This is absolutely unacceptable - I've written about it on the topic in the Gaming section. Those that may not know about this title, this is developed by the original dev behind many Castlevania games, notably the " Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" title that has become a classic. Much like Hideo Kojima, Koji Igarashi (known as IGA online casually ) likely knows Konami wasn't interested in making this kind of game anymore, so went to crowdfund the creation of a modern spiritual successor in the form of Bloodstained, via Kickstarter around 4 years ago. From the very beginning, the title offered Mac and most notably of all Linux platforms as part of the core features and subsequently rose to become a massive crowdfunding success! Blowing past the $500,000 requirement, they knocked down tons of stretch goals and eventually raised approx $5.500,000, which makes it one of the most successful crowdfunding campaigns for a non-MMO game to date. While the game has taken quite some time to develop, there was evidence of progress, including the full release of the stretch goal "mini game prequel" which turned into "Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon" , an 8-bit, classic Castlevania style title with a lot of depth. It was free to all backers and can be bought for $10 on Steam for others. It launched solely on Windows, but there was an announcement that Mac / Linux support would be on the way; clearly the current announcement makes me doubt this as well. Curse of the Moon, along with several backer Alphas, showed progress and refinement so I was willing to give them the time to get the game done right. Needless to say today's bombshell was a surprise.

It is completely unacceptable to remove Linux and Mac support, core features included since the start of the campaign, at all much less this far into the project. The way it was done made things even worse, with an unceremonious post muttering something about middleware and online play, before saying they're sorry and they had to remove Mac and Linux support; pick another platform, No Refunds! The latter bit about no refunds offered is icing on the cake, adding insult to injury. I've backed quite a few software and hardware campaigns alike (most successful, a few less so) and I've seen full refunds offered for delays and much more minor things than canceling a whole OS! Would anyone feel comfortable about picking another platform if they removed ALL PC support entirely? Of course not, some may not even have Playstations or Switches etc...as they thought they were backing a PC title! Removal of Linux and Mac mean at minimum that users of these OSes would theoretically have to pay for a Windows license in order to run the game on a supported OS. I';ve seen a call for Kickstarter backers to report the campaign as in breach of policy, not to mention local legal implications (ie notably jurisdictions such as Europe that offer stronger protections guaranteeing refunds in more conditions) so I would not at all be surprised if that bit changes if nothing else. However, that is far from the crux of the issue.

Keep in mind that Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is developed not by some small indie studio but by a multi faceted project from multiple dev houses including IntiCreates, WayForward, and published by 505 Games. Normally crowdfunded projects offer greater transparency in their development and, though they haven't been as radical as some projects showing all the inner workings of the studio good and bad alike nearly day to day, they've been offering updates every so often and other info. Thus, it makes it even worse that today's announcement about the removal of two PC OSes that were core features, gave so little information. They mentioned something about "middleware and online play" being the motivating factor - surely they considered this possibility during the previous 4 years of development, given these two OSes were part of the core feature set, right? Even if they did run into issues later, there was nothing informing the community, asking for solutions, polling for different ideas etc. The vast majority of the game's underlying engines and systems are Linux compatible, so it seems like there could be alternative paths and the community could be involved in some way. Furthermore, it is somewhat significant in the lack of information that they didn't simply delay Mac and Linux releases. In that case, I wouldn't be happy but I could be more understanding were they forthright about it and kept Linux/Mac on the docket. However they went right for completely removing support for these OSes! While I can't say for certain, this begins to feel like an excuse made at the behest of a publisher or developer rushing to finish the damn thing, cutting corners for the quickest implementation, thereby pruning away platforms that either don't work with whatever middleware they decided to staple in or were deemed by bean counters to be considered not profitable enough to spend the time. Depressingly, this is not the first time something like this has happened, causing even more cynicism among Linux users, but many things make this situation worse.

Crowdfunding is and should be different from traditional game development; different strengths and weaknesses, benefits and detriments. However, what we see happening here with Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night should NOT be accepted as "just another crowdfunding failure" or "can't trust anyone about Linux until its actually done". That kind of cynicism depresses the amount of really great, capable titles that can be developed via these methods and developers who are willing to support Mac and Linux may not get as much support for their titles because of cynical and wary users. This is simply one company, one campaign behaving badly - it should not accepted, it should not be justified, it should not be tolerated. Bloodstained is a high profile title, crowdfunded into the millions, developed by an all-star team of industry veterans. They launched a crowdfunding campaign and busted tons of stretch goals, with Mac and Linux attractive reasons to back the project. Backers already paid in part because of their inclusion, only to have these critical features dropped entirely years into development?! Even if you're not a Mac or Linux user, I think everyone should stand together in solidarity and insist on their return for the principle of it - delivering what was promised. Maybe it takes more time, more money etc.. to do it right, but if you advertise core features and stretch goals, they should be included. Given all the aspects of the project and this decision, I think this is worth calling the banners so to speak , writing letters and getting as many individuals and organizations (including games media perhaps) involved to request more information, the return of Linux / Mac support, and refunds for those who want them. A downpour of polite but firm requests expressing their concern and disappointment may help them revisit the issue. Failing that, a negative PR/review/news hailstorm may help to sway the "bean counters/suits" or others unreachable by appeals to good-nature or honorable intent.

