Blizzard’s Jay Wilson Leaving the Diablo 3 Team

Yup, fuck him for sure. I defended D3 and the auction house and the stat changes and the skill trees and everything that loser sold me on. I said in these forums - "it's blizzard, it'll be alright"

I was dead wrong. I was miffed about cata, I hated the three part money grab for Starcraft, and then D3 was the straw that broke the camels back.

I bought 2 copies of D3... I'll never buy another Blizzard product again, until ALL the nerds on the Internet give it a "game of the year"

Seriously jaded - serious hate for jay Wilson and any company that supports that idiot.

Or you know, you can come back to reality and realize Wow is still the most successful MMO in history and a huge money maker, and Diablo 3 was one of the best selling PC games of last year.

While YOU may not like the games or their style, thinking that Blizzard is failing just shows how blindly you like to rant. Blizzard is one of the most successful and profitable PC developers out there.

To your point about Wow losing and gaining people. Wow can lose and gain more people between expansions than most MMO's see in a lifetime. Yea... :rolleyes:

Oh look a Blizztard. May be you should realize DIII was so bad they had to offer refunds or be sued by the BBB.

Excellent, I provide facts backed up by Vivendi's own press releases and what financial analysts have stated. You say bullshit and rant with nothing concrete.

Since you have no grasp of economics let me clarify it one more time. When a company needs to raise quick capital, they need to sell something valuable. ATVI is valuable. They had little interest from bidders and took ATVI off the market quickly. ATVI proceeded to post a (in caps and bold since you missed it the first time) RECORD BREAKING QUARTER in Q3 2012.

Actually, look at the data again. It's very interesting and destroys your rant. Diablo came out on May 15th which was Q2 for ATVI. So, if people were fed up with Blizz because Diablo turned them off, then Q3 would have been terrible since people would not buy MoP due to the loss of faith in Blizzard. Well what happened do you ask? ATVI set a record in Q3. That doesn't sound like people skipping out on MoP. Also, CoD BO2 had nothing to do with it because that fell into Q4 2012. So the record breaking Q3 2012 was mainly supported by MoP.

But yes, ignore the data, you're right, company is in the shitter. :rolleyes:

No, if you need cash you sell off poor/mediocre divisions, selling off Blizzard as you describe them would be the worst thing they could do.

You also didn't provide a shred of evidence, you just said that "this is what blah blah blah said and so I am right."

No, if you need cash you sell off poor/mediocre divisions, selling off Blizzard as you describe them would be the worst thing they could do.

You also didn't provide a shred of evidence, you just said that "this is what blah blah blah said and so I am right."

Sorry, I thought people here were proactive enough to research these things on their own. So I figured anyone trying to claim that ATVI is in trouble would already have done research to backup the claim. But since apparently that is expecting too much from posters in this thread....

Q3 record results

Vivendi in trouble and needed to raise capital

Activision has no debt and over $3 billion in cash making them very financially healthy.

Activision has the largest revenue of any software only videogame company in 2011 (2012 numbers are not available yet as not all firms have closed their 2012 fiscal years)

I really liked D3.

Legendaries, the backbone of Diablo 1 and Diablo 2, all sucked, there isn't a single Legendary in Diablo 3 that's any good, period. None, nadda, zip.

just goes to show you that people can be really emphatic about things they're wrong about.
The Stormwind, Helm of Command, and Justice Lantern are the corner stones of modern blocking barbs. There are more than a couple legendary items that are worth a billion gold.

I really liked Starcraft 2, and I'm excited for heart of the swarm.

Sorry, I thought people here were proactive enough to research these things on their own. So I figured anyone trying to claim that ATVI is in trouble would already have done research to backup the claim. But since apparently that is expecting too much from posters in this thread....

Q3 record results

Vivendi in trouble and needed to raise capital

Activision has no debt and over $3 billion in cash making them very financially healthy.

Activision has the largest revenue of any software only videogame company in 2011 (2012 numbers are not available yet as not all firms have closed their 2012 fiscal years)

Shit in one hand, wish in the other and see what fills up quicker.

Diablo 3 is not as awful as stated in this forum by some. I do however agree that the AH and lack of player controlled character development kept it from being a truely great game.

