Blue Mirror Plexi or Tint?

Rombus

2[H]4U
Ok,im starting to design a my next case, and i want to do something similar to Micromans MicroBlack case (http://bit-tech.net/article/63/). However i want to use the same effect except with a blueish mirror. A couple of google searches havent turned up much, just a windowtint that cant be used on anything not glass. Any other ideas on where i can find something that will be a blue mirror without light behind it and clear with light behind it? I would much rather find plexi with this effect, but if i can only find tint it would be ok too. Thanks!
(tint refers to window tint film used on cars)

I haven't looked in to this but I wouldn't be surprised if allot of tint came with the "may not work on other surfaces" warning. It is just saying that they haven't tryed it on other things. I have seen plenty of highly modded SUV's with a combination of plexi windows and mirrored tint. You might just want to try it and see.

I'm thinking a stained glass spray (blue) on the front and a mirror window tint on the back. Won't be completly clear with the light on (blue tint), but about the best I can think of.

And, you're in luck. Krylon makes stained glass spray, and even in blue. (Krylon home page / Product Selector / Crafts & Decor / Krylon Stained Glass Color at the bottom. Sorry, link wouldn't post right.)

Now go pick up some limo tint at an auto store and hit it.

What about just getting some lite window tint (slightly smokely) and just backlight the case with some blue CCFL?

Here is some pics of the blue mirror acrylic we use. You can get it from any local acrylic dealer, thou it will cost you a pretty penny as you will prob need 1/4" and thats alot more then the 1/8" we use. We could get you the stuff but thats pricey or you can check the usefull links for some acrylic supplyers. Good luck :)

P1010154.jpg

x%20jewels%20mirror.jpg

We just got some of this new Radient See-thru mirror that has a nice effect of changing colors depending on the angle you look at it.

chameleonwindowmirrorseries3.jpg

chameleonwindowmirrorflash4.jpg

How much is that Radient See-thru mirror stuff? That stuff looks great! And what about the laser etching? Could I get something custom made?

Why don't you just layer the window tint?

Check your local Vato... err Autozone for blue window tint. I know I've seen the riceboys pimpin weird colored windows.

Blue tint over mirror tint = 2-way blue mirror.

That Radiant stuff looks freaky, if this picture is of the same stuff. It's supposed to be mirrorized with its own light and be iridescent. The picture explains it pretty well. Trying to find a price on it now, I have some ideas for it.........

Radiant Acrylic

Plexi cases are just screaming ... ' mod me '. Tinting looks so damn nice on them.

A lot of good ideas in this thread!
Eternalspider: the first stuff i looked at actually said in the FAQ that it would cause the plexi/acrylic to turn cloudy white due to the adhesive.

ProphetSix, CrimandEvil, Magic H8 Ball: Great suggestions I never thought about! Time to do some more research

Dapperdan: Is the blue mirror acrylic see though from the other side? (so if it was backlight it would turn transparentish)
Also, wow on the Radient stuff, is that a surface treatment or actually part of the acrylic itself? im considering rounding all the edges with sandpaper that’s why im curious (BTW, nice camera! I have the same one)
Alot of good ideas in this thread! Thanks for everyone’s suggestions so far!

No the blue mirror is not see-thru :(

the radient stuff is a surface treatment so the sandpaper can mess it up, thats the downside :(.

Gibo it is the same stuff.

Hiya fellers, I hav ea related question. I have a Black Lian Li 70 case with window that I am interested in modding. I'd liek to use a UV spraypaint to spray a Biohazard pattern onto the window (which I believe is PlexiGlass). I have 4 UV cold cathodes set up inside and was curious as to whether the UV spraypaint would stick. Also, would it be visible enough under the black lighting? Thanks.

Nuke: Look at the macro black project at the beginning of this thread. There's stuff in there about painting plexi.

Originally posted by NukeleaR
Hiya fellers, I hav ea related question. I have a Black Lian Li 70 case with window that I am interested in modding. I'd liek to use a UV spraypaint to spray a Biohazard pattern onto the window (which I believe is PlexiGlass). I have 4 UV cold cathodes set up inside and was curious as to whether the UV spraypaint would stick. Also, would it be visible enough under the black lighting? Thanks.

Check the first link about painting an acrylic case and this should help with using UV spray paint:
http://www.bit-tech.net/article/62/
http://www.modthebox.com/review268_1.shtml
Or if your good at drawning:
http://www.metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/uv_drawing/index_eng

Originally posted by Dapperdan
No the blue mirror is not see-thru :(

the radient stuff is a surface treatment so the sandpaper can mess it up, thats the downside :(.

Gibo it is the same stuff.
Dude where do would a guy get his hands on some of that stuff!?

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
Dude where do would a guy get his hands on some of that stuff!?
I also have some of that radiant material...it's pretty sweet. I got mine from Cutting Edge. It is a bit expensive though - I paid $37 for 2x 14"x14" and 1x 14"x8" and had the guys at Cutting Edge make me the first PSU cover out of it.

looks sweet! as you can tell from the other pictures, it's reflective until you light it from behind then it looks like tinted plexi, the color changes depending on what angle you look at it from. i'm sitting here with a peice in my hand and as I rotate it, the "tint" is changing from violet to purple to blue to green to yellow to orange to red. the only problem I see with it is that the film that is applied to both sides of the plexi is starting to peel just a little bit on the edges.

the psu cover I had made out of it is cool, haven't had a chance to put it on yet though.

I found this place on the web...they have colored acrylic sheets 12x24 and have some "new stuff" they say is mirrored in different colors for like only $12.95 per sheet.....

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
If only they had blue fluorescent sheets, I could start building a reservoir then.
try emailing chris over at cutting edge, I know they have UV reactive blue sheets and he'll give you a good deal

I wonder if they could custom make one for me?

EDIT
Oh cool I just an email from chris and they can do it for $70. nice

Height= 8"
Lenght= 10"
Thinkness =1.5"

Think of the dimensions of a sheet of paper.

Back