With luck there will be sufficient outcry as to revisit the issue, sharing more information with the community and implementing a plan to restore Mac/Linux support.

Last edited:
Can you game on it? Sure. I could also mow my yard with my beard trimmer.

That seems like a great analogy for how Windows 10 randomly mows your user data and application compatibility every few months. Sure, going without Candy Crush is hard, but we Linux gamers manage.

There are more than enough great Linux-native and compatible games now for it to be a viable platform. I find it interesting that any time Linux gaming comes up on this forum there's a particular cadre of posters shitting on Linux for no reason at all. If Linux doesn't matter why do they care? Almost makes you think somebody is worried.

This is absolutely unacceptable - I've written about it on the topic in the Gaming section. Those that may not know about this title, this is developed by the original dev behind many Castlevania games, notably the " Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" title that has become a classic. Much like Hideo Kojima, Koji Igarashi (known as IGA online casually ) likely knows Konami wasn't interested in making this kind of game anymore, so went to crowdfund the creation of a modern spiritual successor in the form of Bloodstained, via Kickstarter around 4 years ago. From the very beginning, the title offered Mac and most notably of all Linux platforms as part of the core features and subsequently rose to become a massive crowdfunding success! Blowing past the $500,000 requirement, they knocked down tons of stretch goals and eventually raised approx $5.500,000, which makes it one of the most successful crowdfunding campaigns for a non-MMO game to date. While the game has taken quite some time to develop, there was evidence of progress, including the full release of the stretch goal "mini game prequel" which turned into "Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon" , an 8-bit, classic Castlevania style title with a lot of depth. It was free to all backers and can be bought for $10 on Steam for others. It launched solely on Windows, but there was an announcement that Mac / Linux support would be on the way; clearly the current announcement makes me doubt this as well. Curse of the Moon, along with several backer Alphas, showed progress and refinement so I was willing to give them the time to get the game done right. Needless to say today's bombshell was a surprise.

It is completely unacceptable to remove Linux and Mac support, core features included since the start of the campaign, at all much less this far into the project. The way it was done made things even worse, with an unceremonious post muttering something about middleware and online play, before saying they're sorry and they had to remove Mac and Linux support; pick another platform, No Refunds! The latter bit about no refunds offered is icing on the cake, adding insult to injury. I've backed quite a few software and hardware campaigns alike (most successful, a few less so) and I've seen full refunds offered for delays and much more minor things than canceling a whole OS! Would anyone feel comfortable about picking another platform if they removed ALL PC support entirely? Of course not, some may not even have Playstations or Switches etc...as they thought they were backing a PC title! Removal of Linux and Mac mean at minimum that users of these OSes would theoretically have to pay for a Windows license in order to run the game on a supported OS. I';ve seen a call for Kickstarter backers to report the campaign as in breach of policy, not to mention local legal implications (ie notably jurisdictions such as Europe that offer stronger protections guaranteeing refunds in more conditions) so I would not at all be surprised if that bit changes if nothing else. However, that is far from the crux of the issue.

Keep in mind that Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is developed not by some small indie studio but by a multi faceted project from multiple dev houses including IntiCreates, WayForward, and published by 505 Games. Normally crowdfunded projects offer greater transparency in their development and, though they haven't been as radical as some projects showing all the inner workings of the studio good and bad alike nearly day to day, they've been offering updates every so often and other info. Thus, it makes it even worse that today's announcement about the removal of two PC OSes that were core features, gave so little information. They mentioned something about "middleware and online play" being the motivating factor - surely they considered this possibility during the previous 4 years of development, given these two OSes were part of the core feature set, right? Even if they did run into issues later, there was nothing informing the community, asking for solutions, polling for different ideas etc. The vast majority of the game's underlying engines and systems are Linux compatible, so it seems like there could be alternative paths and the community could be involved in some way. Furthermore, it is somewhat significant in the lack of information that they didn't simply delay Mac and Linux releases. In that case, I wouldn't be happy but I could be more understanding were they forthright about it and kept Linux/Mac on the docket. However they went right for completely removing support for these OSes! While I can't say for certain, this begins to feel like an excuse made at the behest of a publisher or developer rushing to finish the damn thing, cutting corners for the quickest implementation, thereby pruning away platforms that either don't work with whatever middleware they decided to staple in or were deemed by bean counters to be considered not profitable enough to spend the time. Depressingly, this is not the first time something like this has happened, causing even more cynicism among Linux users, but many things make this situation worse.

