Blu-Ray 480i?

JCJones86

Gawd
Over the weekend, I was perusing the local Best Buy's DVD section and came across the Blade Runner five disc collection on Blu-Ray disc. I have a PlayStation 3 at home, but my television is a standard definition CRT with component inputs. The salespersons at Best Buy have told me that I would need to use an HDMI connection to watch a Blu-Ray movie. However, being the suspicious person I am, I'm inclined to think that might be a sales tactic to get me to buy an expensive HDTV on the spot.

So, my question is simply: Will Blu-Ray movies play on a 480i television? I realize there are protections, such as HDCP, involved with the technologies, but from what I've read it is only required for 1080p resolution.

If you must know my reasoning for watching HD content on an SD set, it is simply because I'd like to future-proof any purchases of movies that I know I'd like to watch in HD when I can afford to purchase a nice HDTV set, which I expect would be within the next year.

Yeah, it will play in 480i. A friend of mine bought a ps3 to hook up to his new 60" plasma. He used the composite wires to connect it and then played spider-man 3. So it works and will just look like a dvd.

Last i checked, if the discmakers choose to implement the flag, 1080p movies will be downscaled to 540p and still outputted over non-HDCP outputs or analog... so either way, it should play fine. I'm not sure if studio's are implementing this flag yet either, as alot of people have non HDCP televisions, and they've already broken the encryption anyway.

yes it will play, no it wont be at full res and yes it should still look marginally better than a stadanrd def DVD based on the principle of better source and a good processor (ps3). the difference will be arguable, but it will play.

Thanks for the info guys! I'm glad I won't have to wait to get an HDTV to be able to play them at all. I guess the BB employees were taught to throw the misinformation as a sales pitch.

I don't think it's misinformation so much as, why in the hell are you watching HD movies without an HDTV?

But they still have their managers to please, numbers wise yes. Former BB employee to know. Always was fun getting written up for not mentioning a service plan even in the direct and explicitly stated threat of a customer's business being taken elsewhere completely if I even so much as said PSP without refering to the Playstation Portable. But that's what you get for working retail - the shaft, and nothing but the shaft.

yes it will play, no it wont be at full res and yes it should still look marginally better than a stadanrd def DVD based on the principle of better source and a good processor (ps3). the difference will be arguable, but it will play.
Which is to say, it'll just be a really expensive DVD.

Oh, the BB sales guy is still, technically, correct. While it will play it won't play in all of it's HD quality glory. It's actually kind of a waste on your SDTV.

Although it's expensive to get an HDTV, BD will not be worth it without it... Your games and movies would look MUCH, MUCH better.

Last I knew, the ICT was not implemented yet.

Yepyep, parents just got a hdtv and I've been using my small 22" for 720P and a 28 or so in with 480i, and the improvements at 1080p are amazing xD

Back