Blue Sky eXo2 2.1 The best desktop speakers in the WORLD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesun311

2[H]4U
Recently I went looking for a nice *small* 2.1 audio system for my "gaming" rig.

IMG_04371_zpse14acc88.jpg~original

I've never really had the space to turn up the volume and I've never had a really good quality home system before. But when car stereo was still cool ;) I built several very complex SQ competition level systems with tons of power and high current to feed them clean signal. I used time delay systems, line drivers and dash mounted EQs with band pass filters so you could always dial in the bass. People would laugh when they would pull up and I'd be absolutely blasting something totally goofy like Enya "Sail Away" with nice deep bass at ~120db--the kind that makes your lungs feel weird because the air inside is vibrating while you are trying to breathe it. Funny, but deadly serious equipment: Focal and Dynaudio. Analog and Digital Systems (a/d/s). Nakamichi. I wasn't messing around.

Well, I still don't have the space (nor the desire) to listen to music at volumes like that. But I did want a pretty good system for my desktop... just, I don't have a lot of room on my desk--but--I have a nicely resonant corner spot. Well, I've always thought 8" subs gave the best bass overall, because I like 120Hz (in more ways than one...) more than 60Hz and 8s tend to have an easier time creating even response with 100-140Hz wavelengths than larger subs, especially without breaking the bank. Likewise, I prefer the tightness of a well made sealed enclosure. So I went to Best Buy.

Fail.

I went home empty-handed because I didn't want a Logitech or Bose system and they were all out of the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 systems. I felt like $140 dollars was cheaper than I wanted to spend on the whole system, but I didn't know what else to look for either. Out of laziness and the assumption that good ol' Dad's favorite brand would come through for me, I ordered a set of Wireless ProMedia's direct from Klipsch. There's another thread about that here, but needless to say I was not pleased with them and went looking for a better alternative for my tastes prepared to throw a good deal more money at the problem.

IMG_0430_zps9209a095.jpg~original

I ended up with these eXo2 2.1 Speakers from loudspeaker designers Blue Sky, based out of New York. The system was built in China and at first glance did not fit with my ideal color scheme. Now that I have them here, they are stylish and look excellent. The finish is a pleasing sort of faux hospital chrome texture with a nice two tone silver-grey contrast between smooth bezels and contoured cabinets on the little satellite monitors.

IMG_0421_zps49bcf68a.jpg~original

IMG_0418_zps077fc083.jpg~original

The sub has the same silvery plaster-of-Paris finish, but a sturdy cloth grill is added (the satellites don't have them, we just take them off anyway) and the 10" box is much much heavier than it looks.

IMG_0419_zps11d5ee96.jpg~original

(the little gap you see in the cone next to the dust cap is the "vent"; it's how the voice coil is cooled since the rest of the system is sealed.)

The preamp module is fantastic. Unlike the Klipsch system, the eXo2 is set up with a professional level of gain and has plenty of room to dial and adjust the overall volume with extremely low noise transferred from source to speaks. I found the Klipsch system extremely boomy and loud even at low gain, and it seemed to force me to control the volume with the audio driver control. Maybe it really doesn't matter but I like actual real life knobs for volume. The one on my keyboard annoys me.

So is this the best desktop speaker system in the world? No, probably not. The bass is not going to be "hood" enough for some people. The sub is doing a lot of work in a higher octave than the Klipsch sub goes. The Klipsch system is missing all of this detail in the mids and the tweets aren't much better. I think people get fooled into thinking it's got good SQ because it can go loud without breaking up, but it's not a good flat tonal response in my opinion. That's what I expected from this Blue Sky system, and that is what I found.

From the thread that brought me to these speakers:
I'd be surprised if the Exo2 sounds anything near to the Klipsch. They should completely blow them out of the water, if what I've read is accurate. IMHO, sounding just as good would be unacceptable for the price.

IMG_0420_zps227d0b81.jpg~original

Oh good lord. Blue Sky is for real. Blown out of the water is about right. These are the sweetest and most detailed little speakers I've ever had in a home system by far. The bass is clean and tight. The midbass is right there. Everything is where it should be, staging seems wider than the space I have for them. Always amazes me what good engineering can do. If I hadn't known better it would have seemed like the Klipsch 2.1 system was about as good as a small system can get. The eXo2's sound like full-range speakers with large cones. They aren't overly boomy like the ProMedias, but the subbass is there and you can dial it in more if you want. What I was hoping for was mid extension and power handling, and good highs. Blue Sky delivered.