Crowdfunding is and should be different from traditional game development; different strengths and weaknesses, benefits and detriments. However, what we see happening here with Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night should NOT be accepted as "just another crowdfunding failure" or "can't trust anyone about Linux until its actually done". That kind of cynicism depresses the amount of really great, capable titles that can be developed via these methods and developers who are willing to support Mac and Linux may not get as much support for their titles because of cynical and wary users. This is simply one company, one campaign behaving badly - it should not accepted, it should not be justified, it should not be tolerated. Bloodstained is a high profile title, crowdfunded into the millions, developed by an all-star team of industry veterans. They launched a crowdfunding campaign and busted tons of stretch goals, with Mac and Linux attractive reasons to back the project. Backers already paid in part because of their inclusion, only to have these critical features dropped entirely years into development?! Even if you're not a Mac or Linux user, I think everyone should stand together in solidarity and insist on their return for the principle of it - delivering what was promised. Maybe it takes more time, more money etc.. to do it right, but if you advertise core features and stretch goals, they should be included. Given all the aspects of the project and this decision, I think this is worth calling the banners so to speak , writing letters and getting as many individuals and organizations (including games media perhaps) involved to request more information, the return of Linux / Mac support, and refunds for those who want them. A downpour of polite but firm requests expressing their concern and disappointment may help them revisit the issue. Failing that, a negative PR/review/news hailstorm may help to sway the "bean counters/suits" or others unreachable by appeals to good-nature or honorable intent.

With luck there will be sufficient outcry as to revisit the issue, sharing more information with the community and implementing a plan to restore Mac/Linux support.

You know what's really disheartening about the whole thing? Based on what we know of Linux users and their willingness to support their platform of choice on Gog.com, I'd almost put money on the fact that they forked out a greater proportion of that kickstarter campaign.

That seems like a great analogy for how Windows 10 randomly mows your user data and application compatibility every few months. Sure, going without Candy Crush is hard, but we Linux gamers manage.

There are more than enough great Linux-native and compatible games now for it to be a viable platform. I find it interesting that any time Linux gaming comes up on this forum there's a particular cadre of posters shitting on Linux for no reason at all. If Linux doesn't matter why do they care? Almost makes you think somebody is worried.

cause it is resources spent on porting to Linux rather than spent on game improvements and additions, like in this case.

cause it is resources spent on porting to Linux rather than spent on game improvements and additions, like in this case.

This comment is such a gross generalization it blatantly isn't even worth considering. The developers were the ones that stated Linux support in return for people's hard earned money.

Last edited:
Speak for yourself. Most of my computers are running Linux and I love gaming.

The last thing we need is clueless people making ridiculous claims about this on that and not being confronted.

No, you feel insulted by people attacking your OS of choice and have some insane need to defend it instead of ignoring it. That old "Someone is wrong on the internet" comic fits so many front page threads. If people want to be dicks, let them be dicks and move on. Pissing matches over OSes does not make anyone look good.

No, you feel insulted by people attacking your OS of choice and have some insane need to defend it instead of ignoring it. That old "Someone is wrong on the internet" comic fits so many front page threads. If people want to be dicks, let them be dicks and move on. Pissing matches over OSes does not make anyone look good.

If someone makes a claim that's open to criticism, blame the person making the claim, not the person confronting the individual over their misinformed claim. This is a public forum, assuming moderators don't intervene, discussion can literally go any direction based loosely on the individuals interpretation of the topic.

I don't see anyone outright attacking one another here, just relax. ;)

Ubuntu on my gaming rig.

I'm a Linux fan through and through, but the existence of Direct3D and its prevalence just means Linux and Mac gaming will, for the foreseeable future at least, be too limited.

The reason I say this as a response to this thread... This is not an uncommon scenario and will continue to happen

Agree though that what was promised should be delivered, or refund given.

Last edited:

Heh. Let's not forget this very thread exists because a developer made a promise, took the money, then decided to not follow through. That's called fraud. Don't try to normalize it. Don't fucking try to play it down.

It doesn't matter that I've never heard of this game. Letting such bullshit fly is bad for everyone. It's not practical in the wrong term. It's a bout the principle. Has nothing to do with me feeling insulted haha. No, I feel hungry. Haven't had my breakfast

"The game will be developed for Steam (PC/Mac/Linux), GOG.com (PC/Mac/Linux), XBOX One, Playstation 4, Wii U, and PS Vita. For the first time on Kickstarter, backers will have the option to receive physical retail copies for all supported platforms: PC / XB1 / PS4 / Wii U / Vita."
Pretty sure they cancelled this for Vita. A damn shame.

This coming year is TOTALLY going to be the year of the mainstream Linux desktop you guys, I can feel it.... </s>

I'm a Linux fan through and through, but the existence of Direct3D and its prevalence just means Linux and Mac gaming will, for the foreseeable future at least, be too limited.

The reason I say this as a response to this thread... This is not an uncommon scenario and will continue to happen

Agree though that what was promised should be delivered, or refund given.

