BLOODBORNE - Gamescom gameplay trailer

started a new playthrough last night to re-familiarize myself with the mechanics, controls etc...this game is the most punishing 'Souls' game in that it plays so differently from any of the previous Souls games and it takes me some time to re-familiarize myself with it...not having any shield and having to use that dodge/step-back move is really a major change that takes some getting used to

I was kicking ass 6 months ago but now I'm dying to Cleric Beast, Gascoigne and even regular enemies

Yea Bloodborne is much more aggressive with the combat than Souls. Except for dodging I see very little defense involved. I notice if I am wailing on enemies fast enough after they damage me, my health bar grows.

Yea Bloodborne is much more aggressive with the combat than Souls. Except for dodging I see very little defense involved. I notice if I am wailing on enemies fast enough after they damage me, my health bar grows.

with Bloodborne you can regain lost health by attacking back within a small window...not only are the enemies more aggressive but they want the player to be as well...the dodging thing is very strange because it's not precise so I end up just spamming the key and moving around all over without knowing where I'm moving to...so sometimes I get stuck in a corner or end up someplace I didn't want to go...the other thing that's annoying about enemies is that I can heavy attack an enemy in the face with my best weapon but they'll attack you back through the damage that you are giving them

You can take those guys out? I knew there was someone above me shooting fire balls, but I didn't know you could take them out, or that they healed the boss.

Far back of the room, on both sides, there are stairs. Go up one and just make your way all the way around to the other. Take them all out at once.

started a new playthrough with the latest patch a few days back...joined the new League covenant but I don't understand the new covenant...so all it does is replace the ringing of the small resonant bell?...so now if you want to assist someone it automatically searches for a host (if you're a member of the League)?

started a new playthrough with the latest patch a few days back...joined the new League covenant but I don't understand the new covenant...so all it does is replace the ringing of the small resonant bell?...so now if you want to assist someone it automatically searches for a host (if you're a member of the League)?

Their explanation is more complicated than it needs to be. Its basically 2 separate functions they added here when you join the League.

1. The old hunters NPC's
2. Chalice glyph simplification (public shared dungeons)

And I'm not sure that you even need to be in the League for #2. I think it's now a standard option when creating a new dungeon. You will notice the glyph code is now only 4 digits long, and it does not change when you make a new one, which means probably thousands of people using the same glyph. Which seems to be working very well, because I'm now BL 240 and I've been able to summon and be summoned quickly when making a new 'public shared dungeon'. Still trying to figure out if the way to join another player(than the one you just helped after you leave. I noticed I kept being sent to the same world until I made another dungeon) is to generate a new shared dungeon(which is the same layout anyway), but it was inconclusive. Either way the order here is, make new shared dungeon, join it, ring small resonant bell, connect with another leaguer.

The NPC's are like soap signs that you see in the "story mode chalice dungeons"(not root). Ex. Defiled Pthumeru Chalice Level 3 has one guy before the boss gate, and a dude named "Queen Killer" before Amygdala's boss door.

Their explanation is more complicated than it needs to be. Its basically 2 separate functions they added here when you join the League.

1. The old hunters NPC's
2. Chalice glyph simplification (public shared dungeons

I'm almost finished with my new playthrough and you don't need to belong to the League covenant in order to have access to the new NPC's- all you need for that is the new item called the 'Old Hunter Bell' which they give you at the very start of the game...I haven't tried out the new covenant yet but I'm guessing it's just an easier way to co-op without having to ring the bell each time

I'm almost finished with my new playthrough and you don't need to belong to the League covenant in order to have access to the new NPC's- all you need for that is the new item called the 'Old Hunter Bell' which they give you at the very start of the game...I haven't tried out the new covenant yet but I'm guessing it's just an easier way to co-op without having to ring the bell each time

Yeah, and it also looks like the League has nothing to do with the new glyph system. They just made Chalice co-oping super easy with the shared dungeon. Did a bit of that this afternoon, 4.5 hours left till the expansion. Gonna be a late one tonight...

apparently there was no preload for this dlc...
it told me game is ready to go and unlocks @ 9 pm pst
and now its downloading 9 gb patch....................

Edit: Fixed the fps issue and some others by restarting turning off the PS4.

Last edited:
reminder...Sony recommends a level of 65 for average players accessing the new areas in the DLC...for a NG+ playthrough you’re going to need a level of about 130 to cut it against these bosses, because they are some of the most difficult in the game

apparently there was no preload for this dlc...
it told me game is ready to go and unlocks @ 9 pm pst
and now its downloading 9 gb patch....................

