Blizzard's brand new game 'Heroes of the Storm'

The game-play videos look really cool, and I like the idea of all three Blizzard franchises in one game :eek:

But I am a little confused as to what type of game this is ? I understand it's a multiplayer game, and looks sort of like an Action RPG, like gameplay close to that of Diablo ? Click and move and play together with friends ? Or is it an Action RTS ? Not sure ?

Any hint of a release date ?

And what game engine ? The Diablo ]l[ engine ?

Yeah, I still don't really know what type of game this is. Looks like Warcraft 3 a little.

IIRC it's supposed to be like a MOBA style game with some RTS elements.

Last edited:
What the fuck?

So they can make Diablo look like Diablo in a non Diablo game but give us Shit in an actual Diablo game?

GG Blizzard, fuckin douches.

This is the same game that was going to be "Blizzard All Stars" and even before that Blizzard's DOTA (they got into a dispute with Valve over the DOTA name and then renamed it to All Stars)

It was just going to be a custom map thing for Starcraft 2 (much like the original DOTA was) but now Blizzard has decided to go all in and make it a full fledged title complete with it's own engine and everything.

My main hope is that maybe they'll actually trying something new? I am a bit tired of playing the SAME MAP in every-single-moba game, why does this genre think it can only use one map over and over and over?

Could you imagine BF4 or another mp game launching with a single map? No, yet Moba games keep using the same map/layout across the entire genre like it's bloody football or something.

There's no reason we can't have a good number of different maps to play a moba game on, complete with different weather effects, time of day, terrain (IE Snow, desert, etc) ANYTHING to help spice up the variety of landscapes to play on.

Its a MOBA...but supposedly there may be enough differences to make it worthwhile. Hell, if they can make overall team performance balanced better as opposed to each individual having to have a strict level of competency to not weaken the rest of their team, they'll have a victory in my book - MOBAs have some of the WORST communities and behavior in all of of gaming because of this. If you don't know the "correct" build for your character, exactly what to do in the laning/pushing etc... phases of the game, how not to screw up and "feed" the enemy team... you'll be shouted at, kicked from games etc...

If they can bring some new ideas to the MOBA arena (the "quests' and whatnot seem to be helpful), have a lot of different maps and styles, as well as not price gouge like most MOBAs (ie get back to an actual MICRO transaction if you're going free to play. A $5 or $10 skin is NOT micro, especially when you're selling 50 of them). , they'll have a worthy addition to the playing field in my mind

Too little too late.

Some guy already made a hugely popular MOBA with Blizzard characters but they were too busy ruining the Diablo franchise to notice.

This is the same game that was going to be "Blizzard All Stars" and even before that Blizzard's DOTA (they got into a dispute with Valve over the DOTA name and then renamed it to All Stars)

It was just going to be a custom map thing for Starcraft 2 (much like the original DOTA was) but now Blizzard has decided to go all in and make it a full fledged title complete with it's own engine and everything.

My main hope is that maybe they'll actually trying something new? I am a bit tired of playing the SAME MAP in every-single-moba game, why does this genre think it can only use one map over and over and over?

Could you imagine BF4 or another mp game launching with a single map? No, yet Moba games keep using the same map/layout across the entire genre like it's bloody football or something.

There's no reason we can't have a good number of different maps to play a moba game on, complete with different weather effects, time of day, terrain (IE Snow, desert, etc) ANYTHING to help spice up the variety of landscapes to play on.

Yeah, this game was supposed to be delivered for "free" with Hearth of the Swarm..lol Blizzard

Yeah, this game was supposed to be delivered for "free" with Hearth of the Swarm..lol Blizzard

It's still going to be free.....just going to be a full fledged game now.

They are likely going to follow the league of legends model with skins/cosmetic items for real money so you can play for free and then spen dreal money to make the heroes look unique/different then the basic skin.

I signed up for the beta, and I'll give it a chance. I just have been having so much fun with Smite so I don't know. I think a lot of people may be a bit moba'd out, plus people get so set in stone and anti-other-moba's against other competition.

What the fuck?

So they can make Diablo look like Diablo in a non Diablo game but give us Shit in an actual Diablo game?

GG Blizzard, fuckin douches.

This x1000

However I am intrigued because D3 was total crap, and I'm a huge Diablo fan. D2 was like 6-8 years of my life.

I'll give it a shot for sure.

WTF? Where was Zeratul? He's the most badass character bliz ever made.

If they expand upon MOBA it could be really cool. I think it'd be sweet to be able to spend gold on base improvements or repairs and the like, as well as hopefully a wide variety of maps and more game modes. They could also do some more imaginative things with the items. Here's hoping!

So I'll jump in here to counter the hate train. I just returned from Blizzcon and while as a whole, there wasn't anything ground breaking-ly new announced - I'm optimistic about Blizzard fixing up some of their crap lately.

