Blizzard Promises Overwatch League Players at Least $50,000 Per Year

monkeymagick

[H]News
Blizzard released some details for its newly founded eSports organization for Overwatch. The company will guarantee a salary at a minimum of $50,000 per a year for its professional players on each Overwatch League teams. So far, the eSports league will feature a team based in seven different cities: five from the US, one each for China and South Korea. Each team must have at least six players and no more than twelve. New England's very own Robert Kraft has ownership of the Boston team.

Teams will be able to sign players for the league's inaugural season starting between August 1 and October 30. Finally, professional video game players won't have to starve to death or start their own line of hot sauce and will now have more time to hone their skills.

Overwatch League players will receive health insurance and retirement savings plans. Also, 50 percent of all performance-based bonuses (winnings from playoffs and special events) must go to a team's players. Total available bonuses in the first season will amount to $3.5 million.

Teams will receive an equal share of all league-wide net revenues that come through things like advertising, ticket sales, and broadcast rights revenues. Teams will also get to keep all local revenues that they generate up to a set, undisclosed amount each year. After they reach that set amount, that money goes to the league's shared revenue pool. Each team can also hold up to five amateur, local events each year.

With Kraft behind the Boston team, watch what happens with esports! This is great for gaming! lol I wonder how in depth co-ordinaters will coach strategies if it gets that in-depth.

I dunno how I feel about this. There was already a recent report among young intelligent men who have hampered their development into the working world by becoming gaming hermits, and this only seeks to encourage that by offering a livable wage in the process. But it's only temporary. If some guy actually decides to become a progamer what happens to him after 4 or 5 years when he has absolutely no skills in anything and he's 26 trying to get a real job? It's not like the 50k salary has him set for life or something by that point. If these guys had true celebrity status and made millions thats one thing, but 50k is just like regular avg income.

I dunno how I feel about this. There was already a recent report among young intelligent men who have hampered their development into the working world by becoming gaming hermits, and this only seeks to encourage that by offering a livable wage in the process. But it's only temporary. If some guy actually decides to become a progamer what happens to him after 4 or 5 years when he has absolutely no skills in anything and he's 26 trying to get a real job? It's not like the 50k salary has him set for life or something by that point. If these guys had true celebrity status and made millions thats one thing, but 50k is just like regular avg income.

I 100% agree!!!

Who cares? It is not like this will ruin the lives of millions of kids. In the end they made the choice. If they didn't plan their future better it is on them. What is another few hundred to leech of the system anyway? The youth today have far greater issues today that will fuck up their lives far more then some video games.

The idea of a career for life is pretty much dead. If someone can make 50k doing something they like, good for them. Probably more then a lot of minor league baseball players make. At some point, the players will face having to find a new career. The smart ones will have saved some of their earnings and taken classes toward a career after sports. The dumb ones will probably move back in with their parents.

At the same time, "Cash me Ousside" girl is on pace to be a millionaire for acting like an idiot on a nationally televised talk show.

This is just the guaranteed minimum salary teams must provide. League of legends and DOTA already provide salary minimums as well. Players that stand out earn far more. This isn't comparable to that article in the least. Like it it not, esports is a real career with real salaries and many of these kids make more in a year than you do.

At the same time, "Cash me Ousside" girl is on pace to be a millionaire for acting like an idiot on a nationally televised talk show.
Well gather the rabid feminist to rail against the wage gap you know! Oh wait!!!!!!............... ;p

Back