DirectX now has a viable competitor called Vulkan and Wine/Proton/DXVK are only getting better and more efficient. DX12 has failed to really make any impact at all. I'm reading about people claiming that 75% of their Steam library is now playable under Linux either native or via Steamplay/Proton in increasing numbers. So if 'limited' means Linux won't play 100% of the titles available under Windows? Well, no one plays 100% of the titles available under Windows anyway. Those that do, if they exist, should put the bong down and go out into the blinking daylight. ;)

When I play a native Windows title under Linux using Proton, I forget what OS I'm running as it's just not important. Apple will die as a gaming platform and that will solely be a result of Apple themselves, Apple don't care about the desktop anymore.

Last edited:
DirectX now has a viable competitor called Vulkan and Wine/Proton/DXVK are only getting better and more efficient. DX12 has failed to really make any impact at all. I'm reading about people claiming that 75% of their Steam library is now playable under Linux either native or via Steamplay/Proton in increasing numbers. So if 'limited' means Linux won't play 100% of the titles available under Windows? Well, no one plays 100% of the titles available under Windows anyway. Those that do, if they exist, should put the bong down and go out into the blinking daylight. ;)
Christ, this tired argument again. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since I don't remember who was saying this last, so here's the reason that's a poor argument and you should stop using it:

True, no one is playing 100% of titles available under Windows. However, MANY people play 100% of titles they OWN and WANT TO PLAY. Which games those are will be different for every person, so it becomes a matter of probability. While of course no one is playing all games out there, if they can only play 75% of games they own that's unacceptable to many people. Would you want to only be able to watch 75% of movies you own, or listen to 75% of music you own? The closer that number gets to 100%, the more realistic it is.

Furthermore, when you look at WHICH titles cannot be played, it's often not the shovelware, but the big AAA releases with more intensive DRM, in other words, titles a lot of people play. Linux is making a lot of progress, but please, for everyone's sake, stop using that argument. It makes you look bad and turns gamers off from Linux.

Before crowdfunding, ask yourself “Will I be happy if I receive nothing from this donation?” If the answer is no, then don’t send any money.
Well stated! Read the TOS for Kickstarter. Understand you are donating and might not get what you expected.
That said, I will selectively back certain Kickstarters. I tend to focus on software - I will back developers I like (Brian Fargo recently for Bard's Tale). I like that there is an option for devs to get funding without making bad deals with publishers - it will hopefully give them enough freedom to try to complete their initial vision for what they were trying to create.
Trust me, I've backed a few Kickstarter's that failed. However, I knew going in what I was getting into.
For this developer, I would be upset had I backed them and they backed out of a promise (Linux/macOS). I think it's good they are offering a different platform choice. I think they might consider offering refunds people not getting what was originally touted - it would be the honorable thing to do.

Pretty sure they cancelled this for Vita. A damn shame.

From my understanding the cancellation of Vita and WiiU were announced earlier and are dependent on things outside the developer's control - notably the EOL'ing of both of those consoles. Unlike any PC OSes, producing an officially supported game on consoles has to be done with the validation and approval of the console platform owner every step of the way. I believe both consoles are now end of life, so nobody can officially make new games for either one distributed globally via official channels.

If someone makes a claim that's open to criticism, blame the person making the claim, not the person confronting the individual over their misinformed claim. This is a public forum, assuming moderators don't intervene, discussion can literally go any direction based loosely on the individuals interpretation of the topic.

I don't see anyone outright attacking one another here, just relax. ;)

I took the initial post that started the whole Linux vs windows crap as a clearly obvious snarky troll post intended to rile Linux folks up. So, by jumping in to defend Linux and "confronting them" it just looks to me like people were giving the poster what they wanted in the first place.

Heh. Let's not forget this very thread exists because a developer made a promise, took the money, then decided to not follow through. That's called fraud. Don't try to normalize it. Don't fucking try to play it down.

It doesn't matter that I've never heard of this game. Letting such bullshit fly is bad for everyone. It's not practical in the wrong term. It's a bout the principle. Has nothing to do with me feeling insulted haha. No, I feel hungry. Haven't had my breakfast

How am I playing it down? Asking people to stop the OS pissing match would get rid of every post that isn't related to the topic at hand. People arguing over OSes fills the thread with BS and detracts from what the actual topic should be about.

When I play a native Windows title under Linux using Proton, I forget what OS I'm running as it's just not important. Apple will die as a gaming platform and that will solely be a result of Apple themselves, Apple don't care about the desktop anymore.

LOL. Vulkan, with its lack of support for ray-tracing or workload balancing across multiple chips from multiple different vendors? Vulkan that is still at least half a generation behind DX in development? Vulkan that still can't even match the performance of DX11 in some workloads? That Vulkan?

Also, there's this:

Here is the list of Steam Platinum sellers for 2018:

• Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (Windows, Xbox One, PS4, Switch)
  • Civilization VI (Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Switch)
  • The Elder Scrolls Online (Windows, Mac, Xbox One, PS4)
  • Monster Hunter: World (Windows, Xbox One, PS4)
  • Warframe (Windows, Xbox One, PS4, Switch)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (Windows, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
  • Dota 2 (Windows, Mac, Linux)
  • PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (Windows, iOS, Android, Xbox One, PS4)
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (Windows, Mac, Linux, Xbox 360, PS3)
  • Far Cry 5 (Windows, Xbox One, PS4)
  • Rocket League (Windows, Mac, Linux, Xbox One, PS4, Switch)
  • Rainbow Six Siege (Windows, Xbox One, PS4)
Of the 12 top selling steam games, 100% are available on Windows, 42% are available on Mac, 33% are available on Linux (and these are the older, less resource intensive options).

