Blizzard Helps Cops Track Down WoW Player

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you play World of Warcraft, you might want to avoid a life of crime because, although you think you are anonymous online, you aren’t. Making matters worse, Blizzard will hand your information over to the authorities in a heartbeat. :eek:

Blizzard did more than cooperate. It gave Roberson everything he needed to track down Hightower, including his IP address, his account information and history, his billing address, and even his online screen name and preferred server. From there it was a simple matter to zero in on the suspect’s location.

Blizzard did more than cooperate. It gave Roberson everything he needed to track down Hightower, including his IP address, his account information and history, his billing address, and even his online screen name and preferred server. From there it was a simple matter to zero in on the suspect’s location.

“I did a search off the IP address to locate him,” said Roberson. “I got a longitude and latitude. Then I went to Google Earth. It works wonders. It uses longitude and latitude. Boom! I had an address. I was not able to go streetside at the location, but I had him.”

....what? Way to leave out more for the story :p

I lol'ed at the Figureprints preview model of his WoW character. Looks like a real hardened criminal with that Competitor's Tabard (2008 Olympics special event tabard).

I'm sure the Chinese government will be happy to know they can count on Blizzard to turn over customers information for the next time they crack down on thought crimes.

so this is supposed to be about people getting mad at blizzard for obeying the will of the us marshals? i dont know about you, but if im wanted by those guys i wouldnt be within 100ft of an internet connection- let alone be a regular player of wow.

....what? Way to leave out more for the story :p

..personally, I like to pick a nice juicy quote so that people actually decide for themselves whether or not to read the content I am linking. Besides, nothing is worse than having someone"quote" the whole story leaving no reason for the reader to click the link ;)

..personally, I like to pick a nice juicy quote so that people actually decide for themselves whether or not to read the content I am linking. Besides, nothing is worse than having someone"quote" the whole story leaving no reason for the reader to click the link ;)

Oh no, not you. The people who published the story and the method the Marshall (w/e) used to find the criminal. Just doing an I.P search like the officer did won't just give him an exact address from what I understand. So aside from the address history Blizzard provided, he probably got alot more help than mentioned.

LOL Steve! I like it when people rant about an article you linked without reading it, and make themselves look like tools!!!

does anyone know if blizzard has it in their ToS that they can openly give all that information away without a warrant of some kind?

I don't play WoW but knowing Blizzard, they like to work around their own system; a buddy of mine got banned for swearing in a city channel even though it wasn't a bannable offense.

Thank you for contacting the World of Warcraft Game Master Department.

Petition: I'd like to speak with a GM (soon if possible) about all of these people reporting me for "verbal abuse." I would also like tips on how to avoid these idiot 12 year olds that keep their profanity filters OFF just to report me, and then make a new toon to harrass me when I /ignore them. Something needs to be done and I'm tired of getting emails from Blizzard saying that *I* am the one abusing other people.

Answer: We have a filter as a first line of protection against offensive or inappropriate language, but this does not mean that we allow it within the World of Warcraft. The game is for all ages, and we want it to be a player friendly environment. You can check the policies if you are confused as to what is considered appropriate speech on the chat lines, in says, yells, and whispers. I highly recommend that you review these policies at http://www.blizzard.com/support/wowgm/?id=agm01712p

Isn't the game rated T for Teen?

Crap, didn't mean to double post...

Isn't the game rated T for Teen? If you're offended by someone saying "crap" or "shit" (which my buddy got a warning email for much like the above) then should you even be near an environment like that at all? Or are people that play WoW just a bunch of stuck up prudes who are... you know what? Nevermind. Everyone that plays WoW is either a 12 year old, someone who prefers masturbation to human contact, or a middle-aged neckbeard.

Forget I said anything guys... continue on, nothing to see here.

I'm sure glad Blizzard stepped in to help the police catch this dangerous WoW-playing marijuana dealer. We can't have people running around Azeroth with REEFER MADNESS.

Oh my GOD, those evil drug dealers, selling people MARIJUANA and SCHEDULE III and IV DRUGS!!

