BLOODBORNE - Gamescom gameplay trailer

What is with the machine gun sniper in Old Yharnam? And then after dodging that nonsense I run into this invincible hunter. So I roll around trying to dodge machine gun fire taking swipes at this guy who shows no damage to his health bar no matter how much I hit him.
Finally after several attempts I decided to run past the whole mess into a new section. Slaughtered a few creatures, explored around and located a short cut back to the lamp. Sweet! Lots of echoes for killing stuff so I grinded out two levels. Found a boss in a broken down church but he beat me. I wanna find that machine gun sniper and beat the piss outta him.

What is with the machine gun sniper in Old Yharnam? And then after dodging that nonsense I run into this invincible hunter. So I roll around trying to dodge machine gun fire taking swipes at this guy who shows no damage to his health bar no matter how much I hit him.
Finally after several attempts I decided to run past the whole mess into a new section. Slaughtered a few creatures, explored around and located a short cut back to the lamp. Sweet! Lots of echoes for killing stuff so I grinded out two levels. Found a boss in a broken down church but he beat me. I wanna find that machine gun sniper and beat the piss outta him.

you can make the machine gun sniper in the tower non-hostile as well if you do things in a certain way

There's a ladder that you literally ran past that takes you right to him

Just go left once you go down the stairs (instead of going right, toward the other hunter guy on the ground), ladder right on the side of the building there.

He is tough though.

Since I found the short cut I never went back over that way. Not only sniper fire and the hunter, but birds and furry goons all on me at once! It was way worse than any boss fight thus far. Seriously that hunter seemed invincible to my Ax attacks. I was even using it with fire paper on it. I am sure I hit him a few times, but his life bar showed no damage.

No one is invincible in the game. I've killed the guy you say is invincible. Just kill the sniper guy first and then face the hunter.

Early in the game those hunters are freakishly hard. The charge attack (hold R2) near an obstacle is a good approach. In fact, that works with most enemies. They tend to be vulnerable when going around things and your spinning axe will actually hit them through many objects. Then there's the way the game probably intended you to do it :p - shoot them when they swing to interrupt them. You can sometimes get a viceral attack afterwards. You can also dodge 2-3 times to the side and follow with a 3-hit normal attack combo of your own. Remember to dodge a little bit toward them each time as forward rolls have a little bit of invincibility while other ones don't.

If you rush him, you can hit him off the tower.
Then reload your game to find his drops where he spawned

You can do what I did and climb to the top of the ladder (but don't get off of it). The machine gunner will casually walk towards you right off of the ledge to his death. Funniest moment in the game so far. :D

I was mega disappointed when I found out that you couldn't use the machine gun to kill the other hunter. So lame.

finished my 2nd playthrough...found all the secret areas, joined all the covenants, did all the side quests- Eileen the Crow, Voila, Gilbert, Alfred, Arianna, Adella etc...got all of the Trophies except for 1 (need to play the game a 3rd time to get all 3 endings)...did all of the Chalice Dungeons except for the Root ones...got the 'real' ending where you fight the Moon Presence...a fantastic game...just as brilliant and deep as Dark Souls

I don't like the pvp as much as the other Souls games...there doesn't seem to enough variety in the weapons/armor to make it as fun...everyone is doing the same dodge move all the time which gets old fast

How do you guys all rank this game in comparison to the DS games?

I would say DS2>DS1>Bloodborne>DeS

Finished the game yesterday (level 88 and about 17 hours) and it felt very anti-climactic. Maybe this had to do with the fact that I didn't discover every area and boss and so probably didn't get a good ending. Feels like there's so much more to the game than I experienced. Whereas with Dark Souls 1 and 2, I spent 60 hours on each of my first playthroughs. Those felt so much more epic.

I think each one is “the best” in its own way.
DS1 had the best level design and the most variety to your upgrade path.
DS2 is just plain gigantic and epic…but had stretches where it felt uninspired and disconnected.
Bloodborne is back to having great level design but is needlessly grindy (by limiting your health flasks & bullets) and it has minimal variety with character builds.

Bloodborne has the best enemy/boss design bar none...not just the graphical detail but the art style...some of those bosses looked incredible and I'm shocked they were able to pull it off on a PS4...the Blood-Starved Beast's look and movement were stunning...game-changing computer generated imagery...sort of like when Terminator 2 introduced the liquid metal shapeshifting T-1000

even bosses like Cleric Beast, Darkbeast Paarl and Vicar Amelia had stunning detail...the cloth physics, lighting and textures were amazing

Finished the game yesterday (level 88 and about 17 hours)

Level 88 and 17 hours how???