Meanwhile, 83% of the titles are on the Xbox One, 75% are on the PS4

"due to challenges of supporting middleware and online feature support and making sure we deliver on the rest of the scope for the game."
So did nobody else read this? Sounds to me like Linux/Mac support is being dropped in favor of bullshit services which technically have nothing to do with the core game...

That text wall for removing os support from a kickstarter? I suppose I admire your passion. I am far too jaded to get up in arms for something like this.

Christ, this tired argument again. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since I don't remember who was saying this last, so here's the reason that's a poor argument and you should stop using it:

True, no one is playing 100% of titles available under Windows. However, MANY people play 100% of titles they OWN and WANT TO PLAY. Which games those are will be different for every person, so it becomes a matter of probability. While of course no one is playing all games out there, if they can only play 75% of games they own that's unacceptable to many people. Would you want to only be able to watch 75% of movies you own, or listen to 75% of music you own? The closer that number gets to 100%, the more realistic it is.

Furthermore, when you look at WHICH titles cannot be played, it's often not the shovelware, but the big AAA releases with more intensive DRM, in other words, titles a lot of people play. Linux is making a lot of progress, but please, for everyone's sake, stop using that argument. It makes you look bad and turns gamers off from Linux.

I'm not arguing, I'm discussing. :)

75% of my titles, considering the fact that I can be done with Windows 10 and all of it's glaring issues, is actually a pretty good trade. It appears, through simple reading of the numerous forums sprawled across the internet, that I'm not the only one that thinks this way. The fact that your opinion is biased against Linux, doesn't automatically make it the right one.

Windows is the platform plagued with shovelware, if even half of the titles under Linux on Steam were total garbage, which they are not, there would still be more gaming titles available for Linux under Steam than those available overall for either Xbox or PS4 - Two systems aimed solely at gamers. If you're in support of overzealous DRM that effectively runs as malware, that's concerning.

LOL. Vulkan, with its lack of support for ray-tracing or workload balancing across multiple chips from multiple different vendors? Vulkan that is still at least half a generation behind DX in development? Vulkan that still can't even match the performance of DX11 in some workloads? That Vulkan?

God, I hope no one here thinks ray tracing is viable at this point in time. Fact is: Vulkan is becoming a very viable contender to DirectX, the death of DirectX would benefit everyone.

I took the initial post that started the whole Linux vs windows crap as a clearly obvious snarky troll post intended to rile Linux folks up. So, by jumping in to defend Linux and "confronting them" it just looks to me like people were giving the poster what they wanted in the first place.

I still don't see the issue? Are you saying it's wrong to correct people where Linux is concerned because Windows at this point in time forms the bulk of the desktop platform due to the fact it's on that device when you buy it, irregardless of the OP?

Last edited:
I'm not arguing, I'm discussing. :)

75% of my titles, considering the fact that I can be done with Windows 10 and all of it's glaring issues, is actually a pretty good trade. It appears, through simple reading of the numerous forums sprawled across the internet, that I'm not the only one that thinks this way. The fact that your opinion is biased against Linux, doesn't automatically make it the right one.

Windows is the platform plagued with shovelware, if even half of the titles under Linux on Steam were total garbage, which they are not, there would still be more gaming titles available for Linux under Steam than those available overall for either Xbox or PS4 - Two systems aimed solely at gamers. If you're in support of overzealous DRM that effectively runs as malware, that's concerning.
First off, I'm actually not biased against Linux. I'm biased TOWARDS PC gaming. I can understand though if you interpret that as the same thing. If Linux let me play MORE titles than Windows, I'd be biased towards it. I think Windows 10 is a horrendous paradigm shift that takes control over the user. That doesn't mean I want to give up games I enjoy. It means I have shitty choices either way. On Windows 10, I'll have more antagonistic software, on Linux I'll have less functioning games.

Second, why bring up Xbox and PS4? Those are locked down systems with proprietary hardware. Those are different markets. You sound like you're just parroting lines now. Stop and think about what you're saying.

Tell the AVERAGE PC GAMER that they can get off Windows if they're willing to give up at least 25% of their library and they'll probably tell you they're not interested because that doesn't create value from a gaming perspective. What if I told you, you could leave Linux for a new OS that runs faster, but it can't run as many games in your library. Would you want to switch? If yes, what number would be acceptable to you? 75%? 30%? If no, why not?

