Blocking ads, pop ups and banners?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Basiq Flac, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Basiq Flac

Basiq Flac [H]Lite

I have the latest FireFox and use Kaspersky Internet Utilities 2011.
    Was wondering if I can do anything more to block more ads and crap on websites?

I use the Anti-Banner in Kaspersky, but a few still come through.

2. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw [H]ardForum Junkie

adblock... a free addon to firefox :)

3. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone [H]ard|Gawd

werd

Adblock is awesome. You could also look into NoScript. I haven't used it for a long time though. It can be a pita sometimes.

4. Cobalt2112

Cobalt2112 [H]ard|Gawd

5. intogamer

intogamer 2[H]4U

NoScript + NoRedirect as well

With many ISPs redirecting you to their ad-filled search engines for mis-typed domain directs, you can pay $5/year for OpenDns Deluxe to speed up your DNS resolve time and remove the ads for redirects.

6. ciggwin

ciggwin [H]ardness Supreme

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=760666

May the mods have mercy on your soul.

[​IMG]

7. stiltner

stiltner [H]ardForum Junkie

In there is a link to Hostsman. Use it, love it, covet it, and offer to have its babies. Its hands down one of the best tools there is for hosts file management. I use it to stop a lot of virus passing sites. Has 3 hosts it uses for blacklists and it works wonders in stopping a lot of potential virus issues as all those sites just route off to /home.

8. Brak710

Brak710 [H]ard|Gawd

99.999% sure this rule is for blocking this site and nothing more. I believe Kyle stated before that as long as you white-list Hardocp and Hardforum, it will be a non issue. I run Adblock+, but have all of Hard's sites white-listed.

I completely recommend using addons like this for computers that security is paramount, and this includes users who are "LOL FREE STUFF?!?" when it comes to banner ads.

UTM appliances/servers/services (like Untangle, for example) can also do this before the computer even gets the webpage.