Blu Ray's Managed Copy Explained

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
Engadget HD - Blu-Ray's Managed Copy Explained!

We believe the coolest possibility that Managed Copy could enable is a Blu-ray Jukebox, so you can imagine how pleased we were to hear Michael Ayers, the chair of the AACS Business Group, mention it specifically when we asked him how he envisioned Managed Copy would be used. He tells us that not only is it possible, but the technology was designed with that use in mind.

While it all sounds awesome it doesn't exactly sit right with me that I'll have to pay extra for a movie I already spend nearly $30 for (that is if it's not bought from one of Amazon's awesome Blu ray sales. :) ) in the first place just to store it on my media server/HTPC. It sounds great but I don't trust Hollywood to actually do anything decent with Managed Copies other then to try and make me pay out the noise for something I already bought.

I already manage all my copies. They're managed right to my hard drive.

Yeah, I've noticed the DVDs that have a digital copy of the movie bundled in the disk for portable players generally cost more than the plain jane versions of the same movie as well... That's just not gonna work when consumers know they can rip it for free. I mean, the DRM alone is enough of a deal killer for many of us, we wouldn't use the digital copies bundled in even if they were free. Too many restrictions to how we stream it around the house or what players we move it to, etc. That and one bundled digital copy is definitely not the right fit for every possible device out there (from HTPCs to laptops to tiny ass players w/3" screens).

theyre just trying to keep dvd as a competitor- its so stupid. take out the garbage, leave nothing but the movie and a couple trailers, charge $9.99 per movie and your set. if you still feel the need to ejaculate more spooge onto the disc then make a 'special edition' bluray and charge $15.99. watch profits soar and be amazed how fast dvd goes away. there, i was just smarter then the whole movie corporation.

They could even bundle a low bit-rate encode of the movie with the $10 version for portable players and a hihger-bitrate version with the $15-20 version, figure the type of person that doesn't care about the extras is also likely to be watching the movie on the go... And the type of person that does care for the fluff is more likely to own an HTPC, etc. Hell if they adopt those prices they can keep the DRM on the digital copies for all I care, 'least it'd be justified... Though there'd probably be less piracy either way.

They could even bundle a low bit-rate encode of the movie with the $10 version for portable players and a hihger-bitrate version with the $15-20 version, figure the type of person that doesn't care about the extras is also likely to be watching the movie on the go... And the type of person that does care for the fluff is more likely to own an HTPC, etc. Hell if they adopt those prices they can keep the DRM on the digital copies for all I care, 'least it'd be justified... Though there'd probably be less piracy either way.

lol sounds backwards to me, people with HTPCs are the ones remuxing their rips to get rid of all that crap :p

As for the article, seems to conflict with our information which suggested that all Blu-ray discs would HAVE to come with "Copy Once" enabled.... so you'd always get at least one "free" copy.

Of course my question then is: what happens when your hard drive dies/someone clicks delete/etc?

IMO this does have the potential to actually make things better for the consumer, it just will need work and time.

Back