Blu-ray Camp Claims HD DVD Group Misrepresented Data

HardOCP News

[H] News
The weekly back-and-forth saga between Blu-ray and HD DVD continues! Let’s get you up to speed: Earlier this month, Blu-ray claimed victory citing a K-Mart deal. Last week the HD DVD camp claimed victory with sub-$100 players. Soon after, Sony’s CEO called the battle a stalemate. This week, the Blu-ray camp lashed out at the HD DVD Group claiming a "gross misrepresentation of data." Tune in next week when one of the two camps declares absolute victory…again. :rolleyes:

Simonis goes on to claim that the HD DVD Group "manipulated" the data, adding that, "you can see this because they did not even supply access to the original source of their numbers." As if that wasn't enough, he then further slams the HD DVD folks by saying, "Honest to God, the Blu-ray Disc Association would never do this. We've seen so much rubbish come from the HD DVD Group it's unbelievable."

This would actually be quite hilarious if there weren't millions of us waiting on the outcome. :rolleyes:

So who was it that hired all of these dumbasses as execs. in companies? Im not as dumb as them, and I'll do the same job for half the salary!

"Honest to God, the Blu-ray Disc Association would never do this. We've seen so much rubbish come from the HD DVD Group it's unbelievable."

Lol, yeah, Sony and crew would never spew rubbish. :p

Thanks, Steve! That really made me laugh.

This whole format war is getting down right comical! IMO there is really no close end in sight if this kind of playground antics keeps up.

I'm still using regular dvds :D

I'm with you. What possible reason could I want for more storage space than what I can currently get with a dual layer DVD? I'm waiting till they hash this out before buying either. If they had real smarts they would just get together and form a merging of standards. ;)

Universal translator for their comments:

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!"

Please call me when the format war is over. I might still care by then.

The weekly back-and-forth saga between Blu-ray and HD DVD continues! Let’s get you up to speed: Earlier this month, Blu-ray claimed victory citing a K-Mart deal. Last week the HD DVD camp claimed victory with sub-$100 players. Soon after, Sony’s CEO called the battle a stalemate. This week, the Blu-ray camp lashed out at the HD DVD Group claiming a "gross misrepresentation of data." Tune in next week when one of the two camps declares absolute victory…again. :rolleyes:

Steve, I thought it was HD DVD that was gushing over the exclusive Kmart deal, and then kmart issued a statement after saying it has not dropped support of Blu-Ray?

But yeah the HD DVD camp is excluding PS3 players when commenting on sales of BD devices, but then includes them when discussing attach rates. BD camp understands attach rates suck, but the sheer number of BD players when the PS3 is included, overcomes such a shitty attach rate.

Both are going to fail miserably simply because this format war has gone on for too long

The Movie industry are in the movie business to make money, now they will invest in backing something as long as they will see profits out of it.
If hardly anyone owns a HD player or screen then hardly anyone is going to buy the discs and as such the movie industry is going to see losses when compared to DVD's

If this war isn't significanly decided by the time Chrismas is over (and the new year sales) then neither is going to succeed

A video store would rather fill the shelves with DVD's that it knows it will sell as opose to taking up space for something that wont.

Oh and regarding Sony's CEO comments regarding the battle being a stalemate, from Steve's link, here is an excerpt of the interview (you decide whether it was taken out of context)

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa146.html#stringer

Here is an excerpt, of the .. excerpt :confused::p

Adler: Of course, one of the big fights right now is Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD for the high definition video market. I mean, the first and most obvious question is: Shouldn't there just be one format? Why should people have to choose between the two? And is there any possibility that we'll be heading there?

Stringer: I should point out that that is not part of the software battle. I mean, that's actually in some ways sort of anachronistic. We're fighting over a packaged goods hardware that will not go on forever, from a classic sense. We have a more expensive version, as Sony tends to, and Toshiba has a cheaper version, which seems to keep getting cheaper. I believe it has slowed down the progress of high definition packaged goods. Oddly, the studios kind of liked it for a while. They were able to leverage one of us against each other. But in the end, it's counterproductive. We have a sort of stalemate at the moment. As you know, they had fewer studios, but then they paid a lot of money for Paramount. So we have four studios and they have two or three studios. It's a difficult... it's a difficult fight. There was a chance to integrate it before I became CEO. This is something I inherited. And I don't know what broke down. I wish I could go back there, because I heard it was all about saving face and losing face, and all the rest of it. But it's not a battle about the digital future. That's what's so strange about it. If it doesn't work out, that doesn't say very much about where we're all going. It's just... it's a scorecard: one-nothing or something. But it doesn't mean as much as all that. PlayStation 3 will still go on playing games. It would have to have a different disk drive. And that's about it really.

"Honest to God, the Blu-ray Disc Association would never do this. We've seen so much rubbish come from the HD DVD Group it's unbelievable."

Lol, yeah, Sony and crew would never spew rubbish. :p

Thanks, Steve! That really made me laugh.

Yeh, this is typical Sony :rolleyes:

<caresses HD-DVD player>

I would LOVE to see someone like Walmart bring out their own format, shove it down everyone's throat and put Sony and Toshiba out of business in America for creating this whole situation.

For Sony, AGAIN. I mean....they're crazy. How many times do we have to do this Sony? Beta/VHS. Minidisc/MP3 (you deserved to lose that one for purposefully crippling the format). +/- DVD burning. now High definition video. Bah.

