Blower style and dual fan style 6950 in same system

jhokie

Limp Gawd
I didn't really think too much about this when I ordered my second 6950... is this going to be a problem? My current card is a reference Saphire 6950 2GB and I'll be adding an XFX 6950 2GB dual fan design.

Should I stick the saphire card on the bottom to prevent the heat from getting dumped to the next card? Which card is utilized if crossfire is turned off?

Top card is priority 1 if not in XFire, the other card will run idle.. I had the same setup for a while and I put my reference card on bottom as the fan int he bottom center of my case faced directly at the blower fan whole my side case fans blew on the top card.. The reference card still got pretty hot but it can take a beating..

Alternate issue is that the reference cards HSF directs hot air out the back while most of the dual fan designs dump the hot air back into the case.. May want to arrange a push/pull of air from the side door in and out the top to help get hot air out faster.

What do you mean by 'blower' type fan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_fan typical of reference cards

275px-Centrifugal_fan.gif

To the OP, just make sure the axial fan card (the dual fan card) has enough air clearance. A blower fan can be right up against another card and not suffer tremendously. An axial fan card needs space in front of the fan for the air vortex to develop or it will be choked and overheat.

Thanks, that's what I thought but I always call these 'turbine' fans. Aren't these supposed to be better than axial fans?

You can also call them squirrel cage fans. They are better at pushing air and providing much more static pressure than axial fans yes. But they are noisier. Axial fans are better at higher volume at lower noise levels (because they usually have large diameter blades) but less static pressure. Consequently, if they don't have enough room above or below, they just spin around and don't do anything and aren't actually pushing any air. Basically axial fans are better at quietly circulating air but they will choke without enough clearance above and below for air to move in. Centrifugal fans are better at shoving air through fins and for pulling air through tight spaces like tightly spaced cards with little clearance. The draw back is high noise.

Back