First off, I'm actually not biased against Linux. I'm biased TOWARDS PC gaming. I can understand though if you interpret that as the same thing. If Linux let me play MORE titles than Windows, I'd be biased towards it. I think Windows 10 is a horrendous paradigm shift that takes control over the user. That doesn't mean I want to give up games I enjoy. It means I have shitty choices either way. On Windows 10, I'll have more antagonistic software, on Linux I'll have less functioning games.

Second, why bring up Xbox and PS4? Those are locked down systems with proprietary hardware. Those are different markets. You sound like you're just parroting lines now. Stop and think about what you're saying.

Tell the AVERAGE PC GAMER that they can get off Windows if they're willing to give up at least 25% of their library and they'll probably tell you they're not interested because that doesn't create value from a gaming perspective. What if I told you, you could leave Linux for a new OS that runs faster, but it can't run as many games in your library. Would you want to switch? If yes, what number would be acceptable to you? 75%? 30%? If no, why not?

First of all, don't manipulate the discussion towards 'PC gaming', it's predictable and a common tactic among Windows users on the [H] forums. This thread is not specifically aimed towards PC gaming, the developer in question robbed gamers in general of money by claiming to support a number of platforms not specifically related to the PC.

Second of all, considering the above mentioned point regarding deliberately attempting to manipulate the discussion towards PC gaming in order to bias Windows in the discussion, if you were at all biased towards 'gaming in general' you would be against proprietary API's such as Microsoft's DirectX and Apple's Metal (which is destined for failure anyway) in favor of open API's such as Vulkan.

Even the developers themselves are beginning to see the numerous advantages of an API that's not platform specific.

I am an average gamer, I'm talking about average gamers and the average gamer doesn't care for 100% of titles available on the PC as a platform - The hardcore gamer cares for 100% of all titles available on the PC as a platform, and the hardcore gamer is not as common as you'd prefer to argue. As an average gamer, I'm more than happy to sacrifice 25% of my library, of which I hardly play anymore anyway, for a better OS with less issues that respects me 100% as the user of my PC. Lastly, Linux is actually a faster OS than Windows, so I did sacrifice 25% of my library for a faster OS in general.

Last edited:

Also, there's this:

Here is the list of Steam Platinum sellers for 2018:

• Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (Windows, Xbox One, PS4, Switch)
  • Civilization VI (Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Switch)
  • The Elder Scrolls Online (Windows, Mac, Xbox One, PS4)
  • Monster Hunter: World (Windows, Xbox One, PS4)
  • Warframe (Windows, Xbox One, PS4, Switch)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (Windows, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
  • Dota 2 (Windows, Mac, Linux)
  • PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (Windows, iOS, Android, Xbox One, PS4)
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (Windows, Mac, Linux, Xbox 360, PS3)
  • Far Cry 5 (Windows, Xbox One, PS4)
  • Rocket League (Windows, Mac, Linux, Xbox One, PS4, Switch)
  • Rainbow Six Siege (Windows, Xbox One, PS4)
Of the 12 top selling steam games, 100% are available on Windows, 42% are available on Mac, 33% are available on Linux (and these are the older, less resource intensive options).

Meanwhile, 83% of the titles are on the Xbox One, 75% are on the PS4

Considering SteamPlay/Proton, more of those titles are available under Linux than you've accounted for. Monster Hunter, Warframe and Grand Theft Auto V I play under Linux all the time no problems. I actually forget that I'm not running Windows when playing these titles TBH.

As an added bonus, they were absolutely no harder to install than under native Windows.

"due to challenges of supporting middleware and online feature support and making sure we deliver on the rest of the scope for the game."
So did nobody else read this? Sounds to me like Linux/Mac support is being dropped in favor of bullshit services which technically have nothing to do with the core game...

Indeed, I covered it in my post. I'd love to see more information of exactly what is wrong with the middleware and/or online features, but they didn't give us the kind of detailed information that I expect from a crowdfunded title. I'm about 95% certain that issues with either one could be worked around or fixed, allowing Mac and Linux support to remain. It may take more time or resources than they'd like to invest, but that is a problem of their o

That text wall for removing os support from a kickstarter? I suppose I admire your passion. I am far too jaded to get up in arms for something like this.

I often post in walls of text, but it is more about the principle of the thing. Aside from the sore spot among Mac and (especially) Linux users having been disappointed in the past, this is also about what we're willing to accept from crowdfunding. The idea has merit as well as risks, but cutting out major features, core and stretch goal alike should not be one of them .

We've seen time and time again that the game industry (and sadly, many other industries as well) will continue to push the envelope on customer-unfriendly behavior if they can profit more than they assume the cost will be - microtransactions, lootboxes/gatcha, "horse armor" DLC, "F2P" monetization and much more. Bloodstained, due to is high profile and funding amount, is a great focal point to say "No, we will not accept this" and, if the developers will not reconsider, to the best of our ability bring costs - tangible and intangible alike to that decision. If this is allowed to stand, it will further erode the already shaky support for crowdfunding, which will harm honest players and developers in the long run while offering the shady ones knowledge that outside of a few short-term angry posts nothing will be done and thus allowing them to adopt the behavior and cause a further downward spiral.

lol

But seriously, I have no issue with Linux. It's a great operating system for many tasks. Gaming isn't one of them.