I think I'm over 17 hours in and I only just beat the beef curtains boss. With all the exploration and grinding and the "You Died" screens, it seems impossible to beat in 17 hours.

Bloodborne is back to having great level design but is needlessly grindy (by limiting your health flasks & bullets) and it has minimal variety with character builds.

instead of grinding the best way to do it is just to buy 99 Blood Vials or bullets from the Messenger Shop in Hunter's Dream...they are cheap and is much less of a grind then having to warp back to an area and kill a bunch of enemies...what I did towards the end was I would go back to one of the Layer 3 or 4 chalice dungeons where you could easily get 100,000+ echoes for killing just a few enemies...seriously one low level enemy dropped 25,000 echoes...then buy 99 blood vials (which I think cost only 760 echoes each)

Early in the game those hunters are freakishly hard. The charge attack (hold R2) near an obstacle is a good approach. In fact, that works with most enemies. They tend to be vulnerable when going around things and your spinning axe will actually hit them through many objects. Then there's the way the game probably intended you to do it :p - shoot them when they swing to interrupt them. You can sometimes get a viceral attack afterwards. You can also dodge 2-3 times to the side and follow with a 3-hit normal attack combo of your own. Remember to dodge a little bit toward them each time as forward rolls have a little bit of invincibility while other ones don't.

Shoot them when they swing! I never have timed it right before and thought all the gun did was stun. Okay now I get it, I'll use the gun more now :cool:

I've got 70 Blood Stone Shards. I need Twin Blood Stone Shards to further upgrade my Ax. Is there a way to combine Blood Stone Shards into Twin Blood Stone Shards?

I think each one is “the best” in its own way.
DS1 had the best level design and the most variety to your upgrade path.
DS2 is just plain gigantic and epic…but had stretches where it felt uninspired and disconnected.

The limitation on blood vials and bullets actually make sense though, and I appreciate that design decision. It makes you have to actually risk-analyze whether to proceed or turn back. If you could just load up 99 of each and chug vials through entire levels, it would neuter the game's signature gameplay. Any sense of risk and dread would be gone, just spam EZHEALTH button to win. Would ruin the game like a trainer, would turn it into more of a mindless button masher.

I even think the 20 limit is more than it should be, as I find it a little spammy. Especially when coming from the estus flask system in Souls which took a long time to upgrade before you could carry a decent number. For me there's nothing like going into a fight low on health and vials and flying by the seat of your pants, and the "holy shit that was close" sense of accomplishment when you end up beating the thing.

I do kinda miss Dark Souls' variety in weapons and armor however, but hasn't stopped me from enjoying the game.

Last edited:
How do you guys all rank this game in comparison to the DS games?

I would say DS2>DS1>Bloodborne>DeS

Finished the game yesterday (level 88 and about 17 hours) and it felt very anti-climactic. Maybe this had to do with the fact that I didn't discover every area and boss and so probably didn't get a good ending. Feels like there's so much more to the game than I experienced. Whereas with Dark Souls 1 and 2, I spent 60 hours on each of my first playthroughs. Those felt so much more epic.

17 hours and level 88? That's pretty impressive. I don't think I was near level 88 at 17 hours in.

The limitation on blood vials and bullets actually make sense though, and I appreciate that design decision. It makes you have to actually risk-analyze whether to proceed or turn back. If you could just load up 99 of each and chug vials through entire levels, it would neuter the game's signature gameplay. Any sense of risk and dread would be gone, just spam EZHEALTH button to win. Would ruin the game like a trainer, would turn it into more of a mindless button masher

you can still have a near constant supply of 99 blood vials...they are so cheap in the Messenger store that's it's easy to load up on them...maybe not in the beginning of the game because you want to use your echoes to level up but towards the middle and definitely at the end it was easy to do

17 hours and level 88? That's pretty impressive. I don't think I was near level 88 at 17 hours in.

you can do that in your 2nd or 3rd playthrough when you know exactly where to go and what to do...you can actually skip a lot of bosses as well...there are only like 9 mandatory bosses in the game

In your guys' opinions, how difficult is this, in comparison to DS2?