Go to Amazon.com, type in "war on drugs" and read a book/watch a documentary or two on American Drug Policy. You WILL immediately rethink your position on all things related to drugs.

Oh, and by the way, Alcohol is a mind-altering drug, just in case you didn't know. If you've ever gotten drunk, you've used drugs.

What a fucking waste of time. Fuck the war on drugs and fuck the cops that spent so many tax dollars trying to catch this guy.

i'm not sure what's worse: that all that effort was made to catch what appears to be a low level dealer or the fact the most serious drug on that list (under U.S. Laws) is Marijuana, the only schedule 1 drug. Seems like a waste of resources and time. Let the canadians keep him, instead of paying for extradition, lawyers and 50k (or more)/year to put the guy in jail.

Oh my GOD, those evil drug dealers, selling people MARIJUANA and SCHEDULE III and IV DRUGS!!

Go to Amazon.com, type in "war on drugs" and read a book/watch a documentary or two on American Drug Policy. You WILL immediately rethink your position on all things related to drugs.

Oh, and by the way, Alcohol is a mind-altering drug, just in case you didn't know. If you've ever gotten drunk, you've used drugs.

But...but... I get drunk, not high!

i'm not sure what's worse: that all that effort was made to catch what appears to be a low level dealer or the fact the most serious drug on that list (under U.S. Laws) is Marijuana, the only schedule 1 drug. Seems like a waste of resources and time. Let the canadians keep him, instead of paying for extradition, lawyers and 50k (or more)/year to put the guy in jail.

It has to do with the incredible stigma placed on Cannabis, opium, and cocaine over the years.

Cocaine - black man's drug, used to rape white women
Opium - Chinese man's drug, used to rape white women
Marijuana - Mexican man's drug, makes them steal from white men, and... rape white women
Alcohol - White man's drug, acceptable

It's no coincidence that Alcohol has remained untouched since 1933, while everything else has become illegal. Our current drug policy has 100% to do with racism and xenophobia.

Nice. Remind me not to play Blizzard games. Sad that they gave up so easily. I like the companies that demand a warrant before they give up anything.

Even if he was a terrorist, you can't pick and choose who you sell out for...

Because the article said that he had 4 D.U.I.'s that he was running from as well. No? Oh, just drugs. Drugs are the greatest thing to happen to this country. Weed smokers are the reason this country is so wonderful. Sense my sarcasm? Would you rather have our police tracking down that neighbor of yours who keeps letting the dog shit in your yard? I am sure you will quote some glorious independent film that shows our governments f'ed up the war on drugs and how lopsided it is like we didn't already know but drugs are illegal for a reason, and it isn't because cops have a good time slamming the harmless weed smokers of America on the cold pavement.

Get a clue and good job getting off topic.

It has to do with the incredible stigma placed on Cannabis, opium, and cocaine over the years.

Marijuana - Mexican man's drug, makes them steal from white men, and... rape white women

It's no coincidence that Alcohol has remained untouched since 1933, while everything else has become illegal. Our current drug policy has 100% to do with racism and xenophobia.

Alcohol is also used to rape white women.

well, marijuana is classified as schedule 1. it is considered the same thing as pcp, ghb, and crystal meth. so, since thats true, this is a huge deal:rolleyes:

Because the article said that he had 4 D.U.I.'s that he was running from as well. No? Oh, just drugs. Drugs are the greatest thing to happen to this country. Weed smokers are the reason this country is so wonderful. Sense my sarcasm? Would you rather have our police tracking down that neighbor of yours who keeps letting the dog shit in your yard? I am sure you will quote some glorious independent film that shows our governments f'ed up the war on drugs and how lopsided it is like we didn't already know but drugs are illegal for a reason, and it isn't because cops have a good time slamming the harmless weed smokers of America on the cold pavement.

I didn't say D.U.I.'s weren't bad, and yes, he deserves doing time for that.

If you're not aware that (trying) to prohibit drugs does far more harm than simply educating people about them, and setting up programs to help those who use them, is more harmful for everyone, then I can't help you.

