Blu-Ray Playback w/8300 IGP = No-go

That easy? So it automatically knows to route through the video card's HMDI port?

Yes, Any 2000HD series and up (3000, 4000, 5000, 6000) has it's own separate audio chip on it. If you are running your audio through that chip, then you will have audio going through the HDMI cable. If I remember correctly, all of the 5000 series and up also decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD through that same way as well.

Just keep in mind that it is using the Audio chip ON the video card itself and NOT routing the soundcard's audio through the ATI card and then through the HDMI.

Yes, Any 2000HD series and up (3000, 4000, 5000, 6000) has it's own separate audio chip on it. If you are running your audio through that chip, then you will have audio going through the HDMI cable. If I remember correctly, all of the 5000 series and up also decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD through that same way as well.

Just keep in mind that it is using the Audio chip ON the video card itself and NOT routing the soundcard's audio through the ATI card and then through the HDMI.
I understand it works with the video cards with onboard sound. My comment was directed at your comment about the AuzenTech. I thought you were saying you could also route that audio through the video card's HDMI cable... but you were just saying you could switch back and forth.

I already have a shortcut on my desktop to the sound applet in the control panel. I use it to switch to analog, which goes to speakers upstairs. I can remote into my HTPC and play internet radio, playlists, etc... and hear it upstairs. I just have to remember to switch it back when I watch a movie. :p

I checked Google Shoping for that drive. It's still sold (for $170... ouch!), but it plays BD and HD. Have you gotten HD to work??

I got my LG from Newegg a few years ago when it was on sale for $94 shipped. I got it since I had some HD-DVD's and standalone BD players were still close to $200 and I could eliminate the extra 360 HD-DVD drive from my setup,
htpc-360-2.jpg

HD-DVD worked great with the PowerDVD 7 that came with the drive and there were hacks to get PowerDVD 8 to work with HD-DVD but I haven't tried it and am currently using PowerDVD 9 Ultra.
I have the HD-DVD drive for my Xbox 360 and use that to play my HD-DVD's.

Even though I have a BD Drive in both my computers, I'll still use the Standalone Panasonic BD player since I am not too fond of PowerDVD anymore.
Also it seems that new BD movies can't use the mouse for the menus, have to use a keyboard or remote.

Last edited:
Makes sense. I saw the mouse thing when I tried to play an HD-DVD with TMT. It came up, said the title of the movie, told me that it would open a little menu thing since mice didn't work, then promptly froze. :)

I'll be installing the motherboard this weekend... maybe even tomorrow night. Before I do that, I'm going to do a quick install of XP on a separate drive and flash to the latest firmware.

I got my LG from Newegg a few years ago when it was on sale for $94 shipped. I got it since I had some HD-DVD's and standalone BD players were still close to $200 and I could eliminate the extra 360 HD-DVD drive from my setup,

HD-DVD worked great with the PowerDVD 7 that came with the drive and there were hacks to get PowerDVD 8 to work with HD-DVD but I haven't tried it and am currently using PowerDVD 9 Ultra.
I have the HD-DVD drive for my Xbox 360 and use that to play my HD-DVD's.

Even though I have a BD Drive in both my computers, I'll still use the Standalone Panasonic BD player since I am not too fond of PowerDVD anymore.
Also it seems that new BD movies can't use the mouse for the menus, have to use a keyboard or remote.

You guys might be interested in the TMT5; I'm really liking how things are maturing. :)
http://www.missingremote.com/review/arcsoft-total-media-theatre-5

I just downloaded the trial and it looks good and all, but it has crashed on me twice and stopped the movie when I moved the player to my left screen. Had to restart the movie from the very beginning, just like playing the movie the first time, 3-5 minutes of friggin warnings and studio openings, etc....wouldn't resume playback from the last scene.

But it does play HD-DVD's which is cool.

Except for old drives that are obsolete and no longer supported. :rolleyes:
Just another good reason not to buy another LG. Who says a newer drive will be supported when the next version of Windows comes out? Burn me once, shame on your... burn me twice, shame on me.

Is it even possible to make a blu ray reader obsolete? I mean, it reads data off of a disc, it's not like it's using SCSI or something :p
Yeah, it's a pretty shitty excuse. I'm not impressed at all. Like I said, I have a lot of LG appliances/electronics in my home. They've just lost a lot of future revenue... Seriously, I have computer driver, DVD player, washer, dryer, fridge, and I was considering LG for my next TV purchase. It won't change their ways, but it'll at least make me feel better.

Is it even possible to make a blu ray reader obsolete? I mean, it reads data off of a disc, it's not like it's using SCSI or something :p

Well, it's mostly cause it was a dual HD DVD and Blu ray drive; once HD DVD went belly up then there just isn't any reason to further support such a drive.

Well, it's mostly cause it was a dual HD DVD and Blu ray drive; once HD DVD went belly up then there just isn't any reason to further support such a drive.

There is still the BluRay component, though... ?

It's like saying companies should render support of all MB with PS/2 era ports obsolete, even if they include SATA (which even many "enthusiast" boards include PS/2).

But I do get your point, despite how much I hate it :(

Yeah, I figure that since HD DVD was dead they just decided to call it quits on that drive. If you remember it was mighty hard to find one of those drives after Toshiba announced that they were cutting their loses.

Here's to bringing up an old thread...

After 5 freaking months (much of that time spent procrastinating), I've finally figured it out. In short, the 8300 IGP is a piece of freaking shit. After all those hours spent, I finally bought a new motherboard (A Biostar A880G+ w/Radeon 4250). PowerDVD plays blurays now just fine.

Freaking shame that I had to basically rebuild a PC, but it inspired me to make use of a Antec P180 I had laying around (didn't know was miniATX only when I bought it). The good thing is the new PC is so much nicer.

Thanks for all the help.

Back