Blunder of the Day: News Thinks Video Game Screenshot Is Real

Also interesting, is that you can see the apartment building where I live in the backdrop of that video.

Picture_4_383678.jpg

A SCREENSHOT of the popular video game Assassin's Creed has been used to represent Syria in a Danish news report from 2013.

This seems to happen with yearly regularity.. In 2012, the BBC illustrated another report about Syria with a logo from the video game "Halo". And the Beeb used a symbol of the United Nations Space Command, instead of the actual United Nations Security Council.

ITV also made a blunder in 2011, when a documentary presented footage from the game Arma 2 as a secret IRA film from 1988.

NoAgendaShow aka "The Best Podcast in the Universe" regularly airs clips from RT that are funny or easy to ridicule.

It should be pointed out that people involved in news media are generally around average IQ at best.

Link isn't working anymore, or at least, not loading for me :eek:.

RT is a Russian program right? So it's officially sanction by the Russian gvt. to operate.

Like they care about credibility....

Oh, RT news... I suppose it really isn't any different than Fox or MSNBC, just more of a Putin spins you decide slant.

It should be pointed out that people involved in news media are generally around average IQ at best.

And the people actually giving the news are nothing more than glorified parrots who are reading what they put in front of them without much thought.

This was my local news, I remember watching this when this actually happened and I did a very big face palm.. well after laughing for a while :D
1373658631-ktvu.jpg

That asiana troll of the "news" made my month. Always knew the local news people were imbeciles.

And the people actually giving the news are nothing more than glorified parrots who are reading what they put in front of them without much thought.

This was my local news, I remember watching this when this actually happened and I did a very big face palm.. well after laughing for a while :D
1373658631-ktvu.jpg

I know I am going to hell for it but I cannot, just cannot refuse to laugh out loud whenever I see Ho Lee Fuk..I mean the other's are funny, but that one just makes me laugh so hard*...

*on aother note, requesting your visa to Hell online is quite easy..It's a wonder more people don't visit more often:p..

1373658631-ktvu.jpg

That is unbelievable... did that really happen?? :eek:

That is unbelievable... did that really happen?? :eek:

Yes it really happened, I saw it happen live, and just said to myself... seriously? Holy shit they're stupid. And yeah you don't make a mistake like this without it going viral, hell the woman stomping on grapes who fell and sounded like a moose with a broken leg didn't go as viral as this did.

Russia Today sponsored by Putin so it's very credible. They're also claiming ML17 wouldn't have been hit if it flew at 35,000ft instead of 33,000ft when the operational ceiling is some 64,000ft.

Yes it really happened, I saw it happen live, and just said to myself... seriously? Holy shit they're stupid. And yeah you don't make a mistake like this without it going viral, hell the woman stomping on grapes who fell and sounded like a moose with a broken leg didn't go as viral as this did.

How could someone POSSIBLY read those names and not see the hidden meanings? Wow... there really ARE some stupid people in this world.

"Journalists" these days do nothing more than Google a subject as fast as possible, pic out the best looking pictures or info (wikipedia) they can find on the first page, and then throw it up on the TV screen. The shot down plane coverage was quite literally them with their browser open on google images, showing shots that RT and NYT times had posted.

Why do I need them again? I can surf the net myself.

Russia Today sponsored by Putin so it's very credible. They're also claiming ML17 wouldn't have been hit if it flew at 35,000ft instead of 33,000ft when the operational ceiling is some 64,000ft.

I find that hard to believe. No one outside US is stupid enough to use feet as a height metric.

Hey, don't insult parrots like that! Parrots actually know what they're talking about.

If you went to a 4 year university and spent any time around communications majors, this isn't difficult to believe.
C averages, drunk 5 nights out of the week, getting some strange as often as possible, etc.
Geology 101 or Bio 101 as their only science course.
Yeah, I believe it.

Most people are around average at best.

Oh, RT news... I suppose it really isn't any different than Fox or MSNBC, just more of a Putin spins you decide slant.

And somebody (government, big business, station execs..) puts a spin on ours. So no it isn't any different. There is no real news anywhere on any news outlet.

Having watched the part of the show where this image was, I guess I am missing the issue. I didn't see where they were showing the picture talking about it being real, I didn't see where it was displayed on screen during the guy talking, it was just on a screen that they happen to pass over. Could have been something they were going to reference but then skipped about how even games have referenced the act of kids being forced into armies.

Had you blinked you would have missed them pan over the image.

5min 50sec into the video for the lazy
3:44 it looks like, too.

For the record, the news isn't claiming these are real pictures. They are deceptively showing screenshots from the game at skewed angles to sensationalize their program. It's pitiful, but all major news outlets skew their results. NBC/CBS/CNN/ABC skew left of center, FOX skews right.

Just try your favorite search engine and see what kind of results you get... When the 2008 election results were going, Yahoo! had all of the Democrat party candidates on the front page - you had to click an arrow to scroll to see the Republican party candidates. Wouldn't you hope a search engine tries to be neutral?

Back