BLOODBORNE - Gamescom gameplay trailer

While the areas after Rom (Unseen Village & Chapel) are probably the game's most difficult, I think the bosses are downhill from there. The posse of hunters in the chapel is probably the hardest thing you have left in the game as long as you keep leveling up normally. Some of the chalice dungeons are crazy hard, but they're all optional.

Does killing the ladies with the summoning bell keep these enemies from respawning? I have resorted to running past all I can, just looking for a path to progress.

Does killing the ladies with the summoning bell keep these enemies from respawning? I have resorted to running past all I can, just looking for a path to progress.

Yes, but they will respawn if you die/mark/return to the dream.

There are two kinds of bell ringers in the later areas. The typical ones respawn every time you enter/leave their zone. They're all over the Unseen areas.
There's also a second type that when you kill they don't ever respawn. Instead of summoning enemies, they summon other players to attack you. You'll know one is around when the game gives you a message about a "sinister bell ringer."

I mysteriously hit the burnout phase when I didn't kill the Shadow of Yarnham on the first try. No clue why, but that was 2 weeks ago and I haven't touched the game since.
Fixing the frame pacing might win me back, though. At least then I could turn on interpolation and enjoy the game at 60fps.

Patch info

-Password matching can now be done regardless of level.
-Password matching can now be done even if registered to a different oath.
-Quicksilver bullets and blood vials can now be stored up to 600 (the previous limit was 99) in the storage in Hunter’s Dream.
-Weapons and hunter tools have been tweaked, it will be mostly buffs.
-A bug of the Rifle Spear has been fixed.
-A bug with Blood Gem Imprints has been fixed.
-Boss rewards in the Chalice Dungeons will be improved, they will now drop blood gems randomly.
-Chalice dungeons will now include Blood Stone Shards at Depth 1, Twin Blood Stone Shards at Depth 2, Twin Blood Stone Shards and Blood Stone Chunks at Depth 3, Blood Stone Chunks at Depth 4 and Blood Stone Chunks and Blood Rocks at Depth 5.
-Other bugs have been fixed.

Rocks and chunks in more chalices, oh yeah!@

Patch info

-Quicksilver bullets and blood vials can now be stored up to 600 (the previous limit was 99) in the storage in Hunter’s Dream

I guess they don't want people to waste time farming anymore...600 is a bit much but I guess I understand what they are trying to do

-Password matching can now be done regardless of level.
-Password matching can now be done even if registered to a different oath.
Wow, so you can co-op with a friend at any level now? I thought they wanted to move away from that sort of thing, at least thats how they went at it in Dark Souls.

-Other bugs have been fixed.
Please be the stupid frame timing issue... Irritating that they ignore the big bugs and go after stuff no one is complaining about. Tweaks are great and all, but the game needs to be fixed first. I really do think From doesn't listen to their foreign customers, how else would the weapon degrade issue go on until the next JP release(PS4 DS2), for them to acknowledge the problem that was there for more than a year. This better not go on and on like that...

Not many people are complaining about frame timing.

Nonsense. There are articles about it on a few review sites(some waiting for a fix so they can update said articles), not just people talking about it on forums. Just like the weapon degrade to many DS2 players, but this issue has had more exposure over that. Guess we will find out come monday... but I'm not holding my breath after seeing those notes.

Nice patch info. I need Chunks and Rocks. I started one chalice dungeon and wasn't impressed so I stopped at level 3 and went back to the game, then Witcher 3 came and haven't gone back yet to finish the game yet. ;) I am near the end I think (Nightmare Mensis), but now I think I'll go back to the chalice dungeon so I can farm for Chunks and Rocks. I have 2 Ludwig Swords, one physical damage main (450+ dmg at +9) , and one bolt only arcane (about 200+ bolt at +6). It's better than using Tonitrus IMHO cause of durability. I need to find some + Physical dmg gems to help complement it though.

what exactly is frame timing?...how would I notice it?...stuttering?...I played the game multiple times just fine...maybe I'm just not sensitive to the issue

what exactly is frame timing?...how would I notice it?...stuttering?...I played the game multiple times just fine...maybe I'm just not sensitive to the issue

"Though its 30fps average is technically correct, Bloodborne often produces two unique frames followed by two duplicates – rather than one after another – creating a perception of frame-rate drops throughout. It’s not smooth in motion at all as a result, and frame-time updates swing erratically between 16ms and 66ms – and sometimes higher. It’s an unfortunate oversight by From Software. However, we have seen both Bungie [with Destiny] and EA Gothenburg [with Need for Speed: Rivals] react to the issue in each case, correcting their games soon after launch. We hope this will be the case for Bloodborne as well."