I bought the game this past black friday and feel like it wasnt worth $39. I dont hate the game, but i really dont like the watered down character developlment. part of what made diablo 2 so fun for me was trying various builds. melee mages, caster paladins, etc.

I enjoyed diablo 3 through inferno, but now that im started MP, i just lost interest. I have a deep respect for blizzard still -- but lately they seem to have lost innovation along the way.

I can't wait for some real information to come out about Titan. It's going to be /popcorn when people go apeshit when it's not what they are expecting it to be. :)

Or you know, you can come back to reality and realize Wow is still the most successful MMO in history and a huge money maker, and Diablo 3 was one of the best selling PC games of last year.

While YOU may not like the games or their style, thinking that Blizzard is failing just shows how blindly you like to rant. Blizzard is one of the most successful and profitable PC developers out there.

To your point about Wow losing and gaining people. Wow can lose and gain more people between expansions than most MMO's see in a lifetime. Yea... :rolleyes:

That's true. In terms of economic successes , WoW and D3 are champs. Blizzard makes more money each year with WoW than most companies can hope to make with 2 or 3 major releases in a decade. And that's not even counting the great successes of Diablo and Starcraft franchises.

But in terms of quality , Diablo is a let down. WoW became boring because there is only so much original content you can throw at a 9 year old MMO before it becomes recycling over and over again.

But Jay really took the last bastion to old fans of Blizzard games and pretty much took a mega dump on it. No question. But Blizzard is a business in the business of making money , if the games sell well then they will weather any kind of fallout that comes with the territory. Knowing that Jay is moving on to Titan just makes me sad. His influence won't do the game any good.

But whatever , its not like Blizzard is the only company in the world that makes quality video games. Onward and upward.

Everything about Blizzards choices with every single game released after Burning Crusade is meant to milk customers for everything they are worth. From multiple Starcraft II launches, to the RMAH in Diablo 3 and WoW going EZMode its easy to see.

I can name several things that could have been changed with each game to make them outstanding and in Diablo III's respect skill trees, longer campaign, get rid of the watercolors, RMAH, and focus on PvP.

With all of their games you can blatantly tell how they tried to mold a cash system to continue making profit hand over fist at the expense of actual quality. LoL and Dota2 kills Starcraft II, and Torchlight II is significantly better than Diablo 3. WoW will always be WoW, it won't die until Blizz actually stops running the servers. They are milking it in other ways like buying mounts, pets, etc.

I guess it makes sense, whoever was in the desicion making process must have focused on this type of game implementation after the collapse of 2008.

Nothing he said was incorrect.

And Diablo 3 was such a good seller because they painted it as something that it clearly was not. Or can you explain why very many people stopped playing it completely within weeks of getting it?

I'm still waiting for PVP in d3! I have the box proudly displayed in my computer room and laugh when I see the PVP features mentioned!

Last Blizzard game for me. Online play access issues alone. Just too much lack of willingness to do what was necessary on all levels.

I don´t believe his departure will change much though. Blizzard is in it for the profit alone at this point, and D3 was very profitable, meaning they will continue along these lines.

McDonald's Sells billions of hamburgers. Clearly they are successful. BUT THEIR FOOD TASTES LIKE SHIT!

WoW/D3 has sold millions of copies. BUT THE GAMES ARE SHIT!

Some of the changes in Blizzard get to some of the fundamental arguments we have on a site like this:

A. Blizzard is a for profit company (as technically are all game developers and publishers) ... Blizzard just seems to do the profit side better than a lot of their competitors (at the moment) ... we can criticize and complain about strategies different companies use all we want, but if they actually work and profits increase (which appears to be the case for Blizzard) we are making our own little tempest in a teapot ;)

B. Making games more appealing to the masses tends to increase profits but usually pisses off the die hard fan ... RPGs and ARPGs are generally somewhat of a niche market ... Blizzard made changes to their franchises that increased accessibility (and thus profit) ... we can complain about this all we want but the SC and Diablo franchises are probably more accessible to the masses than they have ever been ... it may have cost them some hardcore fans but the newbies they gained probably offset those losses

I think the complaints about SC being part 1 of 3 get a little overblown since they released so many missions in the first game ... if the release 20+ missions in each of the two follow-on games then it is hard to argue that you didn't get your money's worth. I played D3 for about 100 hours until I burned out (got my Monk into Inferno) but there were just too many other games in my backlog to grind it out on one game. I figure I got my money's worth with that much game play, but that is just me :cool:

but my intent was always to provide a great gaming experience

Failed on all accounts. I'm sorry for whatever project he moves on to next, if he's learnt nothing from D3.