I keep on waiting for one of the HD-DVD guys to slip up and call Blu-Ray Betamax in a press conference. Imagine what kind of fit Sony would throw about that. :D

I don't really care about the movie aspect of the whole thing. I'm waiting for a $100 drive that I can use to backup data on a 25-30GB disc that costs $1.

+/- DVD burning.

IIRC, Sony was in the -R camp, which was out before the +Rs I thought...either way though, I think Sony put out one of the first combo drives for that gen, the DRU510A, which made everyone happy. More older devices love -Rs more anyways.

How clueless are both of these camps? Their combined market share is tiny, but they portray the struggle like it's a choice between fascism and democracy while it looks more like a some high school popularity contest in a sub clique. Now they're just getting into name calling on the playground than anything else.

Just incase anyone needs help deciphering the rhetoric, here is what it says:

- Blu-ray has millions more BR capable devices out there thanks to the PS3
- Blu-ray only outsells HD DVD in the US by a slim 3:2 margin with HD DVD closing the gap
- Taking into account all players on both sides of the aisle, HD DVD sells more movies per owner by over 6 fold compared to Blu-ray

First the BDA wants the PS3 to be included and called a BR Player, and now it doesn't because it makes them look bad? Maybe they are finally realizing that compared to the raw numbers of BR "players" they put out there, hardly anyone is buying disks besides a real enthusiasts who can afford it at the moment.

Either way you spin it, BR numbers aren't looking good. This is because if you include the PS3 sales, it looks like they have barely sold any movies to anyone when they should be selling millions. HD DVD has sold far more movies per capita, over 6 fold of its Blu-ray counterpart. So at this point, I wonder what route they want to advertise under. Either way they go it looks pretty pathetic for how bad they are supposed to be beating HD DVD. In terms of either camp, I wonder what tricks they have up their sleeves.

They should ignore so-called attach rates. That doesn't matter. It doesn't matter how many movies per device are sold. All it matters is how many movies are sold, period. Movie studios don't care how many devices are out there, they only care how many discs they can move.

I really wish the two sides would f'ing get over it and combine to a single format, or release everything in both formats. The last thing I want is to have to buy a standalone HD-DVD player just because some movie or TV show I want is in that format (Can you say Heroes?) when I have a perfectly good PS3 that can play Blu-Ray movies.

As far as I can tell, all the "features" each one tries to put over on the other one are all BS crap that have nothing to do with actually watching a movie. I want HD picture and sound on a single disc for most if not all movies. Anything else is mere marketing bullet points.

Right now, blu-ray appeals to me because of the larger storage capacity and the fact it works in my PS3... but my devotion is only skin deep. I don't think one format is all that significantly better than the other.

-Nate

They should ignore so-called attach rates. That doesn't matter. It doesn't matter how many movies per device are sold. All it matters is how many movies are sold, period. Movie studios don't care how many devices are out there, they only care how many discs they can move.
That is really only true in a perfect market. As you can see, the market isn't perfect. If it was, because of the millions of PS3's that they shipped, the owners would be buying tons of movie disks.. which we can see isn't the case. With the "attachment rate" higher in favor of HD DVD, the more player units they sell, the more movie disks they can expect to sell because of the proven statistics of what is true in the present and past. The Blu-ray guys tried to stick Blu-ray capable devices in their game system hoping it would help sell tons of movies to push BR over the top. As we can see, it was not the case. People looking to play movies in their home go out and buy standalone players, not gaming consoles. The majority of gamers play games on their PS3, not buy tons of movies. It is obvious because of the sales numbers vs. how many units are out on the market. Surely some of the gamers are buying BR movies to play in their PS3, but the attachment rate is very low which in turn contributes to low sales numbers and per capita ownership.

The Blu-ray guys tried to stick Blu-ray capable devices in their game system hoping it would help sell tons of movies to push BR over the top. As we can see, it was not the case.
What numbers are you looking at? BR movies are outselling HD DVD movies in every region I believe, with the US being the closest race.

Dismal PS3 sales have pushed BR over the top for now. Increased PS3 sales (leave the Wii and 360 discussion out for now, the PS3 is improving sales) will only further widen the gap.

Who cares if there are 3 billion BD devices out there with a .00000001 attach rate, studios look at movies sold.

What numbers are you looking at? BR movies are outselling HD DVD movies in every region I believe, with the US being the closest race.

Dismal PS3 sales have pushed BR over the top for now. Increased PS3 sales (leave the Wii and 360 discussion out for now, the PS3 is improving sales) will only further widen the gap.

Who cares if there are 3 billion BD devices out there with a .00000001 attach rate, studios look at movies sold.
I never said the numbers were losing to HD DVD. We all know Blu-ray has higher overall sales numbers at the moment. But re-read my post a little deeper and you might understand what I was saying. :)

I DO care about which format wins...Because I want ONE of them to win. It's going to be damn ridiculous if your friend brings over the newest Bond movie, only to find out that he has BR and you have HDDVD. Ridiculous. Atleast +/- were somewhat compatible with most newer drives playing both. Pretty much the reason I haven't upgraded yet is because I don't think either deserves my money until I know it will be a UNIVERSAL format. Superior or not.

Back