Blue Screens after login, w7 and vista

v6maro

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok this issue just recently started- I was on vista sp2 for like a year or two without an issue. W7 comes out, so I ghost(v14) my vista install, and clean install W7(x64). I use the nvidia 190.38 drivers, no issues. Last week I start to run CS:S and I get a scrambled screen, then the system hangs or the monitor goes into standby mode (basically, the video fails). This happened about 2-3 times. Yesterday, things got worse. Every time I loaded CS:S the scrambled screen would come up, I even got one blue-screen. I tried different drivers, 190.66, and 185.xx. No fixy. I re-installed CS:S, no fixy. During these reboots, it randomly scrambles AFTER I get to the W7 login screen. I login, it thinks, then bam, scrambled screen. I say screw it, I’ll go back to my vista(x32) install. Place the ghost disk in, recover to my old vista image (only 14 days old), I go to login, bam, same issue. It seems like once it kicks to 3d mode, the video is failing. Before I ghosted back to vista, in W7 I ran CS:S and had nothing but crashing issues. Then I tried to run Street Fighter 4, I ran that without an issue…WTF?

Now I’m starting to think it’s a hardware issue, but I’m not sure? Why would it run SF4 fine, but not CS:S? Does css run in d3d and sf4 in opengl? Could my card just be a dud after 2yrs?

(everything back to stock clocks 6+months ago)
Evga 280GTX
Evga 680i mobo
Intel Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
Corsair 2gb XMS (matched)
Corsair 620hx PSU
Good case/cooling.
All temps within good specs.

What’s evga’s warranty policy on video cards? I bought this new from newegg like 2 yrs ago.

My testing plans for tonight:
Remove a ram stick and test against vista(x32), swap and try the other stick.
Remove the 280GTX, and try a friends 8800GTX
Remove the ram, and try a friends ram (compatible w/my system).

If I have the issue with the single sticks, it’s probably not the ram.
If I have the issue with the new vid card, it’s probably the mobo.
If I have the issue with the new ram, and new vid, its probably the mobo.

Am I missing anything? Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve

Could be the power supply too.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back