And by the way, the main reason I got rid of the Klipsch system was because it made a horrendous POP or THUMP every time my system went to sleep or woke up regardless of gain levels because the system amp has no power mute relay (the $140 ProMedia system doesn't have an on off switch on it at all, just a power cord)... to a car stereo guy this is completely unthinkable. Fortunately, The eXo2 2.1 system is built to last, in my humble opinion, and so of course it has a mute relay. That was a nice "win" moment when I tested powering the computer system on and off. Doesn't matter if you have the computer on the same surge protector or not, it powers on *very* quietly and shuts down silent.

Last edited:
Going off this and the aforementioned thread that diverged about this set, these are apparently indeed really lovely monitor-grade speakers...albeit with a monitor-grade $500-ish price tag. The subwoofer not being overly boomy (my one and only nitpick with the vaunted first-gen ProMedia 2.1 set, which at least had a power switch) is definitely a bonus, IMO. Out of curiosity, though, what sound card--or DAC--are you feeding them from?

I've been using the onboard audio :D

And yes it's not ideal. Was waiting to see what inputs I would end up with so now I have RCA in and I have a xonar essence otw.

I think comparing two systems off a mediocre DAC is fine as long as they both get the same treatment. The quality of the crossovers and in particular the warm of the mids and the crystalline transparency and complete absence of fatigue at surprisingly high frequency response. The newer Klipsch system really suffers there. They sound muted like the response is rolling off pretty sharply above 12kHz and that's pretty much impossible to address, much less with an onboard sound card.

Blue: Thanks for posting. I never heard of Blue Sky products until you posted here. If you like them, then that's all that's matters. I can't get really excited about a 3" driver & 1" tweeter for satellites myself. But, if it's what works in your room. Also, the sub doesn't seem too be anything special. But I'll admit, size doesn't always matter. The Audio Engine A2+ aren't bad speakers for the coin.

For almost a $500.00 price tag, you could have started with a decent receiver with built-in DAC's & worked your way up. I just moved over from a pre-made Cambridge Soundworks set-up that I thought was great. I was wrong. Venomous set me straight. Yes...I spent $1200.00, but my system is now complete. I took his advice & did some research. So glad I did!

Buying a pre-packaged system is easy to set-up & for most people it's works. I was one of them not too long ago. Too bad you didn't audition the Definitive Technology Incline's I suggested @ $399.00 (built-in solid DAC) My bet is it would put those BS satellites are shame. You could have added a sub later. Upside? maybe the two-year warranty.

Good Luck with them Blue.

I've been using the onboard audio :D
No! Bad!

And yes it's not ideal. Was waiting to see what inputs I would end up with so now I have RCA in and I have a xonar essence otw.

I think comparing two systems off a mediocre DAC is fine as long as they both get the same treatment. The quality of the crossovers and in particular the warm of the mids and the crystalline transparency and complete absence of fatigue at surprisingly high frequency response. The newer Klipsch system really suffers there. They sound muted like the response is rolling off pretty sharply above 12kHz and that's pretty much impossible to address, much less with an onboard sound card.
Okay, I can accept that...it's still kind of a low bar for comparative purposes, but okay. On the bright side, going from onboard to something on the order of a Xonar Essence STX (II?) with speakers this good may well qualify as a religious experience...

Buying a pre-packaged system is easy to set-up & for most people it's works. I was one of them not too long ago. Too bad you didn't audition the Definitive Technology Incline's I suggested @ $399.00 (built-in solid DAC) My bet is it would put those BS satellites are shame. You could have added a sub later. Upside? maybe the two-year warranty.

I actually went to Best Buy (the closest one with a Magnolia department) to test those out for a second; upon your recommendation in the previous topic. I wasn't able to discern their quality though, however it seems they can get pretty loud without distorting. Other speakers playing movies in the area didn't help either. The thing then stopped playing when I pressed the volume buttons on the side, however-now that I reflect on it- I probably, mistakenly, pressed the power-button that's near the volume control. :D I was in a rush though.

I'd wager a home-audition would have been better. I'd rather have something like this though.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr305#.U3uqsfldXEk

On thing's for certain, the Incline's are bigger than the impression given in stock photos.

Could it put the Exo2 sats to shame? Probably on their own, since the Incline's are intended to cover the mids, highs and lows; a good chunk of the frequency spectrum. However, the Exo2's sats simply focus on the highs and mids; whilst leaving the low-end work to a dedicated sub-woofer. It does reach to 140hz though. Blue Sky claims they crossover should be seamless.