I lack patience... in all facets of life, so DS2 and me didn't get along. It seems like this would be a bit more forgiving with the health regen, pebble, and interrupt mechanics. Is that the case?

Last edited:
Feels about the same as DS2 to me, though a bit faster with less class types since it is all melee based. It'll probably feel a little more different if you played mage characters in DS2. But you can't count on the health regen that much. If you rush using it, it just ends up killing you and it can't be used to heal back what was permanently lost after a few seconds. The interrupt mechanics requires some time to get use to also and learning it will take many deaths especially with things you haven't met before.

The one thing you need with these From games is patience and calm. If you don't have that these games get real hard and frustrating. I personally still lose patience and calm especially with bosses and once I hit that point I have to quit or it's just a futile constant stream of deaths which exasperates the problem. ;)

In your guys' opinions, how difficult is this, in comparison to DS2?

I lack patience... in all facets of life, so DS2 and me didn't get along. It seems like this would be a bit more forgiving with the health regen, pebble, and interrupt mechanics. Is that the case?

it has a higher learning curve then the previous 2 Souls games...also has the toughest early bosses...the combat being so fast paced takes some getting used to...there's no shield mechanic so that was the biggest adjustment for me...once you get the basics down then the game becomes easier

I also find that the game is unforgiving when it comes to losing echoes (souls)...you really need to manage them well throughout the game in terms of leveling up otherwise the bosses become a lot harder...it's almost like you can't lose any at all because you need to pump them all into your stats otherwise the later bosses become much harder then they need to be (Logarius, Darkbeast Paarl, Rom)

Level 88 and 17 hours how???

I think I'm over 17 hours in and I only just beat the beef curtains boss. With all the exploration and grinding and the "You Died" screens, it seems impossible to beat in 17 hours.

17 hours was a guesstimate btw. I got the game on a Thursday, played it 3 hours the first day, then 3 hours the second. Went on vacation From Saturday of one week to Sunday of the following week. Then came back and beat it after four nights of play in a row.

Is there a way to check your actual playtime with the ps4? With DS1 and DS2 it was always very easy to see what your played time was.

I felt that having played through all the previous souls games allowed me to cheese through certain areas. Instead of painstakingly fighting through every single area, dying dozens of time int he process of learning the area, I would use up all my echoes and then do suicide runs in certain areas to see what lies ahead.

Since finishing the game, I've put in another 8 hours into NG+. I was flying throught he first part but now I've kinda hit a wall. Things seem different than they were in NG. Seems like there are different enemies that weren't there before. I haven't looked up a guide yet but I probably will soon so that I don't miss my chance at the things I need to do to get the "good" ending to the game.

EDIT: Just found that you can find time played by hitting load game. I'm at 33 hours so I think I was way off in my 17 hours estimate. I did leave it on AFK for quite a bit though, so it's somewhere between 17 hours and 25 hours. Level 106. I put in about 1 hour of chalice dungeons in my first playthrough and about 3 hours in NG+

Last edited:
Won the game this evening. Definitely a fun one and a worthy Souls spin off.
IMO, the difficulty is much higher early in the game. The later bosses were fairly easy. You usually just roll toward them and slash away from the side or behind. In fact the later levels weren't all that bad, but more annoying than anything else. Lots of bell ringers and dealing with enemies causing issues from afar. By the halfway point you start to get the picture with the various paths leading to an elevator which will eventually be a shortcut to the bosses. I stuck it out with the Axe and I don't regret it at all. For the guns, Evelyn was a good one since it was quick. I ended up going 7-1 vs. invaders just using basic roll dodging and axe slashes.

With GTA5 finally here and the Witcher 3 on the way, I probably won't mess with NG+. I got all of the weapons (with the last one being 30 seconds into NG+) and did everything but the umbilical stuff. Unlike Dark Souls, I don't really fell the desire to keep going as I've already retraced all of these areas to death. In 6 months I'm sure I'll be ready for more.

Won the game this evening. Definitely a fun one and a worthy Souls spin off.
IMO, the difficulty is much higher early in the game. The later bosses were fairly easy. You usually just roll toward them and slash away from the side or behind. In fact the later levels weren't all that bad, but more annoying than anything else. Lots of bell ringers and dealing with enemies causing issues from afar. By the halfway point you start to get the picture with the various paths leading to an elevator which will eventually be a shortcut to the bosses. I stuck it out with the Axe and I don't regret it at all. For the guns, Evelyn was a good one since it was quick. I ended up going 7-1 vs. invaders just using basic roll dodging and axe slashes.