The pre load was the 1.07 patch from last week.
You should use Rest Mode on your PS4.

reminder...Sony recommends a level of 65 for average players accessing the new areas in the DLC...for a NG+ playthrough you’re going to need a level of about 130 to cut it against these bosses, because they are some of the most difficult in the game

This add-on is super hard.
Hiding a Blood Starved Beast in a dark cave is sick. That guy is like a boss himself. That was unexpected. But I got the Beast Cutter for it.
Amygdalan Arm is my favorite new weapon, holy crap does R2 bring the pain and has mad reach.

finally finished my latest complete run through of the base Bloodborne game (didn't fight Gehrman or Moon Presence because I want to play the DLC first)...now on to the Old Hunters DLC!!!...looking forward to the challenge!

without giving away any spoilers at all, are the new bosses just re-mixed versions of bosses from the main game or are they completely new?...the DLC trailer showed a lot of current bosses but not sure if they were just showing a recap of the main game or if it was remixed bosses (like Smelter Demon from Dark Souls 2 DLC)

without giving away any spoilers at all, are the new bosses just re-mixed versions of bosses from the main game or are they completely new?...the DLC trailer showed a lot of current bosses but not sure if they were just showing a recap of the main game or if it was remixed bosses (like Smelter Demon from Dark Souls 2 DLC)

I ran into a "main game boss", in a non-boss situation(no life bar/music) in the first area. That was quite a surprise. The first boss is original. I beat him and thats as far as I got last night. So far, 'remixed bosses' aren't bosses at all, but lesser enemies. This DLC is HARD. I love it.

I ran into a "main game boss", in a non-boss situation(no life bar/music) in the first area. That was quite a surprise. The first boss is original. I beat him and thats as far as I got last night. So far, 'remixed bosses' aren't bosses at all, but lesser enemies. This DLC is HARD. I love it.

i finished dlc..and only one boss was remix with new mechanics

started up the DLC a few hours back...there's nothing like starting up a new Souls game, especially a Miyazaki game....the exploration, wonder, fear, exhilaration etc is like nothing else in gaming...coming directly from the base Bloodborne game I'm not finding the enemies too tough yet (Level 88 not NG+)...they're definitely a challenge and except for 1 or 2 new enemies who pack a punch I'm finding it fun and not crazy difficult (yet)

the lack of lamps is troublesome...I'm thinking I might have missed one but I like to take my time and explore everything so who knows...I did open up a shortcut so maybe that's supposed to take the place of a new lamp...haven't run into the 1st boss yet

There is music track that I heard on, I think, the first trailer for this game, waaaaaaaaay back before it was ever released.
I thought that track with for the final boss or something, incredibly epic, but I never found it in the main game and was disappointed.
Fast forward last night, the 2nd DLC boss. That's the track, there it is. That choir is awesome. How did this track end up on the cutting floor only to find its way back in the DLC?

Man, I have good memory...

EDIT: Here it is, the 3 minute mark is when the choir kicks in, glorious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_8t5ay0-YU

Last edited:
I'm up to the 3rd boss...I wish From Software would not place bosses back-to-back like they did with Dark Souls 2 DLC (Elana then Sinh the dragon)...I like to explore an area and then have a boss at the end...putting them back-to-back doesn't feel right...1st boss was fun and challenging because he's so aggressive...took me about 7 tries to kill him, all during his 1st phase...once he transformed I took him out the first time....2nd boss was tougher then it should have been as those meteors shooting from the sky kept killing me...I keep getting Boss 3 down to around 20% left of health but her 3rd phase is tough and I keep running out of health vials

Son is playing DLC new game plus 5 he's really good but needs help on the living failures if you wanna play or help message MrBenchmark on PSN.

the DLC added a shield which is actually somewhat useful (Loch Shield)...tried using it but I've gotten so accustomed to not using it that it feels weird...the shield is effective though but changes the mechanics of the game too much for me

Praise the Sun I finally beat Lady Maria...it was literally the first time in the entire game (including the base game) that I've used a gun for parrying...never liked the new parry-with-guns mechanic in the game and never needed to use it, until now

defeated all 5 bosses in the DLC solo with no help!...victory!...I played in regular NG so I can only imagine the difficulty in NG+ and higher...I'm sure there are some things I missed as far as items and secrets so time to read a walkthrough...I know those brain fluid things meant something but I never found out what it was

Last edited:
Finished the DLC on my lvl 90 NG+ char. Upgraded the whirligig saw to +10 + beast pellets and hold L2 and I melted the bosses. Pretty decent DLC for the most part. Took me about 5hours to do everything. I actually might do a PT with the whirligig or beast cutter. The new weapons are def the best in the game now.

