BLOODBORNE - Gamescom gameplay trailer

Is there any advantage to not wasting him? That's the main reason I went bonkers offing NPC's on my first pass. There didn't seem to be a lot of reasons not to.

Is there any advantage to not wasting him? That's the main reason I went bonkers offing NPC's on my first pass. There didn't seem to be a lot of reasons not to.

There was this one NPC, some poor woman praying on her knees that she might be spared death from monsters. I couldn't bring myself to kill her. Dunno what she is there for. The interact prompt comes up when you approach her, but she doesn't speak or acknowledge you, just repeats her prayer.

There was this one NPC, some poor woman praying on her knees that she might be spared death from monsters. I couldn't bring myself to kill her. Dunno what she is there for. The interact prompt comes up when you approach her, but she doesn't speak or acknowledge you, just repeats her prayer.

That is one of the only NPCs I didn't kill. But I wanted to, if she so much as stood up I was going to kill her :eek:

Haha, yeah I killed him long before the I beat BSB. He shot first so I killed him for it. :D When I beat him I thought I lost the badge he dropped. My last hit pushed him off the tower and the loot was floating in mid air with no way to reach it. I had to quit and reload and it was on the ground on top of the tower so I did get it.

Haha, yeah I killed him long before the I beat BSB. He shot first so I killed him for it. :D When I beat him I thought I lost the badge he dropped. My last hit pushed him off the tower and the loot was floating in mid air with no way to reach it. I had to quit and reload and it was on the ground on top of the tower so I did get it.

Pretty much what happened to me.
I'll try to friend him on NG+ soon. Having too much fun in the Chalice Dungeons right now.

He wanted to be your friend. </3
It's how you approach the area, I think its if you come in from a different entry and not the Old Yharnam light, he doesn't attack you and you can talk to him. I'm not sure there is an order to it, but could be(Like having to sneak up on him before he sees you).

It also keys off you killing his "friends that have turned" down below. If he see's you doing that, he will kill you... if you come up from behind without any kills, he's neutral and you get the dialogue option. :D

Pretty much what happened to me.
I'll try to friend him on NG+ soon. Having too much fun in the Chalice Dungeons right now.

Ok, what's the trick to having fun in the chalice dungeons? It all feels very plain and generic to me! My NG+ playthrough (just past cage head) has been much more exciting than any of the 8 or 9 chalice runs I've done. I just want to get enough of the ritual blood (4) so that I can get into a tougher dungeon and get a beast claw for my final weapon. Is the only way to do this is to trudge through the easier dungeons?

Ok, what's the trick to having fun in the chalice dungeons? It all feels very plain and generic to me! My NG+ playthrough (just past cage head) has been much more exciting than any of the 8 or 9 chalice runs I've done. I just want to get enough of the ritual blood (4) so that I can get into a tougher dungeon and get a beast claw for my final weapon. Is the only way to do this is to trudge through the easier dungeons?

they definitely get repetitive...I completed only the dungeons necessary to get to the 'final boss'- Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen...also to get the Achievement for killing her...she's actually a part of the main story and has an interesting lore as far as the world of Bloodborne...other then that the cursed dungeon was the one that started to get me annoyed but I finished it...skipped all the Root ones

maybe I was so into the main story that the dungeons felt like a distraction from finishing the game...maybe on a subsequent playthrough I'll enjoy them more

I hated the chalice dungeons. I completed 4 of them just for the sake of wanted to finish something I started (and get the Claw) but it was torture after the first one. I liked the first one, and then I realized that all of the other ones were just like it. The bosses were the only highlights.

Beat Rom last night and I was a bit disappointed. Even though it took 3 tries cause of all the minions, he was really easy compared to the NPC hunter before. One loss was really lame, the area looks infinite but there is an actual invisible wall. There was nothing I could do with minions to left and right Rom in the front and a invisible wall to back. Funny thing though is all I could do was just keep spamming R1 with the Tonitrus and got him to a sliver of health, but I ran out of stamina.