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/03/24/bloodborne-ps4-frame-pacing-issues-create-a-perception-of-frame-rate-drops-says-performance-analysis/

"Though its 30fps average is technically correct, Bloodborne often produces two unique frames followed by two duplicates – rather than one after another – creating a perception of frame-rate drops throughout. It’s not smooth in motion at all as a result, and frame-time updates swing erratically between 16ms and 66ms – and sometimes higher. It’s an unfortunate oversight by From Software. However, we have seen both Bungie [with Destiny] and EA Gothenburg [with Need for Speed: Rivals] react to the issue in each case, correcting their games soon after launch. We hope this will be the case for Bloodborne as well."

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...f-frame-rate-drops-says-performance-analysis/

so it's only a perception of frame rate drops and not actual drops?...I think I understand what it is now and it's definitely there when playing the game but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the game at all...or maybe I just got used to it...I can adapt to things like this quickly

Last edited:
that's good to know...too bad it sounds like it won't be released for awhile...end of year?

Well maybe these companies are finally wising up about announcing DLC too soon after launch. Were they to announce anything now, the internet gaming mob would start forming foam at the corners of their mouths screaming that it MUST have been cut content held back for DLC and #TheyLied and all the usual bullshit.

Fortunately FROM has an excellent track record when it comes to delivering value in their DLC so I have no doubt it'll be great.

DLC timing is tricky. If you offer it too soon, people feel like it should have been in the main game.
If you wait too long, people have moved on and won't care.

Change log:
By using password matching, you can now be matched regardless of level difference, and even with a hostile oath.
Conditions for the appearance of the insight store changed: it will appear when the player has one or more insight instead of 10 (Once unlocked, it will now remain unlocked for the rest of the game, even if you have zero insight).
Added a “blood chunk” item to the insight store (it will appear after playing the game up to a point). It costs 30 Insight.
Up to 600 Blood vials and quicksilver bullets can now be stored in the storage.
Adjusted the strength of some enemies in some areas in new game plus.
Adjusted the resistance and vulnerability of some enemies to bolt and arcane attacks.
Changes made to how Beasthood accumulates. This increases duration and attack improvement by beasts.
Adjusted the effect of Beast Blood Pellet item.
Fixed a bug of the attack force of the Rifle Spear. In particular, it was fixed a problem with the use of Blood Gems.
Reduced the stamina use of the Kirkhammer.
Reduced the stamina use of the Logarius’ Wheel.
Increased the duration of Old Hunter Bone and reduced the use of Quicksilver Bullets (reduced from 5 to 4).
Increased the duration of the effect of Tiny Tonitrus. Increased attack force. Attack force with low arcane will be higher.
Increased the duration of the effect of Augur of Ebrietas. Attack force with low arcane will be higher.
Reduced the Quicksilver Bullet cost for use of A Call Beyond (reduced from 8 to 7).
Reduced the Quicksilver Bullet cost for use of Choir Bell (reduced from 8 to 7).
Added Short Ritual Root Chalice to the insight store after completing the Pthumeru Chalice dungeon. It costs 10 Insight.
It’s possible to take advantage of the Short Ritual Root Chalice from an earlier stage of the game.
Added a random rewards when killing a Chalice dungeon boss. They will now drop a random Blood Gem in addition to weapon enhancement materials.
Different depths of Chalice Dungeons will now drop different Blood Stones
Depth 1: Blood Stone Shard
Depth 2: Twin Blood Stone Shard
Depth 3: Twin Blood Stone Shard and Blood Stone Chunk (Rare)
Depth 4: Blood Stone Chunk
Depth 5: Blood Stone Chunk and Blood Rock (Rare)
Increased the level of Blood Gems available in Depth 1-3 Dungeons.
Increased the amount of Blood Echoes dropped in Chalice Dungeons.
Co-op partners joining a cursed dungeon will only see their HP reduced by 50%, and not by 65% as before.
When starting co-op in a chalice dungeon, you will now spawn in the lamp room.
Weapons with special names like “uncanny” and so forth can now be purchased from the Bath Messengers once found.
Adjusted the brightness of the screen when finding a pool of Blood Echoes on the ground.
Corrected the bug that disconnect you from online mode when in stand-by.
Corrected a bug that caused enemies not to be displayed correctly for co-op guests when moving fast.
Further tweaks and bug fixes.

is it me or is it hard to see where your blood stain is located...it's hard to find it...it looks like every other puddle on the map...it becomes an issue when fighting a boss...if you lose track of the stain then you risk losing your souls...they need to make it more clear (visible)

Change log:
Adjusted the brightness of the screen when finding a pool of Blood Echoes on the ground

I'm glad they fixed this...in certain spots your blood echo is hard to locate

Change log:

-Conditions for the appearance of the insight store changed: it will appear when the player has one or more insight instead of 10 (Once unlocked, it will now remain unlocked for the rest of the game, even if you have zero insight).

