BLOODBORNE - Gamescom gameplay trailer

so the game just ends without warning like Dark Souls 1?...I like the Dark Souls 2 way of having to select NG+ from the Majula bonfire

I wouldn't say no warning. There is some very specific dialogue.... and "Fire", thats all ill say. But no, you don't select it, it just goes to NG+.

BTW: for those thinking of picking up a ps4, theres a $400 TLOU, $20 amazon GC, bloodborne pack right now

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4...20&ascsubtag=2b9a36f8169f4665944042fb394949d1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
is it me or is it hard to see where your blood stain is located...it's hard to find it...it looks like every other puddle on the map...it becomes an issue when fighting a boss...if you lose track of the stain then you risk losing your souls...they need to make it more clear (visible)
I am pretty sure it isn't there. Someone picks up your souls (a random NPC) and you have to kill the NPC to get it back. I don't know if bosses pick up the souls, but if there are any enemies nearby one of them has it and has glowing eyes. Kill that guy and you get the souls back, die before killing him and you lose them. I am not particularly liking that feature. I rage quit the game when I tried it 2 days ago cause I lost 3k souls cause I got careless when I found out I have to kill the first boss before I can level (another feature I am not too fond of). I haven't touched it since cause I am busy with Pillars of Eternity.

I am pretty sure it isn't there. Someone picks up your souls (a random NPC) and you have to kill the NPC to get it back. I don't know if bosses pick up the souls, but if there are any enemies nearby one of them has it and has glowing eyes. Kill that guy and you get the souls back, die before killing him and you lose them. I am not particularly liking that feature. I rage quit the game when I tried it 2 days ago cause I lost 3k souls cause I got careless when I found out I have to kill the first boss before I can level (another feature I am not too fond of). I haven't touched it since cause I am busy with Pillars of Eternity.

yup enemies can pick up your souls but in certain areas (the very first level for example) the blood stain blends into the environment and it's very difficult to find...I also hate that you have to kill the first boss before being allowed to level up...you don't have to kill him but just access the boss area but it's the same thing because if you don't kill the boss then your souls will be trapped in that room until you do

the level design is classic Miyazaki...everything is interconnected and weaves onto itself via shortcuts...I'm up to the 2nd boss (Father Gascoigne) and he's another fast mover which requires tons of dodging...feels easier then Cleric Beast...I hope all the bosses don't end up feeling the same...when you eliminate the shield you make every boss have to be fast DEX types as well otherwise the gameplay wouldn't fit

Downloaded the game from the PS4 store last evening. Having a time of it clearing my way to the second "bonfire" or whatever those are called in this game. Never did find it but died over and over looking. I don't think the game is harder than Dark Souls, at least so far. I found and beat that tall fat dude behind the stuff on my first try. If he was a red eyed knight from a Souls game that would never happen. Not to say the game is easy.

I do notice frame rate fluctuations, but nothing as bad as Dark Souls down in Blighttown. The Bloodborne loading screen is too long. If they can't shorten it up with a patch, at least give us something nice to look at.

The combat is a blast when you get better at it. I play with the ax and pistol. I love the way it changes into a 2 handed ax on the fly. I haven' t figured out a good defence since we have no shield. Side step and roll I guess.

I was cheap on the second boss. Ran around in a circle around some tombstones so he could never hit me.

There is no way I could sustain dodging all his attacks and lower his health enough while doing so. Some people are just very good at souls games. Maybe my reflexes just aren't quick enough?

Other than me just sucking at boss battles, I think I like this game better than Dark Souls, which I had a blast playing. The Victorian style environment is done so well. It's not as varied in terms of different environments (Castle, Forest, etc), but I feel they perfected it.

The combat is a blast when you get better at it. I play with the ax and pistol. I love the way it changes into a 2 handed ax on the fly. I haven' t figured out a good defence since we have no shield. Side step and roll I guess.

the combat is fantastic...so fast paced...took awhile to get comfortable wih it but now I'm loving it...I never even use the shotgun parry...I pretty much use the fast dodge.strafe moves exclusively when locked on to an enemy...can get frustrating sometimes when there are objects in the environment that block your movement...also the health regain move makes fighting enemies a bit too easy at times as the time limit to regain health seems pretty generous

And has anyone tried pvp yet? I'm having trouble finding players, but I'm not sure if it's because of my level. I am currently at level 14 after completing the first two bosses.

I think you have to have a certain number of Insight before you can PVP, but I could be wrong.

I really wish they would add some SMAA or FXAA to this damn game. I played 4-5 hours yesterday and then went out to the store and I swore I saw aliasing on every corner.

I think you have to have a certain number of Insight before you can PVP, but I could be wrong.