D3 may have been one of the biggest selling games of last year, but IMO that was solely because it was trading on the "Diablo" name. I paid for it based on that, and so did everyone I know that bought it. Had it not had that heritage it would been in the bargain bin a month after release.

McDonald's Sells billions of hamburgers. Clearly they are successful. BUT THEIR FOOD TASTES LIKE SHIT!

WoW/D3 has sold millions of copies. BUT THE GAMES ARE SHIT!

#1. Clearly billions of people would disagree with you as McDonald's is still doing business just fine.

#2 Clearly millions of people disagree with you since Blizzard is still doing just fine.

Your opinion is yours. Some people hate Blizz games others love them. Enough people love them to keep making them constantly. Wow subscriptions actually went up to about 10 million after MoP release. Name 1 other 8 year old game that has 10 million people playing it.

Claiming company X will fail because you don't like their game is naive at best. Diablo 3 and Wow are not for everyone. However there are enough people completely happy with the games to keep them coming.

None of this matters. People won't boycott anything any more. Not to piss anyone off but half of you "boycotters of Blizzard" are full of shit Same type of ppl telling everyone Call of Duty is rehashed since the Modern Warfare series began and to boycott, yet sales are through the roof every time one is released. Been doing this for a long, long time.

Nothing really ever changes with these big companys. WoW isn't even close to the game it was before BC. Nerfed to drag in profits, more ppl. Getting to level 40 to get your first mount was a huge feat. Actually having to set your skill set to your playability preference took trial and effort. Now its all set in stone for you. Battlegrounds where you had to upgrade your troops with scraps and releasing your own Titan to help turn the tide was a blast. Now Alterac Valley is a race, nothing more. If there was a game that should have died out, WoW should have after Wrath. They nerfed it to gain the 10+ year olds to keep those subs going.

Hey if you don't like it let it go. But no matter who is fired, the die has been set. Blizzard isn't going any where, just like the COD series developers.

None of this matters. People won't boycott anything any more. Not to piss anyone off but half of you "boycotters of Blizzard" are full of shit Same type of ppl telling everyone Call of Duty is rehashed since the Modern Warfare series began and to boycott, yet sales are through the roof every time one is released. Been doing this for a long, long time.

Nothing really ever changes with these big companys. WoW isn't even close to the game it was before BC. Nerfed to drag in profits, more ppl. Getting to level 40 to get your first mount was a huge feat. Actually having to set your skill set to your playability preference took trial and effort. Now its all set in stone for you. Battlegrounds where you had to upgrade your troops with scraps and releasing your own Titan to help turn the tide was a blast. Now Alterac Valley is a race, nothing more. If there was a game that should have died out, WoW should have after Wrath. They nerfed it to gain the 10+ year olds to keep those subs going.

Hey if you don't like it let it go. But no matter who is fired, the die has been set. Blizzard isn't going any where, just like the COD series developers.

You make some excellent points about how people don't vote with their wallets. The same problem exists with DLC. As hated as it is, it keeps selling so they will keep making. I do have to call BS on one thing you mention though.

You said Wow got nerfed... This is far from the truth. Most people who complain about Wow being too easy actually have never beat the most difficult content.

For example, 209 guilds in the entire world have finished the current content on the hardest difficulty. Lets assume they are all 25 man guild (which they are not) that would be slightly over 5000 players out of about 10 million. Thats less than 1% of the people who play Wow have actually beat the highest difficulty.

Yea, game is toooo easy.

For example, 209 guilds in the entire world have finished the current content on the hardest difficulty. Lets assume they are all 25 man guild (which they are not) that would be slightly over 5000 players out of about 10 million. Thats less than 1% of the people who play Wow have actually beat the highest difficulty.

Yea, game is toooo easy.

That assumes that all of those 10 million want to beat it.

Anyway this thread is about D3 - I played it - beat Diablo on the Inferno and quit. Saw no point after that since farming gets you nothing.