With GTA5 finally here and the Witcher 3 on the way, I probably won't mess with NG+. I got all of the weapons (with the last one being 30 seconds into NG+) and did everything but the umbilical stuff. Unlike Dark Souls, I don't really fell the desire to keep going as I've already retraced all of these areas to death. In 6 months I'm sure I'll be ready for more.

Something must be severely wrong with my connection. I have not yet received one invasion in 33 hours of play. In using the bell to help others, I never succeeded once (tried it five times). In using the beckoning bell, I was able to get it to work six or seven times. I've also tried the bell about a dozen times unsuccessfully. I did read that leaving your system on for long periods will mess up networking, but I closed the application as well as completely shut down my system and I still don't get cooperation.

All of my invasions came later in the game - most of them in Mensis, the Nightmare Frontier, and Mergo's. Those are the levels with the Bell chimers. It'll give you a little bit of a warning and tell you that her chime alerted someone else. Once you kill the chimers, they're dead for good, so you can't be invaded there anymore.

finished my 3rd playthrough of Bloodborne (mainly to see all 3 endings)...I think I've now seen all the game has to offer and I'm done for awhile (or until new DLC hits)...the ending where you don't fight Gehrman actually has the best ending cutscene...I actually got 100% of the Trophys (Achievements) and I never care about getting those in any game

hardest bosses:
Shadow of Yharnam
Martyr Logarius
Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos

easiest bosses:
Micolash, Host of the Nightmare
One Reborn
Witch of Hemwick

I might have to reconsider my earlier statement that the early bosses in Bloodborne were the hardest beginning bosses in any Souls game...it's close but I think Dark Souls 1 Bell Gargoyles and Capra Demon might be a tad bit more difficult

Amygadala was hard till I seen a youtube video on how to beat her..
Rom gave me the most grief all the story mode bosses. Till I killed all his little spiders and figured out his attack.

I think the hardest boss in the game (for me) was Vicar Amelia. It's the only one I needed help to fight, and I probably died 10 times against her. I don't think any of the others took more then 3-4 tries. Rom would probably 2nd as I died on him 3 times. I think the key to Rom is actually killing all of the first batch of spiders. You're safe in doing so and it keeps the number down for later in the fight.
I killed Amygadala, One Reborn, the Witch of Hemwick, Bloodstarved Beast, Darkbeast Paarl, and the Wet Nurse on the first go. Amygadala and the Darkbeast barely even hit me. Just roll toward them and slash after they miss. Simple...but that's really all it was.
IMO, that alone shows that it probably isn't as hard as Dark Souls. There aren't too many bosses in either Souls game that I took out on the first try.

All of my invasions came later in the game - most of them in Mensis, the Nightmare Frontier, and Mergo's. Those are the levels with the Bell chimers. It'll give you a little bit of a warning and tell you that her chime alerted someone else. Once you kill the chimers, they're dead for good, so you can't be invaded there anymore.

that's the only time I ever got invaded during the game-- those 2 scripted 'sinister bell lady' areas...I don't know if people just aren't invading as much while learning the game or if invasions are now harder due to it being tied to that sinister bell woman...if you kill her then you can't get invaded (for a period of time)...I wish anyone could be invaded at any time like the previous Souls games...this new mechanic sucks

Because I don't want to be invaded (I'd rather just do normal PvP like in DS), the first thing I would do is start hunting for Bell Ringers. There isn't enough payoff for having to defend against invaders in areas already crawling with enemies just so I can get a blood dreg and 10-15K souls.
I did lay the smack down on all but one of the 7 that came after me, though. The one loss I had was from a guy who was waaaay better than all of the others. He had a gun that was doing massive damage from a distance and he even parried me with it. The others were all trying charge attacks and nonsense as though I was the CPU.

Bloodborne and Beasthood: the final word on Beast Transformations

One of Bloodborne's more mysterious attributes, the character stat known as Beasthood, has been a source of speculation within the game's community since before the PlayStation 4 exclusive launched last month...would the player be able to transform into a beast, like some of the game's enemies? While some of Bloodborne's in-game descriptions hint at that and rumors have been flying about a hidden, unlockable beast mode, the game's official strategy guide definitively says, "Nope."...

https://games.yahoo.com/news/bloodborne-beasthood-final-word-beast-213002761.html

Back