Can you game on it? Sure. I could also mow my yard with my beard trimmer.

you are suppose to have your kids use beard trimmers or a pair of scissors to cut the grass as punishment, not use them yourself.

See kids this is what happens when you are clueless, XBOX One is holding back DX12, AAA Devs aim for XBOX, PC and PlayStation, since the XBOX and PC shares the same graphics API whilst Sony has their own API which is similar to Direct X.

We haven't seen Mass AAA Studio Adoption of DX12 because the XBOX one only supports dx11.

Yes there are more of us gaming on Linux then some of you believe.

These kickstarter things are mostly BS. For true talent they either don't really need the kickstarter or shouldn't really have any issue finding real investment dollars.

This donate to a struggling artist crap needs to end. lol

On a semi related note... as a die hard Linux user / gamer proton and steam play may be a problem going forward. The simple fact is all these indie type games in general run really really well via Proton. I recently built a new Ryzen 2200g system for my teen daughter... she installed a lot of older indie type games from my steam. A lot of the indie titles in my library some of have no Linux native installed just fine one click, launch and go. Even older games like Fallout las vegas she click installed and started playing with surprisingly smooth framerates. I guess I'm saying going forward I can't say I would blame a lot of indie developers if they don't bother with a native Linux build... if it runs 100% fine and at 99% the speed under proton.

First of all, don't manipulate the discussion towards 'PC gaming', it's predictable and a common tactic among Windows users on the [H] forums. This thread is not specifically aimed towards PC gaming, the developer in question robbed gamers in general of money by claiming to support a number of platforms not specifically related to the PC.
Then why the hell are you bringing up consoles, pointing out Linux has more games than them? Consoles have more marketshare than Linux by several orders of magnitude. You're claiming I'm trying to manipulate the conversation, what non-manipulative point were you trying to make by pointing out consoles have fewer games?

MazzSpeed said:
Second of all, considering the above mentioned point regarding deliberately attempting to manipulate the discussion towards PC gaming in order to bias Windows in the discussion, if you were at all biased towards 'gaming in general' you would be against proprietary API's such as Microsoft's DirectX and Apple's Metal (which is destined for failure anyway) in favor of open API's such as Vulkan.
You just mentioned conversation manipulation, yet you've accused me of Windows bias and now you're implying I'm in where did I say I was FOR proprietary software solutions? I literally just said I have bad options either way in the last post. That means I don't LIKE locked down solutions, but I have to face reality also. You've made it clear you're not as extensive a gamer as I am, so that's a reality you can happily avoid.

MazzSpeed said:
I am an average gamer, I'm talking about average gamers and the average gamer doesn't care for 100% of titles available on the PC as a platform - The hardcore gamer cares for 100% of all titles available on the PC as a platform, and the hardcore gamer is not as common as you'd prefer to argue. As an average gamer, I'm more than happy to sacrifice 25% of my library, of which I hardly play anymore anyway, for a better OS with less issues that respects me 100% as the user of my PC. Lastly, Linux is actually a faster OS than Windows, so I did sacrifice 25% of my library for a faster OS in general.
I'd argue you're not the average gamer actually. The average gamer wants things to "just work", which is most certainly NOT a 75% number on Linux. That would probably be closer to 30%. Going back to your original point, the average gamer is more likely to game on a console before Linux and in many cases Windows also. I guess we'll just agree to disagree that the average gamer would be willing to omit 25% of games they were interested in for having a less locked down OS. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the average person has been a large part of the problem for how Draconian Windows has become due to their willingness to tolerate (or even defend) terrible practices out of convenience. The AVERAGE gamer is always going to flow to the path of least resistance. I would argue neither you nor I are average in that sense, but I think giving up access to games is a hard pill to swallow for ANY gamer outside of casual ones.

Regardless, you didn't answer the question. About what number is an acceptable loss of your library to switch to a different OS? Obviously at least 25%. At what point would you decide it's just too low?

See kids this is what happens when you are clueless, XBOX One is holding back DX12, AAA Devs aim for XBOX, PC and PlayStation, since the XBOX and PC shares the same graphics API whilst Sony has their own API which is similar to Direct X.

We haven't seen Mass AAA Studio Adoption of DX12 because the XBOX one only supports dx11.

I would say the real reason is... DX 12 brings very little to the table. Although it CAN be faster if optimized properly, doing so costs more developer time then its worth.

DX12 is about giving developers a lot of control over hardware directly. The issue with that is the PC has 100s of potential 3D hardware targets... even if you pull out the top 10 GPUs by market share at any one time, you are going to be targeting 5 or 6 architectures. That isn't going to get any better with new cards from AMD and Intel.