Unfortunately after Rom I lost my farming spot for Twin Shards and Echos (Hypogean Gaol), and all the store prices went up again :( . Oh well now I need to find a place to farm Blood Rocks. :)

Beat Rom last night and I was a bit disappointed. Even though it took 3 tries cause of all the minions, he was really easy compared to the NPC hunter before. One loss was really lame, the area looks infinite but there is an actual invisible wall. There was nothing I could do with minions to left and right Rom in the front and a invisible wall to back. Funny thing though is all I could do was just keep spamming R1 with the Tonitrus and got him to a sliver of health, but I ran out of stamina.

Unfortunately after Rom I lost my farming spot for Twin Shards and Echos (Hypogean Gaol), and all the store prices went up again :( . Oh well now I need to find a place to farm Blood Rocks. :)

lol... aren't the blood rocks the unfarmable +10 rocks? I think you mean blood chunks? :)

I finally got my blood rock last night in NG+ when someone kind enough in a summon lead me to it. By the time we had gotten through all the mobs in that area, I had no more vials. And just when I was about to message him that I couldn't fight the next boss (had half a million souls) he seppuke'd.

Rom felt so easy my first time through (I might have been overleveled for it in NG). But it was considerably more difficult my second time through. I summoned someone for my second try and it was some guy from Japan that just completely wrecked him while I was still working on the spiders. Ever since I turned on the multiplayer search to include global, it feels like I only get people from Japan or from Mexico. But at least there's a lot more multiplayer action going on!

I summoned one guy during Martyr Logarius and he died on purpose then sent me a message saying 'get wrecked noob'...I miss my mature PC peeps lol

I summoned one guy during Martyr Logarius and he died on purpose then sent me a message saying 'get wrecked noob'...I miss my mature PC peeps lol

I'm on that fight now. Dude is a real bitch because if you try to heal he teleports and interrupts you with perfect timing. I previewed the fight by joining someone else, who had already summoned a guy before me so there were 3 of us total and even then it was a decent fight and we beat him. Then I tried him solo and got wrecked. Its kind of a hassle to get back to him too.

I guess I can appreciate him though since the bosses up to this point hadn't posed any great challenge - a lot of em were just a matter of staying behind them (DB Paarl, etc).

Taking a break from BB now to avoid burnout so I can try my first runthrough of Demon's Souls - wow does it feel dated but can appreciate it as the prototype for the games to follow.

Last edited:
Martyr Logarius and Ebrietas were the most difficult bosses for me. With Logarius, I lucked out and he ended up in a corner, and as a result, kept trying to hit me with melee attacks which I just parried and riposted.

Ebrietas just took a few times, but once I learned to stay back, get a couple hits, dodge dodge dodge, and repeat, she fell pretty easily too.

lol... aren't the blood rocks the unfarmable +10 rocks? I think you mean blood chunks? :)

I finally got my blood rock last night in NG+ when someone kind enough in a summon lead me to it. By the time we had gotten through all the mobs in that area, I had no more vials. And just when I was about to message him that I couldn't fight the next boss (had half a million souls) he seppuke'd.

Rom felt so easy my first time through (I might have been overleveled for it in NG). But it was considerably more difficult my second time through. I summoned someone for my second try and it was some guy from Japan that just completely wrecked him while I was still working on the spiders. Ever since I turned on the multiplayer search to include global, it feels like I only get people from Japan or from Mexico. But at least there's a lot more multiplayer action going on!
Yeah chunks. :) The one that takes it to +9. I am probably overleveled in NG. I did farm like a maniac in Hypogean Gaol. I think I am Level 83 or 84 but I wanted those Twin Shards. I have like 36 now but I can't really use them to upgrade the rest of my weapons, I am reserving them for Blade of Mercy and Burial Blade so I only have 4 spares but need 34 to upgrade the rest of my weapons to +6. In hindsight I should have waited till I got that amount to beat Rom but farming is kind of boring. I wish there was a way to convert shards to twin shards cause I got a ton of them 99 and like 200+ in storage.

