blue screen of death on new machine

kryptic

Gawd
:mad:

well. im not really sure why im getting it so i came to you guys.

fedex delivered my asus nforce2 mobo and barton 2500+ today. i slap em together and fiddle with the bios for some minor settings and fire her up. she posts, mem checks, but then when it should bring up the WindowsXP screen a blue screen appears that says somethin along the lines of...

a problem has been detected and windows shut down to preven damage.
check for viruses on computer and remove any newly installed harddrives. check the harddrive to make sure it is properly configured. then check for disk corruption etc etc. blah blah blah

it might be the harddrive that is the problem... but i get that message with 2 different harddrives. although the drives arent in the best of shape.

im going to try a different harddrive later

does anyone know what could be wrong?

nevermind problem solved.

but alas, another problem arose lol. i formatted and installed winXP pro. everything went great. i installed my firewall and antivirus software and shut down so i could plug in my other harddrive and better cd and dvd drives. so i plug everything in, and start up.

it gets the the XP loading screen and that damn blue bar just keeps scrolling across. it doesnt stop.

wait

nevermind it just loaded up but that took about 4 minutes... anyone have an idea why it took so long?

probably loading and detecting new hardware? check and see if it takes that long again.

If you can get it running, try installing Bootvis and see what is taking so long to load. Just a suggestion.

sounds like a good idea. ill search for this Bootvis you speak of!

edit: if i can ever get it to boot up fully. right now its stuck with the background on thescreen and the mouse. no taskbar or anything.

Also, make sure you aren't doing any serious overclocking. Could be an error related to system settings or whatnot.

Here is Bootvis. MS doesn't host the download anymore.

hmm. well, i downloaded bootvis and installed but when i try to open the program i get a message saying...

procedure entry point WmiOpenTraceWithCursor could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll.

so it wont start. :eek:

on a different note, my computer wont fully start while i have the ethernet cable plugged in. i guess it takes so long for everything to start up that the msblasterworm has time to work its magic. wonderful isnt it?

so how long is this memtest86 suppose to take... i downloaded it and made the floppy and now its just kinda sittin in there giving me the same numers over and over and over and over and over again.

I don't know let it run one test 100% and if there are no errors I think your fine but I don't know only used it once.

numbers where?

6321.png

if you're getting numbers in that bottom part of the screen those are memory errors

btw whole test takes ~5 hours.. not too sure havnt run though it in a while

hm.... i never got a screen that looked like that. although i didnt let the test run for 5 hours.

all i got was something like...

@X: 0512
aX: 3943
bX: 1000
cX: 3332

over and over and over again scrolling down the left side of the screen. the numbers never changed. those arent the actual numbers by the way.

alright, its running now and at 40% (been running for 3:30:00 ish). no errors so far. what exactaly is this test checking for? the ram is 2 brand new Geil dual channel 512 sticks of pc3200.

once i boot up everything is quick like it should be. is it possible that it could be a harddrive issue? because this harddrive was acting up a little before i switched it to this new computer.

Back