Block Explorer from accessing internet.

melteye

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering how I would block Explorer from accessing the internet. I only want explorer to manage files and access the local network, firefox will be used to access the net.

I have a tendency to browse files and then type in a internet address (forget to switch out to firefox) and I've accidentely blocked explorer from accessing the net before, so I know its possible.

Easiest way would be with a software firewall ala Zone Alarm or Sygate, just deny outgonig access to exporer.exe and iexplore.exe. If you need to do it in a large network though, you would be better off using some sort of bandwidth management box that looks at headers going out and squashes anything generated by IE. Not sure of anything that does this off of the top of my head, but I'm sure someone else around here or in Networking & Security can come up with something...

You could go into the proxy settings for IE and put 127.0.0.1 in for the proxy address. Then IE will go nowhere.

DOH. Can't believe I forgot that one. ^^
Looks like a firewall isn't the easiest method :D

Thanks for the ideas. While the loopback proxy is a good idea I decided to block explorer.exe in the firewall but not iexplore.exe, that way I can access sites that don't work well with firefox and I won't accidently visit websites from within explorer.

I just installed sygate a few minutes ago so this works well. Thanks.

you could rename iexplore.exe to iexplore.com
then use greenbrowser (based on IE kernal) and turn off java/javascript/activeX in "tools" "Page download control"
it will be real hard to get a virus then, but all sites will load fast and correctly

melteye said:
Thanks for the ideas. While the loopback proxy is a good idea I decided to block explorer.exe in the firewall but not iexplore.exe, that way I can access sites that don't work well with firefox and I won't accidently visit websites from within explorer.

I just installed sygate a few minutes ago so this works well. Thanks.
Everybody needs a firewall, so you made a smart move. :)

Back