Bloggers In and Out Of Jail

HardOCP News

[H] News
One blogger avoids jail. One blogger goes straight to jail, does not pass go, does not collect $200.

An American blogger has been sentenced to three months' jail for accusing a Singapore judge of "prostituting herself," he told AFP on Thursday. "I think I will appeal," Gopalan Nair, 58, said in a brief telephone interview with AFP. An official with the Supreme Court did not provide details but confirmed the sentence, which was issued Wednesday.

Singnapore doesn't mess around, im an American whose never been there and even I know that.

I've been to Singapore 7 times in the past 4 years and I have to say that Singapore is a very free and jovial country that brooks no bullshit from anyone. They'll love you and they'll talk to you and take you everywhere, but if you breach their trust or badmouth their government or deface properties, you're going to get your butt kicked.

Singapore enjoys the title of being one of the cleanest country in the world. Michael Faye found out the hard way how they enforces that.

I was formerly from Singapore. Lived there for 16 yrs. I got all kinds of stories about what goes on there. The judiciary there does not mess around....period. A judge in Singapore is no ordinary person, you have to be the best of the best to become one. They do not have a jury system, the accused are tried by the judges who determine guilt or innocence. As we know, juries here in the US are often plagued by idiots who are easily swayed by fast talking lawyers (e.g. the OJs first trial). You will be very hard pressed to find a Judge in Singapore who is a fool or a "prosititute" which in this case a silly American was calling the justice in question corrupt. If you cannot back your accusations against the judiciary, then you will quickly find yourself in trouble as this man did.

I would have to say my favorite law in Singapore would have to be the ISA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Security_Act_(Singapore)

This allows them to hold anybody who threatens state security indefinately without trial or evidence.

Michael Faye found out the hard way how they enforces that.

That would be Michael Fay, he was made an example for those out of control teenagers from the SAS(Singapore American School) who thought they were above the law.

Basically, the students who attended the school where children from wealthy expatriate familys who could afford the $6000(its probably more then double that now) a semester tuition. Many did drugs and alcohol roaming the streets of Singapore. They constantly got into trouble every weekend with fights with the local gangs and were always bailed outta trouble by their parents who just continued to enable their behavior.

That would be Michael Fay, he was made an example for those out of control teenagers from the SAS(Singapore American School) who thought they were above the law.

Basically, the students who attended the school where children from wealthy expatriate familys who could afford the $6000(its probably more then double that now) a semester tuition. Many did drugs and alcohol roaming the streets of Singapore. They constantly got into trouble every weekend with fights with the local gangs and were always bailed outta trouble by their parents who just continued to enable their behavior.

I was alive when all that was going on and remember it clearly, I remember going, why is this a big deal? The kid was out of control, and they got sick of putting up with shit, so they literally whipped his ass. Im guessing he didn't do it again :)

I got caned the last time I was there so I am not going back anytime soon.

So wait...the guy is an American, blogging in America, and he's be extradited to Singapore because of his blog? Or was he in Singapore while blogging?

I was formerly from Singapore. Lived there for 16 yrs. I got all kinds of stories about what goes on there. The judiciary there does not mess around....period. A judge in Singapore is no ordinary person, you have to be the best of the best to become one. They do not have a jury system, the accused are tried by the judges who determine guilt or innocence. As we know, juries here in the US are often plagued by idiots who are easily swayed by fast talking lawyers (e.g. the OJs first trial). You will be very hard pressed to find a Judge in Singapore who is a fool or a "prosititute" which in this case a silly American was calling the justice in question corrupt. If you cannot back your accusations against the judiciary, then you will quickly find yourself in trouble as this man did.

This allows them to hold anybody who threatens state security indefinately without trial or evidence.

Way to go fascism :rolleyes:

I like that little thing called human rights, part of which is free speech. Big deal if some judge got called a prostitute, even if the guy saying it is an idiot. With the third reich they have set up over there, it was probably warranted. People who go against human rights are below prostitutes in my book.

So wait...the guy is an American, blogging in America, and he's be extradited to Singapore because of his blog? Or was he in Singapore while blogging?

The article lists Singapore as the location.

He should've waited until he got back to the States before he blogged that. Then Singapore couldn't touch him.

Way to go fascism :rolleyes:

I like that little thing called human rights, part of which is free speech. Big deal if some judge got called a prostitute, even if the guy saying it is an idiot. With the third reich they have set up over there, it was probably warranted. People who go against human rights are below prostitutes in my book.