The D3 player base is in the deeo shitter and that's bad. Blizzard meant this to be a cash cow for quite a while and that is where it went so terribly wrong, and deservedly so.

You make some excellent points about how people don't vote with their wallets.The same problem exists with DLC. As hated as it is, it keeps selling so they will keep making. I do have to call BS on one thing you mention though.

You said Wow got nerfed... This is far from the truth. Most people who complain about Wow being too easy actually have never beat the most difficult content.

Yea, game is toooo easy.

I saw no point in hard mode, the gear was only marginally better than the normal mode. Seemed like a cheap gimmick to avoid having to create new content. Got sick of every other Raid being a re release as well.

I got D3 with my friends, we beat it once and never played again. Blizzard might be successful but I'd rather get my kicks else where. Honestly I'm thankful, I actually sleep instead of staying up till 4am dungeon crawling

I saw no point in hard mode, the gear was only marginally better than the normal mode.

This is a legitimate question. Do you think difficulty levels are a waste of time in games? Almost every game released has multiple difficulty options. Some people start on normal, some on easy. Some people try to beat all the difficulty settings, others play a game through once and then don't go back for a harder challenge.

I guess I don't understand why people hate on an MMO for providing a feature that is industry standard. Some people want to play through a game and don't want a challenge. Others want the game play to be brutally difficult.

2dt41m9.png

This is a legitimate question. Do you think difficulty levels are a waste of time in games? Almost every game released has multiple difficulty options. Some people start on normal, some on easy. Some people try to beat all the difficulty settings, others play a game through once and then don't go back for a harder challenge.

I guess I don't understand why people hate on an MMO for providing a feature that is industry standard. Some people want to play through a game and don't want a challenge. Others want the game play to be brutally difficult.

D3 is not an MMO and I don't think he was even referring to the difficulty as much as the re-playability...you really got side tracked there.

They put JW in charge, built a game around the rmah then added 99.99% shitty drops. They got exactly what they wanted, a one time huge money pit. Too bad they couldn't look beyond the quick greed and learn that in the long haul with a great game it could net you even more money.
Amen. Perfectly summarized.

I've never been so disappointed in a game in all my life. :( Diablo 2 was so good, the only reason I uninstalled it was because I played it too much. Diablo 3 was about as fun as doing homework - I uninstalled it because it was a waste of hard drive space.

There is absolutely no excuse for forcing a player who paid $60 to experience server lag and server outages while playing a game in SINGLE PLAYER. What in the hell were they thinking?

Amen. Perfectly summarized.

I've never been so disappointed in a game in all my life. :( Diablo 2 was so good, the only reason I uninstalled it was because I played it too much. Diablo 3 was about as fun as doing homework - I uninstalled it because it was a waste of hard drive space.

There is absolutely no excuse for forcing a player who paid $60 to experience server lag and server outages while playing a game in SINGLE PLAYER. What in the hell were they thinking?

That we were stupid enough to plunk it down.

They were right.

Diablo 3 is not as awful as stated in this forum by some. I do however agree that the AH and lack of player controlled character development kept it from being a truely great game.

I'd say the same. I see it as a 6/ 7 out of 10 game or just an average game. The lack of customization and simplified game mechanics killed off a lot of replayability.

Good riddance! Too bad it took this long. Bad part is he got transferred instead of being excised.

Good jay wilson is an ass, now fire Rob Pardo and rehire the diablo 2 writers and instead of telling the fans to f*ck off, try telling activision to.

I had the most fun with vanilla wow or maybe burning crusade. I still play wow, because frankly i havent found anything better. I agree the game has become a lot easier. quests are less frustrating, good gear is easily attainable. On vanilla wow it felt like a HUGE accomplishment just to get lvl 60. Then top tier gear was reserved for the few people that had ZERO life (grand marshall title) hand of sulfuras , etc.

I did a few molten core runs, but i never cared for the huge raids. Way to much hassle, work, organization to get 40 people online and on the same page. I had the most fun in 10 man raids like kara. more then 10 people and vent / chat gets to busy with useless chatter.

Hardcore people shouldnt cry that they made gear easier to obtain. Skill still makes the biggest difference. I do 2v2 arenas around 2200 rating, and once in awhile we face a 2700 team and just get completely creamed the minor difference in our gear isnt why we lose.

Back