Blue, Red, Black or Brown Cherries?

Cherries

• Total voters
You might get more feedback in the keyboards forum. I just ordered browns myself. You can order sample keys from WASD to see what you like. It's all personal preference. I felt browns were a good balance between gaming and typing.

Entirely personal. Whether you want linear/tactile, clicky/non-clicky, and how stiff the action is.

You might get more feedback in the keyboards forum. I just ordered browns myself. You can order sample keys from WASD to see what you like. It's all personal preference. I felt browns were a good balance between gaming and typing.

This. I am using browns. I had a keyboard with blues but I found it to be very noisy and harder to quickly tap. Makes movement and whatnot less fluid.

clear, all the joys of browns but a bit more stiff (iirc 65n of force for clears over 40n of force for browns)

I have a keyboard with blues and I really like it. I like the noise, and it's a pleasure to type on. Admittedly, it's not as ideal for gaming. I'm contemplating getting something nicer with browns, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately there's nowhere around me where I can sample them, so it's kind of a stab in the dark.

I have blues, I will be getting browns next. Still tactile but not so noisy. My friends tell me to turn my keyboard off when talking with a mic and playing a game.

I have blues, I will be getting browns next. Still tactile but not so noisy. My friends tell me to turn my keyboard off when talking with a mic and playing a game.

I'm using blues, have you tried o-rings? I've been using them for a couple of weeks now was surprised how much it dampened the sound. I got some off of ebay for like $8.

I use reds, mainly because I didn't want to deal with blacks since they are generally pretty loud(The Steelseries 6G is only red as well I think, the 7G was black keys and I didn't want that design). Took a bit to get used to, but it's really easy for me to use now, it's only when I am really tired and not paying attention at all that my fingers start to press random keys. Probably not the most exciting typing experience though.

Get Reds if you want a keyboard specifically for gaming, Blues for typing, and Browns for a mix of both.

I'm using blues, have you tried o-rings? I've been using them for a couple of weeks now was surprised how much it dampened the sound. I got some off of ebay for like $8.

No I haven't. What size oring? I happen to work in a place where we use quite a few different size orings for our products.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I love Blues, even for gaming. There was a slight learning curve with gaming though because if you need to double tap a key, if you don't release it far enough it won't engage on the second push but that only took me about a week to get used to and now it's no issue at all.

personal preference mainly. i have blues now and enjoy them with everything, but i'd like to try reds for gaming.

Get Reds if you want a keyboard specifically for gaming, Blues for typing, and Browns for a mix of both.

I have to agree with this. My past keyboard was browns (Durandal) and it wasn't bad at all, gaming wise though I have to say reds (ducky Shine) seem a bit better. For me anyways.

I picked reds but if it was mainly for typing I would pick browns, the only tactile switches I've liked are the old buckling spring style ones but there's still a few oddball switches that I haven't tried yet.

It took me a while to get used to not pounding the keys when I transitioned over from a rubber dome KB to my K70 and I still occasionally get typos when I brush a key which is why I would prefer browns for typing but I love the reds for gaming.

I tell everyone that asks me what it's like to have a mechanical keyboard that it's like typing on a cloud. At least with the Reds. My hands/fingers used to get so tired before hand that the lack of resistance is just incredible. It wont be for everyone and can get annoying accidentally hitting the wrong key.

I'd say a little more resistance would be nice, which I think the Browns do offer.

I'm really liking the green switches. Perhaps a little heavy for extended typing, but much better than blacks or browns overall (the other switch types I've had).

I moved your thread to Mice & Keyboards since we have a forum for them. :)

Personally Blues are my favorite but the noise factor is just way too high. I'm using mostly browns now.

I used to like Browns but I realized they weren't fast enough for UT for dodging (doubletapping) and I would have to increase the double tap delay or I'd miss them. So guess I'd have to go with Red today. Ultimately though I feel mechanical got too much noise, especially playing games like say Skyrim in middle of the night with mods that turns night pitch black and walking into forests, the immersion is totally ruined by the "click click" so went back to rubberdome. :(

Personally Blues are my favorite but the noise factor is just way too high. I'm using mostly browns now.

I noticed that also with my friends keyboard that has Blues. The clicks were louder then his PC noise lol.

lol this is so personal, you cant "poll" to decide this. for the threads sake: i only like reds, because i like them, it is what it is.

lol this is so personal, you cant "poll" to decide this. for the threads sake: i only like reds, because i like them, it is what it is.

Similar with monitors, user preference on this can be subjective. Howbeit, I prefer mx black or brown switches.

Very subjective.

Tactile all the way for me. If noise doesn't bother you or other people around you, go blue. If it does, then try browns first and work your way from there to some of the other variants if you don't like those.

love my blues. currently own CM Trigger and Deck Hassium both are great but Deck is just so better built and ABS key caps just sux as the durability just doesnt last. PBT is the only way to go imo.

So with some birthday gift cards I just bought a Logitech G710+ today and have been playing around with the Cherry MX Browns that it has and I think I might have to join the majority in saying I think I might like them better than the Blues. Theyre definitely quieter but I seem to be able to type on them a little better and faster. Not really any noisier than the membrane domes Ive got on my little boy's computer. May change my mind in a couple days but for right now I think Im becoming more of a Brown fan.

Last edited:
I chose reds.

Typing with them was challenging at first, but I was very patient with it and they grew on me. I never liked the dual-action on the blues/browns, and would personally prefer reds for everything.

I like both red and browns for gaming, if its twitch gaming, reds, if its standard gaming, brown

blue I like to type with.

Ultimately though I feel mechanical got too much noise, especially playing games like say Skyrim in middle of the night with mods that turns night pitch black and walking into forests, the immersion is totally ruined by the "click click" so went back to rubberdome. :(

Especially for the instances that you described, wouldn't you think a decent pair of headphones could have sufficed?; Both eliminating the unwanted key sounds whilst adding immensely to the immersion of the experience, if indeed immersion is what you're after?

I have used Filco blue, Ducky red, Corsair K70 red and CM blue. For blue switch, the tactile feel is great but it's noisy and my figures get tired after long typing session. The red switch is light and easy to type, great for FPS gaming. The Ducky board has too much resistance on the large keys so you need to hit harder for space or enter keys >.<!@. Right now I'm using Filco majestouch 2 MX Red, which offers better build quality and more enjoyable typing experience. So I plan to keep this keyboard as long as possible as it's supposed to have more than 10 years lifespan.

Browns for me, reds in a pinch. Dislike blues.

Back