Ah, the old human rights argument. Do NOT get me wrong, I enjoy my rights given to me by my government, but I hate it when supposed human rights are thrown out like a trump card. Free speech was not included in the constitution to allow any idiot to say whatever they want, even though now the judicial system says it does. Free speech was to protect those who spoke out against the government. In this case, a the blogger was basically calling the judge a whore to the government. That, IMO, is a personal attack. If he had complained that he felt the judicial system was merely doing the governments wishes, I doubt he would be in such hot water.

Rights are given to us to enjoy, not to abuse. Case in point: Someone comes up to me and starts calling me names, insulting me, etc. According to free speech he has the right to do so. However, when I get fed up with it and all other passive measures fail (I.E. Walking away, ignoring him, etc) I will probably turn around and knock his ass out. So who's rights were violated? There comes a point and time when one person abuses a "right" to a point where he should lose that right. Singapore law is a shining example of this. Say way you want, as long as it doesn't get personal.

Excuse me, but could you please take your freedom hating self back to your horrible country?

Ah, the old human rights argument. Do NOT get me wrong, I enjoy my rights given to me by my government, but I hate it when supposed human rights are thrown out like a trump card. Free speech was not included in the constitution to allow any idiot to say whatever they want, even though now the judicial system says it does. Free speech was to protect those who spoke out against the government. In this case, a the blogger was basically calling the judge a whore to the government. That, IMO, is a personal attack. If he had complained that he felt the judicial system was merely doing the governments wishes, I doubt he would be in such hot water.

Rights are given to us to enjoy, not to abuse. Case in point: Someone comes up to me and starts calling me names, insulting me, etc. According to free speech he has the right to do so. However, when I get fed up with it and all other passive measures fail (I.E. Walking away, ignoring him, etc) I will probably turn around and knock his ass out. So who's rights were violated? There comes a point and time when one person abuses a "right" to a point where he should lose that right. Singapore law is a shining example of this. Say way you want, as long as it doesn't get personal.

You should go to Singapore with the above guy since you obviously fail to understand the United States Constitution. Hint: It's not there to protect your feelings.

Rights are not "given" to us, that is called a privilege and they certainly aren't just for our enjoyment. You need to read and understand the constitution and bill of rights, before you make the future of this country look worse.

Excuse me, but could you please take your freedom hating self back to your horrible country?

You should go to Singapore with the above guy since you obviously fail to understand the United States Constitution. Hint: It's not there to protect your feelings.

Agreed. People have the right to say whatever they want and you certainly have the right to have a cry in the corner about whatever they said that so wronged you, but that's where it stops.

To Tanis again - last paragraph - Addressing the first amendment as a (quote)right(/quote) really shows how much you don't care what this country was founded upon.

Rights are not "given" to us, that is called a privilege and they certainly aren't just for our enjoyment. You need to read and understand the constitution and bill of rights, before you make the future of this country look worse.

Oh? They are not given to us? When was the last time every single citizen was made to do civil service? Hell, we are now giving this rights to illegal immigrants and foreign fighters who we have detained! They sure as hell have not earned the privilege of sharing these rights. So you show me how the average person has earned these rights besides being lucky to be born in the United States. And before you go and point out the immigrants who are legal and have earned those rights, I'm not talking about them. They understand what those rights mean and work towards becoming a citizen.

And I have read the Constitution, in its entire form. I have studied it. That is why I made that complaint. The Constitution and the Bill of Rights means everything to me, its the abuse of said items that pisses me off. Let me show you what I mean:

Bill of Rights said:
* First Amendment – Establishment Clause, Free Exercise Clause; freedom of speech, of the press, and of assembly; right to petition

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

In layman's terms, there can not be a law forbidding any religion, against the freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of peaceful protest or to ask the Government to compensate for mistakes.

Now, as I stated in my above post, does that right trump my rights to be free from assault (this includes verbal assault)? This is what I was complaining about. In Singapore you have the freedom of speech as long as it does not verbally assault anyone, especially those in government offices.

And you guys said I failed to understand the Constitution? Think again, its the other way around. And because I am criticizing this, does not mean I do not care about this country. I served in the Armed Forces, as did my mother and father, both grandparents, and many other relatives. If called to duty again, I would gladly do so for my country. What I cant stand is people who hide behind the Constitution without having any real clue what those rights mean and then turn around and criticize someone for having the balls to question them. I'm just exercising my freedom of speech. If you don't like it, oh well. I didn't post this or my previous post to get warm and fuzzy with you, I posted it to protest the constant "my human rights are being violated!" cry that I hear when someone feels any of their rights are being violated by even the most minor degree.