I really wish they would add some SMAA or FXAA to this damn game. I played 4-5 hours yesterday and then went out to the store and I swore I saw aliasing on every corner.

I think it would be better if they removed CA and fixed the frame pacing. The CA imo amplifies the jaggies.

WOW how cool, not sure how familiar everyone is with Epicnamebro but he wrote the Future Press Guide for Bloodborne! How cool is that? ENB is one of my favorite youtubers for game guides, he's entertaining, seems like a genuine guy and really has some good insight into the games.

WOW how cool, not sure how familiar everyone is with Epicnamebro but he wrote the Future Press Guide for Bloodborne! How cool is that? ENB is one of my favorite youtubers for game guides, he's entertaining, seems like a genuine guy and really has some good insight into the games.

If it wasn't for Epic's videos I don't know if I would have made it through Dark Souls. He showed it was actually possible to move through the game and have fun doing it.

If it wasn't for Epic's videos I don't know if I would have made it through Dark Souls. He showed it was actually possible to move through the game and have fun doing it.

That's funny you say that...I bought dark souls maybe a year ago? I played it for 3 or so hours and rage quit. I then watched Epic's videos over the next week and started again and have been horribly addicted ever since! He's a great great youtuber, and doesn't excellent guides.

Unseen village is my go to place to farm blood echoes. 3k Per pig? 560 per dog and 1600 per death bringer.

Not to mention you get like 5-10 twin blood shards per sweep and 40k.

lol man this one chalice dungeon...

i had to fight certain boss who has like double hp and double attack power compared to last encounter while being cursed to half hp
pretty much 1 shot by 90% of boss's move

So, as someone who is a sucker for almost any game that gets ridiculously good reviews as this one, but also as someone who just couldnt get into the Dark Souls games at all(nothing to do with difficulty, just didnt do it for me) would this still be recommended? Or a waste of $$. Just afraid, as with trying all prior Dark Soul related titles that I would play about 2 hours and just never come back. I also have a major mental block with Victorian stylized games/movies/art/etc.

It really depends on what you caused you to dislike the DS games. In my short play time with it (like 3 hours), I'd say with certain exceptions it really feels just like a DS game. Even the interface seems exactly the same, the controls, etc.. feel almost exact. So chances are you won't be able to get into this one either. You should probably rent it first if you have a place that rents console games near you.

So I think I am stuck. Just got to a place to the pathway right of Amelia Vicar boss fight. I go down the path get into a big room and a an enormous Skeleton(?) hand picks me up casts frenzy on me and holds me until I die. I go back into the room and it does this again with no way to dodge, etc.

Where/what am I supposed to do? I have already went the left path of Vicar and killed the Hemlick Witch and killed Vicar. Is this some area where I am just not suppose to be yet?

I don't really have anywhere else to go.

So I think I am stuck. Just got to a place to the pathway right of Amelia Vicar boss fight. I go down the path get into a big room and a an enormous Skeleton(?) hand picks me up casts frenzy on me and holds me until I die. I go back into the room and it does this again with no way to dodge, etc.

Where/what am I supposed to do? I have already went the left path of Vicar and killed the Hemlick Witch and killed Vicar. Is this some area where I am just not suppose to be yet?

I don't really have anywhere else to go.

you now should have password to forbidden woods
path to the entrance is at big open area with 2 giants with axe roaming

you now should have password to forbidden woods
path to the entrance is at big open area with 2 giants with axe roaming

Yeah and apparently according to this after killing Amelia Vicar I should be able to get the 'Tonsil Stone' from "any house with a lantern" and yet I don't.

Anyone else having this issue? According to some of the comments on that Wiki it can be bugged. Hmmm.

theres a way to dupe items (i.e get infinite blood echos/insight, or anything else) if you google bloodborne duping

theres a way to dupe items (i.e get infinite blood echos/insight, or anything else) if you google bloodborne duping

I'm pretty sure I will be making use of this for blood echoes... I don't have time to farm lol.

Been playing a lot this weekend. Have been clearing out the specters and giant specters in the graveyard, although there are a pair of hunters in the back/right that I've been struggling with. I can take one out just fine, but the second is giving me fits and I barely do any damage to him. He's the one who keeps shooting at me.
I find myself abusing the charge attack for the 2-handed axe a lot. The wide sweeping motion and knockdown at the end is almost too good. Plus, I rarely seem to use gunfire. It's good for stunning certain enemies, but I'm not sure about the risk/reward most of the time.

Exactly where am I supposed to go first - Old Yarnham or Hemwick Lane?

I picked up this game without playing any of the Dark Souls games and I don't get it. Is there any sort of story I'm supposed to have picked up on? Like where am I and why, what the fuck is my objective? I played about 3 hours and am still at the beginning of the game. Every time you die all the enemies respawn, you lose all your blood bux and you start back at the beginning. How is this supposed to be fun? Am I missing something???