The quality of the crossovers and in particular the warm of the mids and the crystalline transparency and complete absence of fatigue at surprisingly high frequency response.

You're making me want to get a pair. I'll keep my eye on this system.

Heflys: The Blue Sky 2.1 set-up could be that good as I never auditioned them. I'm glad you went to Magnolia/BB to listen to the Definitive Technology Inclines. In my case, Magnolia had them set-up in a perfect spot via a computer & using the USB DAC. I was truly impressed. They are a bi-polar speaker, so placement is really key. They are rather tall @ "11.5" tall, but only 5" wide & 2.5" deep.

If you like those JBL LSR305's then grab a pair! They are fairly inexpensive @ $149.00 each. I kind of always thought JBL speakers were Cerwin Vega "lights" Good Rock & Roll speakers.

Blue, if you dig your set-up, that's all that matters. I like the fact the BS come with a 2-year warranty, as it should for that price tag. Give them 40+ hours for break-in duty & I'm sure they'll get better.

Blue: Thanks for posting. I never heard of Blue Sky products until you posted here. If you like them, then that's all that's matters. I can't get really excited about a 3" driver & 1" tweeter for satellites myself. But, if it's what works in your room. Also, the sub doesn't seem too be anything special. But I'll admit, size doesn't always matter. The Audio Engine A2+ aren't bad speakers for the coin.

For almost a $500.00 price tag, you could have started with a decent receiver with built-in DAC's & worked your way up. I just moved over from a pre-made Cambridge Soundworks set-up that I thought was great. I was wrong. Venomous set me straight. Yes...I spent $1200.00, but my system is now complete. I took his advice & did some research. So glad I did!

Good Luck with them Blue.

I did check those DT inclines out and I was impressed by the extension they had for their size but I got the feeling any reflex trickery on the low end with that set was going to be where they start to come up short. Also, I looked into the DT's and they take about 30 minutes to warm up. The Blue Sky system is in a whole other league on the low end (you get the 60Hz pulses full and thick like the Klipsch system, but you also get the 140Hz fret sounds from the electric base on U2 "With or Without You", which the Klipsch can't do accurately at all). The upright bass playing on the opening tune of Diana Krall: Live in Paris, "I love Being Here with You" is a real workout on mids AND bottom end and the Blue Sky system can both bring enough SPL to make the walls and my 200 pound solid oak desk vibrate softly and also control dynamics on top of this. You get perfect detail off your source even with the sub doing so many things simultaneously. So while you've got all this low end warmth flowing, you still get a perfect tight jazz bass drum THUMP on top, which is ACCENTED instead of just there. It's like, "OK we're as loud as we can get now and it's beautiful, but that's it." Then: "OH, nope there's another even higher dynamic available for emphasis. Nevermind. Jeez, mind blown." For Jazz this is really important especially big band jazz because its frikkin loud and busy already and then the drummer is just waiting... swingin' away, and BAM the whole band hits this accent with the rim shot pushing your mid driver hard at the same time as the tiny little bass drums those guys use, and the bass player has been sandbagging the whole time so you really need good control of alllll the drivers with dynamic power available in reserve. I did not feel this like this sense of "comfort" like the tightrope walker CANT fall with the Klipsch's nor did expect to feel it at all with those DTs.

The eXo2 expects you to have your signal sorted out before you put it through the preamp. I was intentionally avoiding systems with built in DACs and USB wireless transmitters, because I was trying to avoid DC thump. All of my USB ports cause DC thump from being powered on all the time. I use a power conditioning battery backup for the computer and it makes the USB ports hot. If I touch my keyboard with the computer off, all the LEDs come on. Nice but weird. Same with my mouse, LED comes on if I touch it while the computer is powered down. This is why the Klipsch Wireless system I was so pissed off about pops SOOOOO loud. It doesn't have a mute relay (the DT inclines probably do but BestBuy employees don't know and I couldn't even tell from looking at reviews, you have to buy them and test) and the source (the DAC) is powered on even if the computer is off. You have no choice but to make the wireless Klipsch's BOOM every time they turn off and on. Absolute train wreck of a product in my opinion and just soured me on USB DACs in general, though I know for a fact some are excellent. Even the non-wireless Klipsch ProMedias pop and thump as anyone who owns them can tell you, but it isn't near as loud as the wireless ones. They either leave them powered on 24/7 or deal with it.

