Blue-ray laser on new dvd players?

Meng-Chieh

Weaksauce
I've read in the news today that a new-generation dvd-encoding technique may be introduced sometime next year - the blue-ray laser. I'm no expert on this topic, but the essence of the article is that there will be better copy-protection on these new dvds. So, if I wish to go on backing-up dvds that I own, my current dvd writer will become obsolete pretty soon...should I wait for the next-generation writer to come out?

No, you shouldn't. Blu-Ray is many years away. Right now, Blu-Ray burners cost over $1000, with media running about $30 apiece. It will take years to garner industry acceptance and ramp up production quantities to price and availability levels that the average consumer can accept.

On the other hand, you should wait for DVD-9/"dual layer" drives and media. It is a standard ~600 nm red laser medium with 8.4 GB formatted capacity. It has broad compatibility with home and computer DVD hardware, and has been used inconspicuously for years in the form of DVD movies. "Dual layer" burners will start at $170, with media prices unknown as far as I know. Availability begins THIS MONTH.

Ok...how about the Plextor PX-708A or the Lite-On 812S? Are they dual-format burners? If not, mind recommending one that is at about the same price range as the Lite-on?

Neither drive is dual-layer-capable as of yet. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait during the next few months, as your options surface. Right now, I wouldn't suggest buying a DVD burner unless you truly don't need the extra capacity offered by dual layer solutions.

Meng-Chieh, you should really re-read the threads you've made earlier. The 812S looks like it can be modded into an 832S, which is Lite-On's dual-layer DVDRW drive.
I suggest you buy it.

Buy it on the unconfirmed premise that it will work as a dual-layer burner? How about waiting the extra couple weeks and knowing for sure?

Haha, thanks for all the adivce people - and yes, i should probably check out some of the posts that i've made earlier...thanks again guys!

Originally posted by xonik
Buy it on the unconfirmed premise that it will work as a dual-layer burner? How about waiting the extra couple weeks and knowing for sure?

I'd take the risk, as these are the guys responsible for the 401S-> 811S and 451S -> 851S hack.

Back