Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm beta.

Have you played Nazeebo yet? Leading the DPS charts by a good 20%, even with KT or Valla in the game. First game in, 100k DPS Naz, 52k dps Valla, 48k KT. Will have to give Raynor a shot.

The new monk seems potentially slightly OP as well, not enough games in to tell yet.

As for the Battlefield of Eternity map, I wish they would make it ever so slightly larger, particularly in the middle; it's a cluster fuck with a lot of the space being clogged with 1-2 heroes at a time.

Finally, the 20 game tryout phase for heros league, after already playing 250 games, is kinda a PITA.

Haven't tried league yet, not enough heroes purchased I guess. I am always off and on between this an DOTA but since the International I've been on a DOTA binge.

THey nerfed my KT :(

KT wasn't "nerfed", he was just balanced. I main KT and he's pretty damn awesome post patch still.

I hated playing KT just for his damage to spike at level 16. Now he can contribute way more in early game pressure than he ever could before.

His damage spike before: _____|

Now its a steady slope towards that point.

Heh. Had a KT in a terrible team last night, justifying his place on the very bottom of the DPS chart, all the way to level 14, because "The spike is coming!"

Having played quite a bit of KT, I understand the spike, but no way you should be underneath the tanks and healers.

Heh. Had a KT in a terrible team last night, justifying his place on the very bottom of the DPS chart, all the way to level 14, because "The spike is coming!"

Having played quite a bit of KT, I understand the spike, but no way you should be underneath the tanks and healers.

Yeah, that's pretty bad. Lol.

Anyone else play hero league? Have a much better record playing with even 1 other person in a team vs 4 other pugs. Spazm#1118 I believe. Otherwise, seems nearly random - spank one time, get spanked the next.

I dont think there are ever too many close hero league matches. Its either you stomp or get stomped.

I dont think there are ever too many close hero league matches. Its either you stomp or get stomped.

That's pretty much every MOBA. Once a team starts to build momentum they can steam roll towards the end. HOTS at least has the advantage of no item builds so it's more skill based.

That's pretty much every MOBA. Once a team starts to build momentum they can steam roll towards the end. HOTS at least has the advantage of no item builds so it's more skill based.

Good to know...thought I was doing something wrong.

well.. for people nthat have played the various moba's... which of the other would you suggest?

LoL or dota2? Ive always heard.. the culture of LoL is really wretched.. so.. that kinda scares me off.. Im really not into listening to elitest whiners..

last night, for the first time.. I actually clicked a join invite fro logging in.. and played 6 qm's.. and won 5:1

prior to that, had only solo queued qm, and lost 99%

that was fun as hell, winning. I guess Im one of the bad's that have learned almost exclusively playing the daily cap in player vs AI. need to unlearns some stuff.

I know this question is a couple months old but try Smite.

It has the best mix of complexity and fun IMO. It's a 3rd person MOBA so you can get the standard MOBA gameplay plus the ability to manually aim; it feels like you're actually playing a game versus just clicking an interface. It has gold/items but there aren't so many items that it's overwhelming. It also doesn't feel like a total rip-off if you want to buy all of the characters; You can grind them out but $30 unlocks all current and future characters.

after the patch... i feel like my fps took a turn for the worst... i used to get over 120 fps... now im getting between 50 - 70 ..i even tried turning my settings down and it wasnt much of an increase... anyone else notice this?

No FPS issues here since the patch.

This game has been randomly buggy for me, bringing my entire system to a crawl, rendering it unplayable (my teammates love this...) either for a whole game or in random instances. It will happen for a game or two, then randomly clear up, so no idea what it is.

This game has me hooked like no other has for a really long time. 300 games in and I'm still jonesing to play like a methhead.

Totally random offtopic, but I've noticed there are 3-4 characters that seem to attract really bad players: Nova, Illidan, Abba and Gaz. Nothing wrong with them persay, but the ratio of good:bad players picking them seems heavily skewed to the bad.

Not a very active thread. ;)

So another new hero out, Rexxar, seems about average.

Leoric, on the other hand, still seems seriously OP. Massive AOE damage, tanky, spies on everything you do, can respawn constantly right up in your business? So annoying.

Not a very active thread. ;)

So another new hero out, Rexxar, seems about average.

Leoric, on the other hand, still seems seriously OP. Massive AOE damage, tanky, spies on everything you do, can respawn constantly right up in your business? So annoying.

The LoL one isn't either, even though many of us here play these games... something about the genre just doesn't get a lot of conversation going--at least around the [H] anyway.

The last time i tried this game it was in Beta... and i always felt that it just didn't feel as fluid as LoL... is it pretty fluid now, post launch?

I barely played LoL, and didn't really enjoy it, so I'm likely not the best person to ask (didn't play the beta, either).

Can be a bit buggy for me at times, yesterday was actually the worst by far with several CTD mid game even (although that's an anomaly for sure).

As for the game itself, I haven't enjoyed a game this much in quite some time; about 300 hero league matches now, about 400 total, I greatly enjoy the ~25 minute games and the level of personal skill vs team strategy.

playing right now, its 1am EST.

i get fucking matched against the #4 ranked person in north america along with his friend and 3 other people in a different group that are all on the esports scene or whatever. fucking twice in a row in quick match. not hero league, not team league, not even draft. fucking quick match at 1am. all i wanted was to relax and play the game a little. fuck eSports and fuck this.

edit: 3 times in a row.

I'm just going to stop playing multiplayer games i think.