Last edited:
I previously owned a 2.1 system somewhat similar to what eXo2 is going for. The M-Audio LX4 2.1. I will say this, there's something to be said for a system that's easy to set up, doesn't take much room, already has the level matching and bass management handled internally, ect. Blue Sky is known to make quality products, and I like their inclusion of a compact gain/volume pod.

I'm glad you went to Magnolia/BB to listen to the Definitive Technology Inclines. In my case, Magnolia had them set-up in a perfect spot via a computer & using the USB DAC. I was truly impressed.

My Best Buy had it in the middle of a listening area surrounded by B&W floor-standing speaks and subs; as well as some Def Tech home-theater systems. One of the systems was playing the Tron sequel. It was a completely unacceptable listening environment.

They are a bi-polar speaker, so placement is really key. They are rather tall @ "11.5" tall, but only 5" wide & 2.5" deep.

It took me a minute to actually notice the speakers attached to the display (no separate setup :mad:). I was looking for something smaller. LOL.

If you like those JBL LSR305's then grab a pair! They are fairly inexpensive @ $149.00 each. I kind of always thought JBL speakers were Cerwin Vega "lights" Good Rock & Roll speakers.

I probably will. I was considering the Emotiva Airmotiv 5, but I heard these JBL's sound exceptional and are affordable. 5 year warranty on the speakers and a 3 year warranty on the amp too. When I get the space, they'll be my "computer" speakers.

Last edited:
No! Bad!

Okay, I can accept that...it's still kind of a low bar for comparative purposes, but okay. On the bright side, going from onboard to something on the order of a Xonar Essence STX (II?) with speakers this good may well qualify as a religious experience...

Yeah the STX! Looking forward to it. I haven't had a really good DAC since about 2002 when my eclipse head unit quit on me. Was a 24bit burr brown iirc. Compared to the clarion it replaced was night and day. Best system I ever had was a Nakamichi source with a big giant a/d/s amp feeding JL 8s and a bunch of Boston Acoustics 6.5s. At the time it seemed like everything was made well. This was like 1995. 8 years later a good DAC was hard to find. Alpine had taken over and things just weren't the same anymore. Eclipse made good units.

Didn't know there was an STX II but unless it's smaller I wouldn't be interested probably.

Best? Doesn't look like Scan Speak drivers to me, so definitely not.

Sorry I wasn't including products that I have to build myself in my definition of "desktop speakers". Are you serious? Scan speaks are drivers. That's it. I bought an entire sound system here, including amplifiers and crossovers.

Sorry I wasn't including products that I have to build myself in my definition of "desktop speakers". Are you serious? Scan speaks are drivers. That's it. I bought an entire sound system here, including amplifiers and crossovers.

Did you seriously think I was unaware of this? For speakers to be "the best," they need to start with drivers that are "the best," and add quality crossover and box design and other stuff. You can make great speakers from non-Scan Speak drivers, but not the best. And I design and build speakers (and occasionally I build amplifiers); you won't outsmart me on the subject.

Blame yourself for using the word best, even if you came to your senses later in your post. I'm sure they're decent, but you're the one who pulled the word "best" out of your ass. Just because you buy a particular thing doesn't make that thing "the best in the world," and you shouldn't go on to describe it that way, even if you later conclude otherwise. It's a very tabloid-y attention-whoring thing to do.

Last edited:
Did you seriously think I was unaware of this? For speakers to be "the best," they need to start with drivers that are "the best," and add quality crossover and box design and other stuff. You can make great speakers from non-Scan Speak drivers, but not the best. And I design and build speakers (and occasionally I build amplifiers); you won't outsmart me on the subject.

Blame yourself for using the word best, even if you came to your senses later in your post. I'm sure they're decent, but you're the one who pulled the word "best" out of your ass. Just because you buy a particular thing doesn't make that thing "the best," and you shouldn't go on to describe it that way.

Wow troll it up mr I build my own speakers. It says "DESKTOP speakers" If you don't have anything worthwhile to add to my thread please don't post in it. The title of thread has a question mark on the end not a period. It doesn't say they are the best, it asks if there are better small desktop systems.

Wow troll it up mr I build my own speakers. It says "DESKTOP speakers" If you don't have anything worthwhile to add to my thread please don't post in it.

I added worthwhile information correction your ridiculous claim of "the best in the world" -- makes you seem like you work for the company (BlueSun, Blue Sky? Hmm) and you're doing viral marketing here. Normal people don't make threads calling their latest purchases "the best ____ in the world." Not even I do that, and I actually know what I'm talking about.

And I will post in your thread again.