First off - Heroes of the storm looks pretty fun. It's a MOBA game - like defense of the ancients or LoL. Yes, if you hate those games, you'll probably hate this one too. That said - I enjoy those games and this one looks fun. For starters - they are at least trying to expand the genre. I loved the fact that Riot released Dominion - and I wished they would do that stuff more often. Looks like Blizzard is going right into releasing some map variations - same type of play, but with a unique twist for on each one. Keeps things fresh and interesting IMO. Also, I like the fact that the story is complete BS - it's just a ridiculous mash up of your favorite Blizzard heroes and that's cool. Yes it's both ridiculous and cool to have a medic Uther. At first I thought the game seemed "slow" - not pacing wise, just movement wise. But after watching the developers beat each other up - I let go of that pretty quick. In fact, I was completely enthralled in watching them play the game. It looked like a hoot, and all the new "things" while gimmicky - were working for the game. I went from "meh" to "I'm on board, and giving this one an honest shot"

Second - I really like this Josh guy who's leading the expansion. Screw Jay Wilson... Josh like, gets D2 and what made it fun. I agreed with everything they said at Blizzcon, with everything they were doing to the game, and I was really blown away with the frankness the team exhibited in their dialogue with the fans. They were pretty unapologetic and open about "what isn't fun with D3 now" and were pretty blunt regarding "how D3 plays now, and how they feel it should have been like" So, as much as I was burned and pissed off over D3 - I really think they are on the right track for the expansion.

Adventure mode was awesome BTW. It's the completely randomized tilesets and dungeons we've all been looking for - thrown into the middle of the existing game. It gives me both a reason to play the current game in an old school "go hunt this boss down and kill him for loot" mode, and then rewards me with a completely randomized dungeon. One where bosses are intermingled with monster packs, crazy zone wide buffs and debuffs, and what is looking to be crazy build changing loot drops.

So, ending this novel. Heroes looked pretty good - I think it's at least going to be worth a serious consideration - even if you ultimately stick with LoL. And the D3 expansion is looking pretty good for us D2 lovers.

YAY! ;)

Kongar

The argument has been that because the players are so diverse they can only manage to balance on them on a single map. But I agree I think that its stupid, most games really are not balanced in fact almost all the best games in the world had horrible balance when they blew up in popularity.

My guess is the part where they say unique areas is their hint that it will not be all played on one map and that will be the "innovation" of blizzards game.

I was skeptical of another DOTA, but their showing at Blizzcon has me positive.

Soooooooooooooo

Its LoL meets RTS but with Blizzard characters

I could bite.

After wasting money on D3, and noticing blizzard is late to the moba party by about 3 years.. I will pass.

If they use the blizzard model it won't be free. 99% of the draw to current mobas is their free to start mantra.

D3 isnt bad, just not alot to D3, the graphics are good but gaming is simple as boiling a pot of water...

HOTS looks ok, I dont plan on getting it myself. If your a Blizzard fan, I can see you getting the game...

After wasting money on D3, and noticing blizzard is late to the moba party by about 3 years.. I will pass.

If they use the blizzard model it won't be free. 99% of the draw to current mobas is their free to start mantra.

It is going to be free to play.

Of course it will have things to buy with real money (like league of legends) but the base game is ifree to play.

It has to be F2P to compete at all with LoL and DOTA2. I'm just shocked it took them so long to do anything about it. Blizzard is playing from behind this time.

Well, to give them credit, it does look like they are doing some new things, so it might be interesting. The scripted events sound cool, but might just be a new idea for jungling. In the gameplay video, they showed a gate or something that the heroes were working on. Winder what those were.

It has to be F2P to compete at all with LoL and DOTA2. I'm just shocked it took them so long to do anything about it. Blizzard is playing from behind this time.

You're shocked that Blizzard is slow to release something? C'mon! :D

You're shocked that Blizzard is slow to release something? C'mon! :D

Eh, it depends. WoW is a behemoth. SC2 has no competition. D3 pretty much had no competition. There was no RTS or ARPG on the scale of LoL or DOTA2 when those came out. Blizzard had no reason to rush. Blizzard has the advantage of being Blizzard though... we'll see.

Well, to give them credit, it does look like they are doing some new things, so it might be interesting. The scripted events sound cool, but might just be a new idea for jungling. In the gameplay video, they showed a gate or something that the heroes were working on. Winder what those were.

They are trying a lot of new things from allt he info I've read.

The teams level as a whole, no more "underlevel'd" supports like you get in League.

There are NO items to buy, you can customize your heroes yourself and augment your powers, etc.

The game is more focuseds on Objectives and less on just simple creep pushing to base.

Here is a great video showing and talking about what the game is about and the new things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYnDvMq6ejI

I bet a ton of people will play. Blizzard will earn lots of money on microtransactions

I can say, without a doubt, that Blizzard's art team should be fired. SC2 is the only game they have released since WC3 that doesn't look like a pile of shit to the eyes.

Back