Ha! That's both funny and terrible. And why I run AI when it's just to relax, but even then I have been paired up with such clueless people that there are a few AI losses in my record. Fer example: 200K+ siege, 100K+hero, forget the kills but they were both double digits with a single death (as Hammer); still lost even though I was requesting assistance verbally. Stuff like "can the two of you in the top lane grab that temple please?" fell on deaf ears for over 15 minutes.

But I would almost want to see the amount of teamwork that good esports people could bring...

A couple of my friends tried this while we were looking for something to replace LoL for our pvp fix since we'd been playing it for years and they've gotten to the point where they seem to just change shit to change shit.

The general impression that it was more balanced and less snowball prone.

It was that very aspect of LoL that made you sometimes hate the game. But after experiencing another game without such momentum swings they realized it was this same mechanic that made you feel such pwnage on the winning end.

So we stuck with LoL lol

I have a feeling we didn't give it enough of a shake though. What say y'all?

I really like that the game is never in the bag- I have stolen a victory by winning a teamfight and killing the core while they were on cooldown- they were up a few levels and steamrolled us for ten straight minutes but a single furball changed everything. Plus there are some strange heroes (esp. Vikings and Abathur) that I don't think have a real mirror in other games (please note: I know I may be wrong).

A couple of my friends tried this while we were looking for something to replace LoL for our pvp fix since we'd been playing it for years and they've gotten to the point where they seem to just change shit to change shit.

The general impression that it was more balanced and less snowball prone.

It was that very aspect of LoL that made you sometimes hate the game. But after experiencing another game without such momentum swings they realized it was this same mechanic that made you feel such pwnage on the winning end.

So we stuck with LoL lol

I have a feeling we didn't give it enough of a shake though. What say y'all?

I personally feel that HotS is one of the only MOBAs that has kept my attention, aside from Smite (which I enjoy for the gameplay, but HATE the monetization so I don't play much longer). Heroes of the Storm is a perfect example of Blizzard design where they manage to polish and update the gameplay of a particular genre in a way that makes it accessible and fun, while trimming some of the cruft. For instance, HotS has team-based leveling. That means the ability of one player to feed the other team and/or be really underleveled and thus useless etc... is minimized or removed. Likewise, there are no more "Items" to buy, instead replaced by skill trees that players pick during level up. Overall it is much "cleaner" especially considering how so many of the items and whatnot were really baked down to a cookie-cutter build for a given hero as "best" with a few situational changes that could be made. They also did away with the "last hit" requirement to gain gold/XP and moved the tactical elements of play to better places. Gone are paid scrolls of home portal and travel speed stuff, instead there is a Hearthstone button that returns you home (with a cast animation that can be stopped of course) and mounts (custom aesthetic, functionally identical) that raise your speed out of battle. The heroes themselves are taken from all over Blizzard's properties and play in unique ways so you'd likely to find someone you enjoy playing. There are a variety of free to play heroes every week, so even without spending any Gold to unlock new heroes you still have a lot to do. Finally, unlike so many other MOBA they have released a relative ton of maps and game modes, all unique and contributing to different forms of play, hero builds and more!

Now, during Heroes of the Storm 1.0 (ie up unti lthe 25th) I've also been able to applaud Blizz on their monetization. Heroes were available for either in-game Gold or real cash, which was displayed in actual currency - no obtuse "DIAMOND HYPERCREDITS" to disguise the cost etc. Color shift skins were free, granted by leveling up the character. The same is true of color shifting for mounts that own.. Skins and Mounts are sold for cash. There are also Bundles (including dynamic bundles where you gain a discount if you already have some other pieces and only need the remainder in the bundle) as well as heroes and skins on sale every week, often for 1/2 off or more. "Master" skins were only available at level 10 for a given character and could only be unlocked through gold, not cash "Stimpacks" double your XP and Gold awarded, and cost around $9 a month. Gold is given by playing various modes and every day players get up to 3 quests that grant large amounts - like "Play 2 matches as a Starcraft hero" or " Play 3 matches as a Warrior hero", plus the weekly "BRawl" (a special condition match type, think Overwatch Arcade ) grants a large amount of gold plus a special portrait if you play the number of times required. All in all I';m very harsh when it comes to a free-to-play title monetization and Blizz did better than just about any other MOBA. There was non of the nonsense that I saw in Smite, LoL and others where a skin could cost $30-50+, or horrid Smite style "Events' where you had to buy literally hundreds of dollars of stuff in order to get the "cool" skin unlocked.

This is why I'm so worried about HotS 2.0 - I see what could be some potential changes to be more like the other MOBA monetizations out there and it terrifies me. Lots more things to sell and lots more currencies, including a "real money" currency - a bad sign in my mind. There is also "crafting items" that let you build items you want and/or currencies. Certain skins and whatnot, like recolors, will now be treated as unique as opposed to free color swaps. All in all it seems to be moving towards at best, something like Overwatch's system. Which I admit is not necessarily horrible OF ITS TYPE, but frankly I'm concerned. I'll reserve judgement until the end and they claim that existing players can of course keep all their old unlocks and whatnot...but I don't like to see these kinds of change directions. I became turned off most MOBAs because of their monetization and I really hope HotS, easily my favorite of the genre, does not start down a dark road.

To to conclude, Yes, if you enjoy MOBAs then HotS is worth a try. The gameplay itself and features are great in my opinion. However, they are about to go through some huge business model/unlock changes so be aware; lets hope it will be a customer-friendly change. Any questions I'd be happy to help.

Back