Blue Origin is on Track to Launch Their New Glenn Rocket in 2020

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
The Jeff Bezos space company Blue Origin is getting closer to launching their heavy lift vehicle. They're in the process of creating a specialized launch facility at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station for the rocket. All of this means that Space X is going to get some much needed competition and the end result is going to be much reduced launch fees. I can't wait to see how this all works out.

Check out the launch animation here.

Blue Origin is also making arrangements for the New Glenn rocket’s landing. They’re reportedly close to finalizing the purchase of a large ship that the rocket’s boosters will land upon once they have served their purpose during the launch of the vessel.

Competition is good :)

Are they trying to one-up SpaceX by landing on a barge that's under way? :p

Hope they can make this work. Wish NASA would quit trying to design "The next great booster" and start designing missions, then bidding out for launch vehicles. Bid proposal could state we need X weight placed on Y trajectory at Z time and specify man rated or not. Let SpaceX, Blue Origin, Boeing and anyone else that can prove they have a flight ready booster bid.

Now we just need John Carmack to get back into the race and see what can happen. SpaceX, Blue Origin and Armadillo Aerospace, versus Boeing Lockheed Martin, that would be a real competition to watch. Throw in Bigelow Aerospace with their inflatable station modules and it gets really interesting. I hope that finally the advance of space that came to a halt back in the late 70's early 80's will kick into high gear again. It was fun when I was a kid seeing all the rapid advances, but then it all seemed to slow to a crawl when I was in high school/college during the shuttle program with the only big news being Hubble and the ISS.

Now we just need John Carmack to get back into the race and see what can happen

sadly armadillo never really got past the hobbiest level of rockets, but alas they dont even exist anymore. the company that took over, exos, looks like its still playing with toy rockets compared to what you need to lift stuff off the ground.

so for now, its all spacex. Blue origin needs to get its rocket some actual space time before its to be considered a competitor, and hopefully soon it will.

Back