Yeah chunks. :) The one that takes it to +9. I am probably overleveled in NG. I did farm like a maniac in Hypogean Gaol. I think I am Level 83 or 84 but I wanted those Twin Shards. I have like 36 now but I can't really use them to upgrade the rest of my weapons, I am reserving them for Blade of Mercy and Burial Blade so I only have 4 spares but need 34 to upgrade the rest of my weapons to +6. In hindsight I should have waited till I got that amount to beat Rom but farming is kind of boring. I wish there was a way to convert shards to twin shards cause I got a ton of them 99 and like 200+ in storage.

Lol, after a certain point in the game, you can buy twin shards from a vendor. Just sell your shards for blood echo.

Lol, after a certain point in the game, you can buy twin shards from a vendor. Just sell your shards for blood echo.

Not to mention twin shards for 2 insight from the little guys.

Can you ever buy chunks at a certain number of playthroughs?

Taking a break from BB now to avoid burnout so I can try my first runthrough of Demon's Souls - wow does it feel dated but can appreciate it as the prototype for the games to follow.

I did that too half way through my NG+ playthrough to revisit Dark Souls 1. My first thought when I fired it up was how choppy and crappy the graphics seemed! Then again, I played DS1 on PC and it was my first run through DS1 on the 360 (it was a free Gold game a number of months ago or so that i never touched). I thought I'd completely wreck everything too, as I had gone through the game at least 3 times back before DS2 came out. But it took a number of hours for me to relearn the finer mechanics differences to BB.

When I played Demon's Souls (after multiple playthroughs of DS1 and DS2), I had the same reaction that you did towards the game. When I beat it, I had zero urge for a second playthrough and still don't to this date.

Martyr Logarius and Ebrietas were the most difficult bosses for me. With Logarius, I lucked out and he ended up in a corner, and as a result, kept trying to hit me with melee attacks which I just parried and riposted.

Ebrietas just took a few times, but once I learned to stay back, get a couple hits, dodge dodge dodge, and repeat, she fell pretty easily too.

Yeah, I beat him on the 3rd try, but it was a struggle the whole time. My life was permanently low in that fight. That was one of those fights where I found 2-handing wasn't cutting it and I swapped to 1-handing the axe. Quick attacks would interrupt him more and the additional hits outweighed the slightly lessened damage. I think the cannon also hurt him pretty badly.

Do you guys level up player stats before weapons upgrades, or vice versa?

I did both more or less at the same time. Weapon upgrades don't use many blood echos, so unlike the Souls games you don't really have to choose.
My first goals for getting stronger were to try and get my main (STR, END, VIT) stats to 25. Along the way I'd buy items and whatnot, but I didn't really mess with my other stats until I had taken care of that. That was all the while I was powering up my Axe, Sword, and a couple different guns...that I rarely actually used.
The game seems to scale your upgrade options with the enemies you face. For instance, I could 1-hit just about every normal enemy with my Axe, and once I couldn't...then they started dropping the next type of upgrade (dual shards or chunks). That seemed intentional.

In the early game you will be much better served by pumping END and VIT and only getting enough offensive stats to use your weapons. Damage scaling due to stats on most weapons seems atrocious until you get them to +6 or so.

For example, my second run through was a Skill character. By the time I had raised VIT to 30 and END to about 20 I was in the Woods and could get my weapon up to +6. Afterwards I dumped my BE into SKL. This approach helps you not get one shot by those early bosses.

In the early game you will be much better served by pumping END and VIT and only getting enough offensive stats to use your weapons. Damage scaling due to stats on most weapons seems atrocious until you get them to +6 or so.

For example, my second run through was a Skill character. By the time I had raised VIT to 30 and END to about 20 I was in the Woods and could get my weapon up to +6. Afterwards I dumped my BE into SKL. This approach helps you not get one shot by those early bosses.

I did almost this. Pumped VIT and END to 30 and then pumped STR and SKL to 25.
STR and SKL to 25 maximizes the damage scaling for all weapons. Also, scaling drops for both stats after 25, so it's worth you more to NOT pump STR or SKL alone to 50, but to divide it between the 2 equally to 25 if you are going for maximum damage. Get both to 50 and you will be and absolute tank with any weapon. You can do 50 STR, 25 SKL, or vice versa if you want to favor one over the other and still max the dmg scaling.