Do your research like I said. There's material out there written by ex-judges, ex-police officers, ex-government officials... people who aren't just "some guy"

well, marijuana is classified as schedule 1. it is considered the same thing as pcp, ghb, and crystal meth. so, since thats true, this is a huge deal:rolleyes:

And just the fact that the government thinks those things should be equated with each other tells you that they have absolutely no idea what they're doing.

I didn't say D.U.I.'s weren't bad, and yes, he deserves doing time for that.

If you're not aware that (trying) to prohibit drugs does far more harm than simply educating people about them, and setting up programs to help those who use them, is more harmful for everyone, then I can't help you.

Do your research like I said. There's material out there written by ex-judges, ex-police officers, ex-government officials... people who aren't just "some guy"

This thread has gone completely off the rails and I assume Steve is rolling on the ground at this point.

I have done some research, not necessarily in your particular area but enough to know that I am of thought that these substances are controlled. Alcohol used to be controlled. We all know what happened in the 30's when they lost that battle (due to ease of access to the substance, simple production methods, etc...) and prohibition was lifted. Now, we have tens of thousands of alcohol related deaths just when it comes to vehicles not including medical complications with long term use of the drug, alcohol. My thought process is that if we give an inch, we give a mile and then there will be more drug related death and violence because we found it too inconvenient to track down and prosecute the offenders. Have you ever known anyone killed by a drunk driver? That is just my thought process.

No, you get a fucking clue. They're illegal because Drug Companies and Christians don't like them. Give me a different reason that's acceptable, but I doubt you have one.

/endstory

No, you get a fucking clue. They're illegal because Drug Companies and Christians don't like them. Give me a different reason that's acceptable, but I doubt you have one.

/endstory

Replace tin foil hat, get back to your own WoW session.

This thread has gone completely off the rails and I assume Steve is rolling on the ground at this point.

I have done some research, not necessarily in your particular area but enough to know that I am of thought that these substances are controlled. Alcohol used to be controlled. We all know what happened in the 30's when they lost that battle (due to ease of access to the substance, simple production methods, etc...) and prohibition was lifted. Now, we have tens of thousands of alcohol related deaths just when it comes to vehicles not including medical complications with long term use of the drug, alcohol. My thought process is that if we give an inch, we give a mile and then there will be more drug related death and violence because we found it too inconvenient to track down and prosecute the offenders. Have you ever known anyone killed by a drunk driver? That is just my thought process.

All Prohibition did was shit on the Constitution and encourage bootlegging and organized crime. It was lifted because it was deemed UNCONSTITUTIONAL

LOL Steve! I like it when people rant about an article you linked without reading it, and make themselves look like tools!!!

You're not very bright are you.

I wasn't ranting about what Steve quoted. I'm ranting at the fact that the article left out what I feel is info that wasn't included. I read it word for word before I posted the first time ;)

All Prohibition did was shit on the Constitution and encourage bootlegging and organized crime. It was lifted because it was deemed UNCONSTITUTIONAL

Somebody failed history class. There is no question of constitutionality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeal_of_Prohibition

People simply realized the Prohibition laws were doing more harm than good. The 21st Amendment repealed the 18th Amendment. The article goes on to state that most states approved the repeal with the rider that they still be allowed to vote locally on whether alcohol consumption is legal or not. Remember the county in Kentucky where they make Jack Daniels? It is a dry county, and has been for years.

Why would you post something so ignorant? Speechless...

No, it wasn't. It was repealed. IIRC the constitutionality of it wasn't ever even challenged in court.

Never really thought about it like that...

Another person in jail for a victimless crime. God I love this country.

How can you deem it victimless?
How do you know there weren't any complications from drugs he dealt?

I'm not taking sides but if he was indeed dealing in Schedule III and IV drugs (Anything from steroids to prescriptions meds) it's a big deal.

You can argue the merits of legalizing marijuana on both sides, but I cannot find a valid reason for allowing abuse of prescription drugs.

For those interested here's a listing from the DEA on the schedules narcotics.

http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/scheduling.html

Back