Actually what you are doing is thread crapping. I made no such "claims" I asked a question. You come in here looking for a fight. Yep Ima give you one. If you read the stupid thread you'd know I have nothing to do with Blue sky its a coincidence. I've been here for 9 frikkin months. You need to stop being paranoid and listen to more music.

Actually what you are doing is thread crapping. I made no such "claims" I asked a question. You come in here looking for a fight. Yep Ima give you one. If you read the stupid thread you'd know I have nothing to do with Blue sky its a coincidence. I've been here for 9 frikkin months. You need to stop being paranoid and listen to more music.

If I go out and buy a new Honda Civic tomorrow, I'm not going to make a thread on forums saying "Honda Civic - the best car in the WORLD?" Title your thread ridiculously and you're going to get people telling you that you titled your thread ridiculously. Be realistic and you'll find people are also realistic.

The way you say things matters.

Last edited:
If I go out and buy a new Honda Civic tomorrow, I'm not going to make a thread on forums saying "Honda Civic - the best car in the WORLD?"

Where'd all this rage come from, DanDragon? Having a bad day? Does it infuriate you so when people make misleading thread titles with question marks on the end?

If I go out and buy a new Honda Civic tomorrow, I'm not going to make a thread on forums saying "Honda Civic - the best car in the WORLD?" Title your thread ridiculously and you're going to get people telling you that you titled your thread ridiculously. Be realistic and you'll find people are also realistic.

He asked if these were the best computer speakers available. He even left a question mark since such a claim cannot be answered. Everyone will have their own preference.

What's the problem again?

255_zpseefbd8f8.gif~original

Don't have to say much :D

This guy works for Klipsch and hes maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

I owned a Promedia 2.1 THX set in the past as well. It is terrible and I regretted buying it nearly immediately. The tweeters have crazy amounts of distortion, the crossover is basic and junky, and the subwoofer is tuned way too high to achieve more quantity of bass at the cost of quality. They do produce lots of volume for the size but at the direct cost of distortion. I have heard few desktop speaker systems that can match it in volume, but I have also heard few (zero, in fact) desktop systems that are as ear-piercingly shrill sounding. I have no doubt that your new speakers beat the Klipsch in every way other than bass quantity, but overstating your argument is an easy way to lose it.

You simply should have titled your thread, "Check out my new speakers - Blue Sky Exo 2.1." Don't blame me that you titled your thread like a Tabloid. Keep in mind I was going to stick with one response, but if you want to argue over your poor choice of wording, well, whatever. It's been done.

Edit: Fine; I saw the ProMedia crap and skipped some lines because people on this forum still love that garbage and I've developed a filter for it. Anyway, you should learn to deal with stress better, man. I'm just saying that it's hard to take someone seriously when they make a crazy argument like your thread title did. My first reply wasn't even particularly serious (I'd have thrown some "lol"s in there if I were young and hip) but you wanted an argument so you got one. If you want to question my knowledge on the subject when I've already demonstrated that knowledge (if I didn't know the difference between a speaker and a driver, I wouldn't have SAID driver) then you're responsible for thread derailment that you keep trying to call thread crapping. Your threats of physical violence (to those who didn't see, it's because he privmsged them to me) go quite overboard. Seek mental help.

Last edited:
I ordered a set of Wireless ProMedia's direct from Klipsch. There's another thread about that here, but needless to say I was not pleased with them and went looking for a better alternative for my tastes prepared to throw a good deal more money at the problem.

You must be reading a different thread. This is not equivalent to liking the Klipsch ProMedia system. I have two threads now where I tear the promedias apart without being a complete troll, and now you are not only shitting on my thread but all the folks who are perfectly happy with their promedias since they aren't obsessed with speakers in quite the same way you are. Thanks very much for your prospective but with all do respect your speaker building experience means nothing in this context. You've offered no insight or alternatives to the system presented herein. You are correct that the only thing the klipschs have on the exo2 is bass volume and it is a very slim margin. On the other hand they are shimmering and accurate at that volume across the entire frequency spectrum, while the Klipsch mids and tweets sound like a car accident trying to keep up with the mediocre but loud bass.

If you'd followed the thread where I decide to send the Klipsch speakers back at a loss in order to get something different you'd know I was strongly considering the focal xs 2.1 system. There are other boutique *small sized* systems like these around but the blue sky system was the one I picked. This thread was supposed to be about that system and others like it. Not "what are the best loudspeakers available regardless of if they are small or not or even fully built". Try another day when you've had more sleep, less alcohol or whatever it is that went wrong here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back