My +10 Holy Sword does +599 scaling dmg. Total is 799 dmg. Breaks pots like nothing else...

Kinda stuck. Found this boss hanging from the ceiling. He won't come down. Can't lock on him or attack. If I get near him he wll pick me up with one of his hands and squeeze me to death. That's all that happens every time I try to engage him.

Kinda stuck. Found this boss hanging from the ceiling. He won't come down. Can't lock on him or attack. If I get near him he wll pick me up with one of his hands and squeeze me to death. That's all that happens every time I try to engage him.

That's a Giant Being, and he's not there to be engaged, but avoided (meaning.. It's not a boss fight at this point you're at... )

Those things are creepy as hell. . Later you'll see more of them. And their heads follow your movements as you walk past them, it's pretty eerie first time you look up and realize.

Last edited:
That's a Giant Being, and he's not there to be engaged, but avoided (meaning.. It's not a boss fight at this point you're at... )

Those things are creepy as hell. . Later you'll see more of them. And their heads follow your movements as you walk past them, it's pretty eerie first time you look up and realize.

Well am I suppose to get by the door leading out of there? When I try it's locked. I have been turning around and leaving, but I can't find any area I haven't been through.

Well am I suppose to get by the door leading out of there? When I try it's locked. I have been turning around and leaving, but I can't find any area I haven't been through.

Did you come in by going around the grand cathedral? If so, you're not supposed to go that way yet. You need to go towards the forbidden woods through the cathedral ward after fighting the boss in the cathedral. After you finish that series of events, you'll unlock that place.

Have you been to Hemwick yet? Instead of going left from the Vicar Amelia light(Which takes you to that Amygdala, that you are approaching too early to pass), go right. Also, there should be another path opened in western Cathedral Ward that will take you to the Forbidden Forest. Its west of the circle graveyard with the sleeping white church giants. That is probably where you should go next.

Did you come in by going around the grand cathedral? If so, you're not supposed to go that way yet. You need to go towards the forbidden woods through the cathedral ward after fighting the boss in the cathedral. After you finish that series of events, you'll unlock that place.

Right, I came by way of grand cathedral, down the steps, hung a left and down the rocky path to that Giant Being.

Have you been to Hemwick yet? Instead of going left from the Vicar Amelia light(Which takes you to that Amygdala, that you are approaching too early to pass), go right. Also, there should be another path opened in western Cathedral Ward that will take you to the Forbidden Forest. Its west of the circle graveyard with the sleeping white church giants. That is probably where you should go next.

I beat the Hemwick Witch, that's all I can tell ya. I am missing some way to progress, but I am having trouble finding how to get there, or where to find it. Should I head to the Hemwick Chanel lane lamp?

Okay I am back on track. I revisited the gate that required a password. For some reason this time I knew it and was able to pass.

lol!

Did you end up winning anyway?

yes...during my first run-through I lost a lot of souls because the bosses sort of snuck up on me and I wasn't prepared so I needed to summon help for some fights...my 2nd run I did the whole game with no summoning

I'm on that fight now. Dude is a real bitch because if you try to heal he teleports and interrupts you with perfect timing. I previewed the fight by joining someone else, who had already summoned a guy before me so there were 3 of us total and even then it was a decent fight and we beat him. Then I tried him solo and got wrecked. Its kind of a hassle to get back to him too

Logarius is the 2nd toughest boss for me (behind Shadow of Yharnam)...he likes to strike quickly and then dodge-step backwards out of the range of my swings...the key is to move forward when he flies in the air and you'll usually end up behind him when he lands...he's not that hard anymore but he can be a pain if you're not leveled up enough

I want to do an epic Dark Souls 1, DS2, Bloodborne back-to-back-to-back playthrough one day...but the next game I'm going to play is The Last of Us Remastered which came free with my PS4

Back