Blu-ray in Win7 Media Center?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
I haven't looked at this for years, but I finally got a Blu-ray drive drive and AnyDVDHD. I try to play a movie in Media Center and of course get slapped with:

"To play this DVD, you must first install a playback application that supports Blu-ray Disc."

And Google reveals you have to buy Blu-ray software and use that for playback. Naturally. Same shit they pulled 10 years ago with DVDs, gotta watch their 3rd party software guy's backs. :rolleyes:

So is there a way to hack this in or get it supported? I just want to pop in a disc and have Media Center take off natively, same as it does with a DVD. No automatic hooks to external software.

The best solution I think is TotalMedia Theater. It integrates really well into WMC and it's the solution I went for on my setup.

I second TMT. Works great.
As far as Microsoft putting Blu-Ray support in W7:
Microsoft = XBOX
Sony - PS3/Blu-Ray.
No way in hell is Microsoft going to support, in effect, the PS3.

Microsoft = XBOX
Sony - PS3/Blu-Ray.

I wish Xbox Live's movie marketplace was available on Windows.

Microsoft = XBOX
Sony - PS3/Blu-Ray.

Having BluRay playback in Windows doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the PS3...

Sure it does. MS is not going to do anything to support Sony, who makes the PS3. They would have to pay rights fees to incorporate it into W7.

Remember HD-DVD? MS pushed, supported and developed the spec. After losing to blue ray do you really think MS is going to add direct support for native BR playback in WMC?

MS has said in the past, after HD-DVD failed, that they will only support BR playback in WMC by adding "hooks" in it so that third parties can develop apps for playback. That's why and how TMT and PowerDVD both can integrate their players into WMC.

MS will not support BR any time soon.

Remember HD-DVD? MS pushed, supported and developed the spec. After losing to blue ray do you really think MS is going to add direct support for native BR playback in WMC?

MS has said in the past, after HD-DVD failed, that they will only support BR playback in WMC by adding "hooks" in it so that third parties can develop apps for playback. That's why and how TMT and PowerDVD both can integrate their players into WMC.

MS will not support BR any time soon.

It has nothing to do with them losing the format war and everything to do with cost. It's cheaper for them to not include support for playback. Microsoft did the same thing with DVD.

It has nothing to do with them losing the format war and everything to do with cost. It's cheaper for them to not include support for playback. Microsoft did the same thing with DVD.

Totally not the same thing. :rolleyes:

XP MCE came with no codecs at all due to licensing issues. Vista MC added an MS built MPEG2 codec. Win7 MC builds on that with Media Foundations.

MS has said many things about how they won't support BR directly and that they would rather let third parties add it instead. This is all standard well known info.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multim...Not_Support_Native_Blu_Ray_Disc_Playback.html

This is a complete turn around from what thet've said in the past on supporting HD-DVD and blu ray playback in WMC.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2006/03/16/hd_dvd_vista_support/1

So yeah, they hardy "did the same thing with DVD."

Last edited:
Back