The first area of the game is rough until you upgrade your weapon. I was getting my ass handed to me by anything more than 1 villager or dog at a time. Take blood shards to the workbench in hunters dream and get at least +1. Just with a +1 saw, I was capable of engaging the hooded brutes and brick giants. Felt like the weapons damage per combo doubled. Also, you can just run past many of the encounters. If you run to the first boss, even if he kills you, it will give you an insight point which opens up the way you cash blood bucks for more strength, endurance, skill points at hunters dream by the bath. By this point, the game should start clicking better. These games have always been rough going in the beginniing.

Always look for shortcuts you can open. A door or gate that can make retravelling an area faster.

As far as story and npcs, they are not like typical RPGs. Usually each area has only a few people to talk to. Knock on doors.

Last edited:
I picked up this game without playing any of the Dark Souls games and I don't get it. Is there any sort of story I'm supposed to have picked up on? Like where am I and why, what the fuck is my objective? I played about 3 hours and am still at the beginning of the game. Every time you die all the enemies respawn, you lose all your blood bux and you start back at the beginning. How is this supposed to be fun? Am I missing something???

It's supposed to be vague.

You wake up after a blood transfusion, and you're now a hunter of monsters that's all I know.

I was having a hell of a time until a buddy suggested you farm, but the first thing you need to do is make it to the sewer. Don't fight the 2 werewolves on the bridge go across then down. Go in there and kill everything, get the armor off the dead guy before jumping down. Make your way back up to the streets then go back to the hunters dream. You should have gotten the hing that allows the Doll to wake up and then you can start farming for levels that should get you going.

I am having a hell of a time with Vicar Amelia. I've done well a couple times...but then it keeps healing itself.The camera and all of the weird hair keeps screwing me up when I get close to it.
I got some help from other players once and once it got to about 1/8 in life, it just kept healing over and over again. Hitting it while it's healing doesn't seem to stop it or do enough damage either.
Is there some kind of trick to stop the healing process?

I am having a hell of a time with Vicar Amelia. I've done well a couple times...but then it keeps healing itself.The camera and all of the weird hair keeps screwing me up when I get close to it.
I got some help from other players once and once it got to about 1/8 in life, it just kept healing over and over again. Hitting it while it's healing doesn't seem to stop it or do enough damage either.
Is there some kind of trick to stop the healing process?

Not nuff dmg you can stun her if you do nuff

after you clear and area and die you don't have to kill all the enemies again and again (unless you want to for farming of health viles etc)...that would be tedious...just go back to your blood stain and collect your souls (echoes)...you need to open up shortcuts on the map and run through areas (without engaging any enemies in combat) to get to the next boss

the combat, atmosphere and level design are what makes the Souls so amazing

That's the nature of Souls games. They don't spoonfeed you like most games developed these days which seem to target 8-12 year olds. The story is there, the lore is there, you have to piece it together yourself while paying attention to the clues and NPC dialog along the way.

I had similar thoughts for the first hour or two playing the first Dark Souls, I thought it was all action and no story, and then slowly the patchwork of different clues started coming together. Now its one of the things I appreciate about this series and this director most.

As for enemies respawning, well that's the whole point -- if you could just mindlessly slash away, die, and then pick up right where you died, there would be no tension, no risk/reward, no need to weigh getting into an engagement versus backing off and taking another route because your health is too low or the enemies are too strong. You tend to put more thought in when there's risk of losing something. And a big subfunction of that repetition- having to clear the same area multiple times - is it makes you better for the harder enemies that come next.

Last edited:

- Farm early on. Farm. Farm. Throw all of your echoes into Vit and stamina until you get them to 25/25 then start throwing points into strength or skill. learn the basics for combat, I am sure there are YouTube videos.

- Early on there is some Hunter armor in the sewer that is probably the best attire in the game and it makes everything much easier -- especially the first boss fight.

- Ring the bell and bring someone in for help if you need it.

- UPGRADE your weapons. Can't stress this enough.

- Any enemy can be parried by shooting it during 'windup', even bosses.

- Learn the bosses attack patterns instead of just YOLOing it and it will make them much easier.

- Lock on with R3 and Dodge,dodge,dodge.

- Take it slow and enjoy the amazing atmosphere and combat -- this type of combat can only be found in Souls games, it is the main attraction of BB.

^ perfect, naticus. I would add, after you finish Bloodborne, go back and play Dark Souls 1 and 2. These are essential games. Especially now that PS4 is getting DS2 with all the DLC's in a few weeks, and it'll run at 1080p60.

Back