Blizzcon and WoW Expansion posts

Warmonkey

Limp Gawd
Due to the high amount of posts I think we will be seeing, post all info from Blizzcon about the WoW expansion in this thread!

-Thanks.

-Warmonkey

Not sure when the events kick off but details are already being leaked. Mainly from an Italian gaming magazine that someone got ahold of before press.

X-Pac is May 2006 at the earliest

New region:
Outlands

New Instances:
Kharazan - Near Deadwind Pass (5-man)

Caverns of Time in Tanaris (unusual place where the players will be able to move back and forth in time to reenact the main events of the history of Warcraft)

Level cap raised to lvl 70 - There will be repetable quests to gain access to a flying epic mount usable only in the Outlands.

New profession: Jewelcrafting, it will be possible to create gems to apply to weapons and armors and add effects. Other professions will be able to craft objects with embedded slots for these gems.

New races:
Horde - Blood Elves with a new starting zone north of Eastern Plaguelands and a new dungeon.
Alliance - Undisclosed

Battlegrounds shared between servers.

Atmospherical effects.

The new Alliance race WON'T be revealed at BlizzCon and there are more than just rumors confirming it will be the Pandarens.

- Kharazan should be playable at BlizzCon but it's still undefined how it will be shaped out (could probably start as a 5-man with a second part for a raid of 20 or 40 players).

- The Blood Elves will be Mages, Warlocks and Warriors but it's undecided if either hunters or rogues

- Their starting zone will be Quel'Thalas (what is left), north of the Eastern Plaguelands and with a three-zones valley inbetween (Eversong Woods with the capital Silvermoon, Ghostland and a troll themed zone called Zul'Aman)

- About the live content, the opening of Silithus will be introduced by a live event that will require the collaboration of everyone and that will only happen once for each server. Behind the gates there will be a open zone tailored for 20 players (defined by Blizzard "casual hardcore" with a temple at the center with an instance that will be the biggest to date (two-three times Molten Core). The players will also get access to special mounts (insects) that will be only usable in the dungeon.

- The Outlands will be divided into differently themed regions (like the rock valleys of the Hellfire Peninsula and the luxuriant forests of Zanga Marsh, part of what is left of Dreanor). While within Shadowmoon Valley there will be the Black Temple with the Illidian guy.

- The flying mount will be for level 70 players and after an epic quest chain. But only usable in the Outlands (floating isles).

- No new engine changes or features. The Blood Elves models seem to use 20% more polygons. Blizzard is also sperimenting with Specular Environmental Mapping.

- The atmospherical effects should arrive soon(TM) as a live patch.

- Also, by the time the expansion is out, the BGs should be finally linked between the servers to kill the queues.

The new region isn't Northrend but the Outlands, with the remains of the planet Dreanor, the world of the first orcs. The remains of this planet float in the air, this is why it will be formed like separated "isles". Two dungeons will be located here along with a new one near the Deadwind Pass.

Same for Tanaris. There will be a brand new instance working like a temporal breach that will allow the players to time travel (hence the name: Caverns of Time) and reenact past events. The war at mount Hyal is one.

The level 70 is real, but no hero classes.

The new race for the horde is the blood elf. The racial traits will be a "Mana Tap" to slowly leech the mana of the target (it will be applicable more than once like the Sunder Armor) and that will then directly load the second trait: "Arcane Torment (or Torrent)" which will work like an area silence. The starting zone will probably be near Quel'thalas.

The Alliance race is still not available but it seems it will be Pandarens.

The new profession will be Jewelcrafting that works in a similar way to how the gems worked in Diablo 2.

And btw, the main boss will be Illidian.

wow16pe3qd7ue.jpg

are you sure its illidan and not one of his brothers? he was supposed to die at the bottom of the mountain, that encased the litch king, by the hands of arthas

Illidan escaped to the Outlands with the rest of his army after his defeat by Arthas. There is apparently a quest item that drops off one of the new Green dragon bosses and when you turn it in it triggers a scene where you see Malfurion the druid appear and he talks about the Emerald Dream and then mentions Illidan in the Outlands and how he will have to be dealt with soon. Makes sense if the expansion isn't out until around next summer, we will probably see The Emeral Dream before then, some time after Ahn' Quarji opens up in southern Silithus.

Here ya go .... This is a huge spoiler, for those who do not want to know.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

WOW !!!! The caverns of time is awesome. I cant wait to be part of the "tides of darkness", or any of the other epic battles from WarCraft lore.

I'm pretty interested in how they plan on handling character progression past level 60. Does this mean 10 more talent points? That would make some classes incredibly powerful.

Since this is Blizconn weekend, and I love this idea, We'll sticky this thread for the weekend so we can all access it easily.

PLEASE POST ALL WoW UPDATE INFO. HERE

Genocidal[v2] said:
I'm pretty interested in how they plan on handling character progression past level 60. Does this mean 10 more talent points? That would make some classes incredibly powerful.

According to a german source, they are also reworking the talent lines so they can accomodate the extra 10 levels, and not just you got 10 more talent points to put in the current telent trees.

They'd have to, if not we'd have a few million Mortal Strike + Death Wish warriors running around...

cheers,

yass

I wonder how the new cap will effect the economy. This all sounds good, maybe by linking BG's I won't have to wait over an hour for an AB run.

odoe said:
I wonder how the new cap will effect the economy. This all sounds good, maybe by linking BG's I won't have to wait over an hour for an AB run.

