Bloodhound SSC Starts First Test, Hits 210 MPH

monkeymagick

[H]News
For the first time recently, the Bloodhound SSC was able to hit a speed of 210 mph on its first runway test after several project delays. The goal for the group working on the Bloodhound SSC is to reach a top speed over 1,000 mph on land, current record is at 763.035 mph. The supersonic car was driven by Andy Green of the British Royal Air Force, who holds the record for World's Fastest Land Speed record and also the first person to break the sound barrier on land.

"Stopping a slippery, five ton car, running on low-grip aircraft tires, is a challenge within the relatively limited length of the 2.7km runway here, particularly as the car continues accelerating after I lift off the throttle," Green explained. "I discovered during the initial dynamic tests that to get the car to 200mph, I would have to take my foot off the throttle at 130mph as it then carries on accelerating for another two seconds. And then to slow down, I need to apply gentle pressure to the brakes for two seconds to 'warm up' the carbon fibre disk brakes before applying full force on the brakes to stop the car."

I think it's funny that the Bloodhound uses a supercharged 5.0 Ltr Jaguar V8 engine, just to pump fuel to the real engine.
Yeah nuts.
They are changing it to an electric motor feed.

Last edited:
looks like a death trap to me i need to see an ejection seat added

For the first time recently, the Bloodhound SSC was able to hit a speed of 210 mph on its first runway test after several project delays. The goal for the group working on the Bloodhound SSC is to reach a top speed over 1,000 mph on land, current record is at 763.035 mph. The supersonic car was driven by Andy Green of the British Royal Air Force, who holds the record for World's Fastest Land Speed record and also the first person to break the sound barrier on land.

"Stopping a slippery, five ton car, running on low-grip aircraft tires, is a challenge within the relatively limited length of the 2.7km runway here, particularly as the car continues accelerating after I lift off the throttle," Green explained. "I discovered during the initial dynamic tests that to get the car to 200mph, I would have to take my foot off the throttle at 130mph as it then carries on accelerating for another two seconds. And then to slow down, I need to apply gentle pressure to the brakes for two seconds to 'warm up' the carbon fibre disk brakes before applying full force on the brakes to stop the car."

As cool as this is, what's the practical benefit of this whole endeavor? Getting a Guinness record or something?

Them: We did it!
Me: Good for you. Win anything?
Them: A record
Me: any money?
Them: No
Me: Who paid for all this?
Them: us
Me: So you spent a fortune on a technology that is utterly useless for any practical use to achieve a piece of paper? Sounds awesome
Them: It is
Me: What are you going to do now?
Them: File for bankruptcy

Land speed records used to be cool when the vehicles were propelled by internal combustion engines. Now, they're just strapping some wheels to a fucking jet engine. It's no longer cool. It's sad

Land speed records used to be cool when the vehicles were propelled by internal combustion engines. Now, they're just strapping some wheels to a fucking jet engine. It's no longer cool. It's sad

Dude. That there jet engine they are using is an internal combustion engine lol.

Dude. That there jet engine they are using is an internal combustion engine lol.

technically, yes. But, we're talking thrust versus rotational force.

I mean, just strap some wheels on a fucking rocket and stick a person on the front.

technically, yes. But, we're talking thrust versus rotational force.

I was not talking about how they achieve momentum. I was pointing out that they are using an internal combustion engine because you were stating that they're using a "fucking jet engine" instead of an internal combustion engine. You posted wrong information I'm just correcting it.

I know what you were trying to state though. I'm sure it has something to do with rotational mass inertia friction and a whole shit load of other reasons on why they eliminated the drivetrain and rely on only the internal combustion engine to move.

1000mph seems like a pretty ambitious goal seeing as how the current record is 7xxmph.

1000mph seems like a pretty ambitious goal seeing as how the current record is 7xxmph.

It makes sense though. If they beat the record but fail at hitting their goal of 1000mph the guy in charge can still tell them they are a bunch of pos worthless fucks that won't be getting a bonus since they didn't achieve or exceed their target goal.

Them: We did it!
Me: Good for you. Win anything?
Them: A record
Me: any money?
Them: No
Me: Who paid for all this?
Them: us
Me: So you spent a fortune on a technology that is utterly useless for any practical use to achieve a piece of paper? Sounds awesome
Them: It is
Me: What are you going to do now?
Them: File for bankruptcy

You just described every single motor sport on earth.

If there was a reason, other than "because why not?", then it wouldn't be nearly as impressive.

I'm no expert, but from what I've gathered, supersonic is a huge barrier. Once you're past it, it actually becomes less difficult to go even faster. The X1 hit mach 2 about 5 years after it broke mach 1, then mach 2.4 less than a year later.

Not to say that the ground effect won't cause major issues though.

Back