Finished the DLC on my lvl 90 NG+ char. Upgraded the whirligig saw to +10 + beast pellets and hold L2 and I melted the bosses. Pretty decent DLC for the most part. Took me about 5hours to do everything. I actually might do a PT with the whirligig or beast cutter. The new weapons are def the best in the game now.

5 hours?...took me double or triple the length...unless you know exactly where to go/are following a walkthrough and beat every boss on the 1st try I can't see people finishing in 5 hours...I used my trusty Ludwig's Holy Blade +10 for the entire DLC but I heard the Whirligig Saw was pretty sweet along with a few other weapons (Holy Moonlight Sword etc)

as a general note, hopefully most (all) Souls fans are playing the game with no walkthrough (on the 1st run) and are not using summoning help...the game is so much more rewarding like this...playing on NG++ and higher I can understand co-op/summoning

Yeah took me about 5 hours. It's not a very big DLC. I don't summon. I also keep my chars at 90. I also did about 30 mins of PVP with the whirligig but PVP is still ass in BB so it's not really worth the time.

The only boss that took me more than two tries was the final one. His 3-hit combo 3rd strike has a auto-aim/hit that is almost impossible to not be hit by.

But using beast pellets and Whirligig I was hitting for a couple thousand per hit when I get ramped up.

The only boss that took me more than two tries was the final one. His 3-hit combo 3rd strike has a auto-aim/hit that is almost impossible to not be hit by

you must be a bad-ass player to kill all these bosses so easily

Yeah took me about 5 hours. It's not a very big DLC. I don't summon. I also keep my chars at 90. I also did about 30 mins of PVP with the whirligig but PVP is still ass in BB so it's not really worth the time.

The only boss that took me more than two tries was the final one. His 3-hit combo 3rd strike has a auto-aim/hit that is almost impossible to not be hit by.

But using beast pellets and Whirligig I was hitting for a couple thousand per hit when I get ramped up.

only boss i had trouble with was laurence
final one was easy for me

only boss i had trouble with was laurence
final one was easy for me

yeah it took me two tries to get ludwig down. Maria, the alien ones and fire cleric were super easy. The harder boss for me was kos. I don't use lock on for the bosses so it makes it much easier for the most part but kos has some weird camera issues and his lock on/targeting is pretty insane. It didn't help that he two hits me when my beast form is at max.

now everyone's going to post how easy the game and DLC were...I don't buy it...I want to see some videos of all these people claiming they beat every boss easily on the 1st try with no summoning help and no cheat exploits...prove it...I believe people can do it but not the vast majority...I'm half kidding :D

now everyone's going to post how easy the game and DLC were...I don't buy it...I want to see some videos of all these people claiming they beat every boss easily on the 1st try with no summoning help...prove it...I'm half kidding :D
:D
iiBb.png

now everyone's going to post how easy the game and DLC were...I don't buy it...I want to see some videos of all these people claiming they beat every boss easily on the 1st try with no summoning help and no cheat exploits...prove it...I believe people can do it but not the vast majority...I'm half kidding :D

people who are on NG+ cap (7 or more runs) are finding it hard but as i mentioned earlier
character i played DLC with was only on NG+ (2nd run) so it was relatively easy

people who are on NG+ cap (7 or more runs) are finding it hard but as i mentioned earlier
character i played DLC with was only on NG+ (2nd run) so it was relatively easy

Yeah I imagine it would be a breeze for ppl that don't stop leveling at 90 (the pvp meta). Ng+ @90 was pretty easy for the most part. I think the hardest enemy in the entire DLC were those big ass guys in the water section that dive and swing in all directions. They are harder than any of the bosses. And they can't be parried.

I got Lady Maria on the first try NG+
I have every health rune on, but still, she surprised me at first. Had no idea there was a boss past that door.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzWq-I3BeX4&list=PLBOsAqVT1JMTRqIad2DSq33H5kW2pAvyu

I almost beat 4 out of the 5 bosses on my 1st try...I had them...but then my next few attempts I did worse...so in the end it took me multiple tries for each boss with Laurence being the toughest...took me about 10-12 tries with him because of his 2nd phase attacks

From Software is a prime example of DLC done right...too many times it feels like developers are holding back content that should exist in the actual game in the hopes of selling it later to squeeze more money out of its die hard fan base...but DLC is not always inherently evil, and if done respectfully, can be a great way to extend the life of a game and reignite interest...From Software is the one developer that seems to understand this, as their downloadable expansions for both Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 remain as some of the most beloved examples of DLC done right and now you can add Bloodborne's Old Hunters DLC to that list

Back