... I didn't post this or my previous post to get warm and fuzzy with you, I posted it to protest the constant "my human rights are being violated!" cry that I hear when someone feels any of their rights are being violated by even the most minor degree.

"...prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech..."

Read that again, and then read it again very carefully. Being in the armed forces, you swear to uphold the constitution, it doesn't seem like you are doing a good job.

Talk about hypocrisy, who's the one crying "my human rights are being violated!"? I believe it's the retarded judge in singapore who was called a prostitute.

Here's an off the wall comment... is there a universally accepted definition of what "human rights" are? Or are we going to continue to apply the US Constitution (or the first 10 that is) to the world as the standard?

You guys are kidding, right? Your rights as a US citizen is proportional to how well you can afford a good lawyer. :p

You guys are kidding, right? Your rights as a US citizen is proportional to how well you can afford a good lawyer. :p

Bah-dum *cymbal crash*

Sad of often true. I am amazed/baffled/angered by how me idiotic lawsuits there are in the country and how they always seem to turn out in favor of the swindlers.

Here's an off the wall comment... is there a universally accepted definition of what "human rights" are? Or are we going to continue to apply the US Constitution (or the first 10 that is) to the world as the standard?

You can try looking at what the UN has to say http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html

It's fairly standard for first world countries to agree on freedom of speech as a human right - with the exception of some of its brain-dead citizens.

What some of you fail to understand is that Singapore is very different from other countries in the way that they are largely freee from systemic corruption that plagues many countries. Making an unqualified attack on a member of the judiciary who is in good standing is in essence making an attack on the judicial system. With nothing to back his accusations, he should have kept his mouth shut. If you have evidence, present it. If you think that blogger has it rough, you should see the lengthy jail sentences handed out to those found guilty of being corrupt. If someone went around spreading false accusations and ruining a persons reputation would they not be held libel here in the US?

You sue to get money here in the US.

In Singapore, they don't want your money, they put you in jail.

That is the difference.

Singapore happens to be very pro-American and the people there share many of the same freedoms afforded to those here in America. It is one of the few ports left in the Pacific that welcomes the US Navy and can facilitate a carrier battle group. So before you shit on Singapore about talk about how they are the Fascist, you might want to learn a little bit more about your ally in Asia.

I wonder what that sounds like...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Commissions_Act_of_2006#Unlawful_and_lawful_enemy_combatant
cough :rolleyes:

Singapore's ISA is better then the military commissions act 2006 because they can be held without evidence or trial indefinately. We need to stop pussy footing around with these Al Qaeda terrorists. The bleeding heart liberals can yell all they want about the Geneva Conventions but these bastards are getting more then they are affording to US soldiers captured. Have you seen the bodies of our captured soldiers who were beaten and tortured to death? Have you seen the decaptitation of our kidnapped citizens where they have their heads slowly cut off with a knife? If you haven't, you need to do so to see the nature of our enemy. What morally upright enemy would strap explosives to the mentally retarded to carry out suicide attacks? Make no mistake we fight on the side of good against evil we haven't seen since the likes of Nazi Germany.

The Geneva conventions protect non-combatants citizens and uniformed soldiers.
I don't remember Al Qaeda ever agreeing to the Geneva conventions. This goes both ways, if they do not observe the conventions neither should we with respect to their "soldiers". Al Qaeda combatants being ununiformed so as they can hid amongst true civillians opens them up to summary execution if caught. They have no rights. At the very least they should be held till the end of hostilities between Al Qaeda and US. Already some of the detainees released from Gitmo are back carrying out attacks. This is a fact.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/may/08/bomber-in-iraq-tied-to-gitmo/

The Truth is that more people are dead because some bleeding heart liberal somewhere thought it was unfair that we hold this scum in Gitmo for so long. They seem to revel when there is news of more of out soldiers being killed.

War is bad, but we didn't start this war. Al Qaeda by their own admission will only stop when everybody on Earth is a Muslim convert to their version of Islam.

If you are a pacifist fine cause it is your choice, but stay out of the way of our men and women in the armed forces who are doing the damndest to protect your sorry butt.

Back