Bloomberg Claims iDevices With Laser 3D Cameras are Coming

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Citing "people familiar with the plans," a recent report by Bloomberg claims that Apple plans to launch iPhones and iPads with a longer range, rear-facing 3D camera "as soon as next year." This new camera would supposedly use a laser scanner to create a 3D representation of the environment instead of the dot-projection technology used in Apple's front facing 3D cameras. Additionally, the insiders claim that the new devices will include a enhanced 3rd camera, and that this year's iPhones will sport 3 cameras as well, seemingly corroborating the Wall Street Journal's report from earlier this month. It also mentions that Apple is "testing" USB-C as a replacing to their proprietary lightning ports, while iOS 13 is said to include a dark mode and integration of an "original video content" service.

The 2020 iPhone camera may be a prelude to an AR headset that Apple has been preparing for as early as 2020... Apple previously aimed to put the new 3-D camera system on the back of this year’s high-end iPhones, but delayed that, the people familiar also said... For 2019, Apple plans successors to the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max -- code-named D42 and D43 -- and an update to the iPhone XR, said the people. The larger of the new high-end iPhones will have three cameras on the back, and other handsets could eventually come with the upgraded system, too, the people said.

So they may actually use a standard charging port and drop the proprietary hostage model? What about all those current devices ?

Hello my old friend, I can't find my 30 pin.

Unless you are super mobile game app boy, there is no compelling reason to update this sorry form factor for a few megahertz and a few more gigs of space and an extra camera. Ships sailed and priced itself out of intelligent upgrade. The operating systems (android too) are irrelevant. Much like Microsoft, swapping things around after people get used to doing things a certain way in my opinion is the equivalent of polishing the silverware on the titanic. I'll hold onto my 6s Plus till it drops dead, then I may just go back to a laptop and a non smart phone. Tired of trying to read things on a tiny screen.

So they may actually use a standard charging port and drop the proprietary hostage model? What about all those current devices ?

Hello my old friend, I can't find my 30 pin.[/QUOTE

Hello my old friend, I can't find my 30 pin.

Don't worry, it will be a new enhanced and proprietary USB 3 connector.

Think we've reached the apex folks. Nothing but camera devices for as far as the eye can see......

Back