-Up to 600 Blood vials and quicksilver bullets can now be stored in the storage

I'm disappointed that From Software seems to be dumbing down the game...changing the requirements for the Insight Store and increasing the max blood vial/bullet storage only serves to make the game easier

I'm disappointed that From Software seems to be dumbing down the game...changing the requirements for the Insight Store and increasing the max blood vial/bullet storage only serves to make the game easier

I don't see how that makes the game any easier, you can still only carry 10 vials and 20 bullets at most. It's not like they allowed you access your storage anywhere you want. It just saves people some time farming. I know I probably left on the ground more than 400 vials and bullets as I went through most of the game cause my inventory was full.

Added a “blood chunk” item to the insight store (it will appear after playing the game up to a point). It costs 30 Insight.
All I can say is ouch...that is dam expensive.

IMO, the vials/bullets thing really just cuts down on tedium. It doesn't change how many you can carry, but it just allows you to hold more so you don't have to go grinding as often. In some areas like the woods, nearly every enemy drops something. If your stocks are full, it's just a waste.

Personally, I kinda wish they got rid of the stock limits for bullets and vials to begin with. Keep the limits for carrying them, but refresh your supplies after every death or lamp. Right now they're a needless grind. They aren't hard or rewarding to get (or buy) - they're literally there just to take up time.

Nice changelog. Didn't manage to finish BB before GTA5 came out, and now with as fantastic as Witcher 3 is proving to be (RPG of the decade really) and the weeks it'll take to finish, BB is going to have to be on hold for a while but I look forward to coming back and finishing.

BB + GTA5 + W3 = lethal combo for not getting anything done. Seriously, too many good games dropped on us all at once.

I don't see how that makes the game any easier, you can still only carry 10 vials and 20 bullets at most. It's not like they allowed you access your storage anywhere you want. It just saves people some time farming. I know I probably left on the ground more than 400 vials and bullets as I went through most of the game cause my inventory was full

cutting down on farming is a way of making it more 'accessible' to players in my opinion...yes it makes it less tedious but that was part of the challenge of Bloodborne...and increasing the blood vial storage does change how many you can carry because unlike other inventory items you don't need to go back to the Hunter's Dream to restock them from your Storage- they automatically refill each time until they run out

They lowered the invincivility frames on dash and dodge it seems. Also the frame-pacing seems to be worse than before.

From needs to really hire some new staff. This game plays like it's 15fps now. How are they so incompetent, technically speaking?

I got lucky and Amazon said they would let me return my copy even though it was opened. I only had the game 2 weeks.

At any rate, I just couldn't stomach the performance of this game. Loved Demon's and Dark Souls but don't remember them having any glaring performance issues other than Tinsel Town... i mean Blight Town.

Ah well, good riddance for now.

I got lucky and Amazon said they would let me return my copy even though it was opened. I only had the game 2 weeks.

At any rate, I just couldn't stomach the performance of this game. Loved Demon's and Dark Souls but don't remember them having any glaring performance issues other than Tinsel Town... i mean Blight Town.

? The 360/ps3 versions of demon's and dark souls ran like a hot mess compared to this.

? The 360/ps3 versions of demon's and dark souls ran like a hot mess compared to this.

My first foray into the souls series was with DS1 on the PC. Afterwards when I played DS2 on the 360, I did notice that the fps was a bit worse, but certainly didn't take away from my experience. It wasn't until I tried out my free copy of Dark Souls 1 on the 360 that I realized just how how bad it ran. Probably just as bad as Demon's Souls on the ps3.

lol wut.......................................................................

will From Software ever develop a game completely different from the Souls series?...I want to see them tackle an open world RPG

will From Software ever develop a game completely different from the Souls series?...I want to see them tackle an open world RPG

You know I am not sure they can do anything but Souls rehashes. They sure caught lightning in a bottle though. But they remind me a lot of Bungie -- and look what happened when they deviated slightly from their Halo formula ... we got the shitshow that is Destiny.

Some companies just have to stick with what they know.

You know I am not sure they can do anything but Souls rehashes.

Armored Core says Hi!
Like, 4 times. And Miyazaki was quoted last year saying something to the effect that he would like to direct a new one.

But they are obviously making mad money on the souls formula, so we are either going to get a AC/Souls hybrid(if they go the AC route), or just another souls-esque game(The next Tenchu? Nah, probably Dark Souls 3).

But they are obviously making mad money on the souls formula, so we are either going to get a AC/Souls hybrid(if they go the AC route), or just another souls-esque game(The next Tenchu? Nah, probably Dark Souls 3).

an Assassin's Creed/Dark Souls hybrid!!..count me in!! :D

I'm kidding, I know he was referring to Armored Core

Back