Bluray players with RCA jacks understandably. So I am planning on getting this

Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi

and also this

SANOXY® AGPtek Digital Optical Coax to Analog RCA Audio Converter Adapter

I assume this will work, but my real question is, connecting the adapter to the digital coaxial. Can I just use any of my RCA type monster cables I got lying around, or is there a "specific" spec for this type of cable? I dont wanna have to buy another if not needed since I got like 10 of these lying around. How do I tell if it will work... I dont have any devices at my place that uses digital coax.

One of the cables I have on the it reads:

MONSTER STANDARD • THX SUB • THX Certified Subwoofer Cable with High Density Double Shielding and Duraflex Protective Jacket • By Monster Cable • 1ft • Signal Flow > > >
(although the cable is more like 6 feet long... and I assume the signal flow direction must be adhered to?)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yep, any cable should work.
When the distance is very long, you may get into problems unless using a cable of the required impedance.
It wont matter which way round the signal flows.

Ok, client needs a new Blu-ray player. But she has an old multispeaker system that only uses RCA audio jacks. I cant seem to find any reasonable Bluray players with RCA jacks understandably. So I am planning on getting this

Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi

and also this

SANOXY® AGPtek Digital Optical Coax to Analog RCA Audio Converter Adapter

That DAC more than likely won't work. It'll just output static as it probably can't decode Dolby Digital or DTS. You'd need one more like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Orei-DA34-Dig...=1399163083&sr=1-1&keywords=dolby+digital+dac

I would assume that a tv is involved, why not go hdmi to the tv and the use the RCA outs to the speaker system.

Aticus has the best option. Do everything to the TV and then audio to the speaker system from the TV outs. I did the same thing for the in laws, and was MUCH easier.

On the same build, I ended up also feeding a Wii through the passthrough on a DVD/VCR combo because i'd run out of RCA ports. :eek:

I'll have to check the TV again, I thought it didnt have an RCA out but I'll check again... if so you are right, I should have checked when I was there before.

Back