BlueMail and Office 365

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I'm trying to get the BlueMail application to work with my Office 365 account. Has anyone been able to do so? It claims to have full support, and even an option to choose as mail server type. I'm greeted with the proper Office 365 login screen, I choose Work, enter my credentials, and nothing. The inbox sits at loading, without ever showing me any content. Their support has been unhelpful.

I've tried on two separate machines and one virtual machine. Once with Fedora, and two with Ubuntu. No luck.

I'm trying to get the BlueMail application to work with my Office 365 account. Has anyone been able to do so? It claims to have full support, and even an option to choose as mail server type. I'm greeted with the proper Office 365 login screen, I choose Work, enter my credentials, and nothing. The inbox sits at loading, without ever showing me any content. Their support has been unhelpful.

I've tried on two separate machines and one virtual machine. Once with Fedora, and two with Ubuntu. No luck.

Does it work under Windows?

I'll have to find another laptop or spin up another VM to test, but that would be a good idea.

Yes, I verified from the same laptops/VM that I can use my web login to the portal.

Nope, and I've been able to use third-party apps before. I had Hiri running without a problem on the same account.

Nope, and I've been able to use third-party apps before. I had Hiri running without a problem on the same account.

Try this. Goto the outlook.office365.com, top right click your profile and goto account settings. Under Security and Privacy let me know if you can create an application password. If you can, create one and use that password for signing into the app with.

I spun up a Windows 10 VM, loaded BlueMail with the same account, and it works perfectly. So, it seems that it has to be something about the default install of Ubuntu that isn't allowing the connectivity once I put in my account credentials. Those are accepted without issue.

I spun up a Windows 10 VM, loaded BlueMail with the same account, and it works perfectly. So, it seems that it has to be something about the default install of Ubuntu that isn't allowing the connectivity once I put in my account credentials. Those are accepted without issue.

sudo ufw status? You aren't installing the Snap are you?

Yes to the Snap. I didn't see any other way. UFW status is inactive. If wouldn't run under Fedora at all, so I'm questioning the usability of their Linux application.

I installed the Snap and configured my domain's email that's hosted via Gsuite. 2FA authentication worked perfectly and as far as I can tell the account was configured using oauth as opposed to straight IMAP. Calendar synced perfectly, as did contacts. The software itself just looks like an Electron wrapper.

It would be nice to to disable conversation view and look at my calendar as an entire week as opposed to just one day or an agenda list. I'll definitely be keeping this in mind as an alternative for customers as it's quite pretty, which customers like, and it supports all platforms. For my own purposes I think I'll stick to good 'ol Thunderbird with the Lightning addon, but I might give this a bit of a go.

I am a bit worried about privacy regarding this software I will admit.

I wish I had an O365 or at least an Exchange account to test it with to see if I can get such an account up and running successfully, have you checked to make sure that firewall is disabled just for diagnosis purposes? (EDIT: I see you did). Can you go into Settings > Various Account Settings and see how the account is configured? In my case it doesn't show a lot, but it may show more in the case of Exchange? It sounds like an authorization issue, anything in the O365 logs?

As an alternative, have you had a look at MailSpring? That claims to support O365.

8RJvVKql.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I can't do more, I just don't have any O365 accounts I can 'legally' test with unfortunately. However, the software does at least run and work for the most part under my distro.

No worries re: Mailspring.

Back