DX12... and to an extent Vulcan is guilty of the same error/flaw. Both try to solve a problem that wasn't a problem. Game developers ARE NOT good programmers. That is just the way it is. There is a reason why so many studios use commercial engines like Unreal / Unity / Source ect ect its because they don't have the money or time (same thing) to build their own. There is no reason for a gaming company to hire AAA programming talent capable of building such engines, they need code monkeys and artists. DX12 (and Vulcan and Metal) go in the exact opposite direction of every 3D API before it from DX 1 / OpenGL 1 to DX 11 / GL 4.6 . The entire point of those APIs is to be high level programming APIs so average every day code monkeys can turn out cool shaders ect. Every generation prior to this last one got EASIER to code with each generation... things where pre built, things that used to take a few steps got boiled down to one. 3D effects got easier to code not harder. Code got almost downright non programmer human readable.

DX12 fails for many reasons... but xbox support is hardly the biggest issue. Only the most dedicated (paid by MS) developers have been (or are going to) burn resources coding for DX12. Vulkan does have many of the same issues... but at least its an API that can be rolled out across multiple platforms and has gotten some decent support from the prebuilt engine folks.

Regardless, you didn't answer the question. About what number is an acceptable loss of your library to switch to a different OS? Obviously at least 25%. At what point would you decide it's just too low?

https://www.protondb.com/

3,387 games reported as working as I post this.
The number of games reported as platinum status (run with a click, install and go at almost = performance) keeps going up with every release. The number that move from bronze/silver into the gold status of working the a tweak or two is going up even faster... and the number of completely borked titles drops every day.
Right now most games that are "gold" status of working perfectly after a tweak or two all require the same handful of "tweaks" be it calling a specific library at launch or turning things like esync off. Point being after a couple of revisions on Valves end those things get pushed with the steam play download and move to platinum click and install for all status.

Windows is still faster right now... so hey if you really are trying to push 4k pixel counts, or really can somehow tell a 5-10fps drop when you are over 100fps already then ya windows is tops for now. I would say for many gamers who are not into the current S show of terrible AAA titles and/or are not insanely trying to push 4k gaming right now... Linux offers all the advantages of Linux brings while still being a very satisfying gaming platform. And with proton as long as you have a reasonably current system the majority of the windows game catalog is playable.

Then why the hell are you bringing up consoles, pointing out Linux has more games than them? Consoles have more marketshare than Linux by several orders of magnitude. You're claiming I'm trying to manipulate the conversation, what non-manipulative point were you trying to make by pointing out consoles have fewer games?

You just mentioned conversation manipulation, yet you've accused me of Windows bias and now you're implying I'm in where did I say I was FOR proprietary software solutions? I literally just said I have bad options either way in the last post. That means I don't LIKE locked down solutions, but I have to face reality also. You've made it clear you're not as extensive a gamer as I am, so that's a reality you can happily avoid.

I'd argue you're not the average gamer actually. The average gamer wants things to "just work", which is most certainly NOT a 75% number on Linux. That would probably be closer to 30%. Going back to your original point, the average gamer is more likely to game on a console before Linux and in many cases Windows also. I guess we'll just agree to disagree that the average gamer would be willing to omit 25% of games they were interested in for having a less locked down OS. In fact, I'd go so far as to say the average person has been a large part of the problem for how Draconian Windows has become due to their willingness to tolerate (or even defend) terrible practices out of convenience. The AVERAGE gamer is always going to flow to the path of least resistance. I would argue neither you nor I are average in that sense, but I think giving up access to games is a hard pill to swallow for ANY gamer outside of casual ones.

Exactly, consoles have more marketshare than Linux, at the moment - Linux has more titles than consoles and growing. Obviously developers see something in Linux that you don't. The reality is that as a consumer, Microsoft don't care a hoot for you, that fact doesn't sit well with me. Fact is, certain consoles also missed out on this title, just like Linux.

Obviously we have differing opinions as to what constitutes an average gamer, not really interested in discussing this any further and I'm not changing my point of view - We're just going to degrade the thread going round and round. '100% Games' is not a valid enough reason for myself, as an average gamer, to put up with the shit that is Windows 10.

I'm not entirely sure what this acceptable loss question is all about? Initially I lost ~20% of my library, I gained about another 10% with the advent of Proton. In order to be free of Windows 10 I was fine with that. Especially considering just how well my system runs now, the updating process, the clean UI - It's been fantastic.

Due to the fact that I have every confidence that very few Windows users funded most of the campaign for this title, I find this bait and switch relating to the OP disappointing, but I'm not surprised and never heard of the game anyway so I don't care. The dev can stick to Windows users, the title will probably fail anyway. Like ChadD stated, one of the biggest issues now is that there's a difference between a coder and a game developer, the closer we get to the metal in relation to game development, the more developers will fail.

Last edited:
I Kickstarted the Vita version of this game years ago, only for them for cancel that version and it was the biggest letdown. It's long been a dream of mine to have my name in the credits of a physical Vita game and this was my last damn shot! I didn't even realize they had actually promised a Linux version too. If I had know, i'm positive that I would have switched my order over to that instead of cancelling, but God damn after seeing this recent news I guess it's a good thing I did already get my money back and pull out.

Back