And maybe AV will actually be up once in a while. :D

I really did not think Blizzard was going to put this much work into the expansion, I am very surprised. There is just so much new stuff. It looks friggen amazing, I cant wait.

This article must have been written a while ago though, as they have quoted from Rob Parde, who if Im not mistaken has left and is working on hellgate London. If Rob actualyl did work on teh expansion I am really happy.

Draax said:
Here ya go .... This is a huge spoiler, for those who do not want to know.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

WOW !!!! The caverns of time is awesome. I cant wait to be part of the "tides of darkness", or any of the other epic battles from WarCraft lore.

Two questions:

1-what mag is this??
2-can I still get one??

Mesquite said:
Two questions:
1-what mag is this??
CGW, and if Im not mistaken its the December edition

2-can I still get one??
When the December issue hits new stands, I think it is a distict possability

Draax said:
I really did not think Blizzard was going to put this much work into the expansion, I am very surprised. There is just so much new stuff. It looks friggen amazing, I cant wait.

I think they realize that they need to make the expansion to be really outstanding to make those buying it feel justified. If they didn't have a ton of new content everyone would just complain that for $15 a month the expansion should have been provided as content patches.

I already spend too much time on WoW. I hate to think what'll happen when the expansion hits the shelves. On the plus side 40-hour week job + grad school + WoW means a lot less money spent at the bars.

Official expansion site ? I think so

Linky

*NOTE : Before you watch the trailer, make sure to have multiple pairs of underwear handy!

Nice...Can't wait..Looks good. I don't know that it needs to be a f'n expansion pack though.

i rofl at the horde who will soon have hundreds of perky blood elf females invading their cities

OK just got a quick outline of the setup at the con right now from my brother

The info released at the conn about the expansion is exactly the same as what is disclosed at the website http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/
They allowed poeple at the con to play the blood elves, but I havent heard anythign more than that from him.

They have Starcraft: Ghost set up for people to play with(with lines longer than god), as well as WoW set up with some characters equipeed in epics to BG with.

He called me as he was waiting in line for his grab bag of stuff, will prolly update as I get more info.

DermicSavage said:
OK just got a quick outline of the setup at the con right now from my brother

The info released at the conn about the expansion is exactly the same as what is disclosed at the website http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/
They allowed poeple at the con to play the blood elves, but I havent heard anythign more than that from him.

They have Starcraft: Ghost set up for people to play with(with lines longer than god), as well as WoW set up with some characters equipeed in epics to BG with.

He called me as he was waiting in line for his grab bag of stuff, will prolly update as I get more info.
sweet :D

Hmm, can the BE flip like the NE? I hope not, that always pissed me off when I played alliance and people would be flipping all over Gnomeregan or something and accidentally aggroing everything around them.

I've done my fair share of high end 40 person raids and all I can say is they suck... they suck HARD. Blizzard needs to just put more 5 man instances and solo content for high level players. PvE raids in WoW suck... period. I don't like spending 5 hours in one place to have a SLIGHT chance(*IF* I have any DKP) to get one item.

The current raids don't even have much of a story or point to them at all. OMG Ragnaros is uber powerful dark iron dwarf god oh em gee!!! WoW!!11!! Nefarion is somehow secretly controlling teh world yay!!! WoW needs a better library that expands as you complete quests and such that explain the story.

Leveling a char to 60 for the first time is fun as hell, and going through places like strath and BRS for the first few times. Once you get into the high end raid content the game loses its magic and is no longer fun. I know this is a big rant but there is truth to this... PVE raids suck in their current state!

For places like MC the group leader should be able to place some kind of "marker" so the guild can leave and come back the next day at that spot.

them putting in illidan so soon kind of worries me =( oh well we'll see how it pans out, i guess supposedly hes the "main target" of the expantion, akso i'm looking forward to the emeral dream soon after the release, it seems it got corrupt that'll be interesting to see :D

Finally, a Horde character who ISN'T Ugly.

Maybe now I might consider playing them.

Gob said:
Finally, a Horde character who ISN'T Ugly.

Maybe now I might consider playing them.

seriously? Undead are awesome :)

and anyone who rolls horde needs to do so on stormscale.

Anyone slightly dissappointed with the info they released?

They hyped it so much, only to show a ton of concept art.

Warmonkey said:

Uhm... In the movie they showed a good bit of In game content.

Warmonkey said:

I got the same feeling bro. How many monthes have the been dragging us along? I expected a very polished product, not a bunch of concept art. Thats the impression they gave me at least.

u know its not all concept art. some of the maps and models have been in the game files for months, if you know where to look.

Also from Blizzcon. The level cap is going to 70 now, but this is definitly not the last level cap raise.

From one of the Dev's, when asked, "Why not Northrend(sp?)?"
Dev answer, "Let me put it this way, do you honestly think that Arthas is 70th level?"

Also many other mentions of content that goes beyond the portals in The Outlands. The Outlands will have portals to other worlds that players will be able to jump into to help save them from the Burning Crusade. I would expect those, and Arthas, to be in future expansions though.

The quest and expansion panel was a good one to see.

Back