Blocking WoW ports with my router

Rtstrider

Gawd
To make a long story short, I live with my roommate and his gf, and per his gf's request (and I wouldn't blame her(he never leaves the computer to stop WoW(Yes I know this is evil ;)))) we need to block the ports WoW uses. Now I've done all I know to do as far as port blocking goes, so just for giggles, lets start at the beginning. I've googled and pulled up what ports WoW uses and I can see they are associated with bittorrent ports. Now can someone walk me through on how to do this? I have a D-link DIR-655, here's the link http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=530. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. For those of you that don't know what WoW is that World Of Warcraft

Doing this is just going to get him miffed. Why not have the gf leverage him on his wow usage.

"No wow = Get some of this *use your imagination*"
"wow = Dumpsville"

Seriously, just talk to the guy. Obviously since you have access to the router, I assume it's safe to say that you own the connection? If so, just unplug him until his addiction stops.... afterall, it is your connection... right? If you guys share the bills, you can not block his ports as he is paying for the service too on the basis of that said access.

Acutally his gf pays the cable bill, and we use cox for our isp, so she has the ultimate say so. She wants it so he can still surf the web, but not play wow. We know it'll get him miffed and are prepped to deal with it, we (I) just need to know how to block those ports.

Ockie is right, don't do this. At least first talk with him, but doing this without convincing him that WOW is causing problems will only lead to a conflict that you don't want.

The settings are in the Advanced section under access control.

The settings are in the Advanced section under access control.

Yep, just add his mac address or his IP (keep in mind he can renew his IP, but probably wont figure out to change his MAC), add in the port range, and add in a block entry to deny him access to that range. That should cut him.

Oh and about the talking to him about it, it's already been brought up. So all is well

Haha I love this thread. Keep in mind if he's anything like me, be prepared to get your butt kicked over a video game. :p

If I were him I'd just run ethereal and sniff your password when you're logging into the router.

Or, when you're gone I would simply plug directly into the router and completely bypass your dlink.

Or I'd walk up to the dlink and hold the reset button.

Or I'd use some wide open wireless network.

Or I'd cry like a girl in the corner and find a new MMO.

just block the IP for the login servers...

can't login... can't play

Here is the current list

us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com has address 12.129.232.109
us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com has address 12.129.232.110
us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com has address 12.129.232.111
us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com has address 12.129.232.112
us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com has address 12.129.232.113
us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com has address 12.129.232.114
us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com has address 12.129.232.115
us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com has address 12.129.232.116
us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com has address 12.129.224.110
us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com has address 12.129.224.111