Blizzard Financials; WoW Down to 6.8M Subs

Just a few posts back you were advocating for 2 raid locks per week. You do realize that 2 locks per week would INCREASE the demand the game would have on people, right?

Everyone plays games at different speeds. Sometimes you want to play for hours and sometimes you just want to do something else. If you happen to be in the mood to farm gear through raids then do it. You never had that moment when you said you'll play a game for a short time and then suddenly half the day is gone?

In WoW you can't do that, as the game paces you. Cleared the raid today? Well then come back next week on Tuesday and you can do it again. Doing lots of PvP today? Too bad you maxed your weekly conquest points cap.

This shit forces you to come back day by day or week by week to finish something in the game. The other reason for it is to keep you paying that monthly fee. Cause if I didn't have that weekly or daily lock out system, I'd have everything done in the game within a week. Then I could move onto other things like making a custom stereo for my Vette that uses Android.

I am really enjoying WoW again and looking forward to the next expansion! Sub numbers are fine.

They're coasting on past glory, and their past glory was such that they have a lot of momentum to dissipate. They're a lot like the United States itself in that way.

Al had a July 20th posting about this topic.. and I wrote the following in that thread..

According to Raptr, for the past few months the trend isn't looking too good..

Mar, 2014 - 9.36%
Apr, 2014 - 8.56%
May, 2014 - 7.74%
Jun, 2014 - 6.13%

I quit WoW because I was tried of seeing PVP/PVE gear thrown away at the next level at the expansions greens. In TBC I had my tier 3 gear it lasted all the way to Level 70. Now its like oh Heroic T25 gear from the final boss oh this green fetch quest item is better. That and all the classes play the same now. I tried playing a little bit in MoP and it was pretty boring.

I quit WoW because I was tried of seeing PVP/PVE gear thrown away at the next level at the expansions greens. In TBC I had my tier 3 gear it lasted all the way to Level 70. Now its like oh Heroic T25 gear from the final boss oh this green fetch quest item is better.

Yeah that bugs me too. At this point, it happens not just every expansion, but every raid tier. Everything but the very very last raid tier is 100% abandoned now, because you can just do a few daily quests and/or kill a few world bosses and get better gear than comes from any of the earlier raids. I liked it better before. I remember in TBC, even at the end of TBC when T6 was current, someone in full T4 was still considered to be decently geared.

But to their credit, they are directly addressing this and it is one of the main reasons behind the item squish in WoD. I'm amazed, they are actually addressing a lot of real issues in WoD. They are cutting back CC dramatically also, etc. It will be interesting to see if they get it right or not.

I quit WoW because I was tried of seeing PVP/PVE gear thrown away at the next level at the expansions greens. In TBC I had my tier 3 gear it lasted all the way to Level 70. Now its like oh Heroic T25 gear from the final boss oh this green fetch quest item is better. That and all the classes play the same now. I tried playing a little bit in MoP and it was pretty boring.

That killed PVE for me. Well a few things killed PVE for me, there was that, there was the endless farming for tokens instead of the joy/nerdrage disappointment when something I needed did/didn't drop, and the looking for dungeon/raid tool that lumped a bunch of people from different servers together automatically with little to no chance of seeing the same people again. That brought out a lot of asshattery.

World of warcraft made me so much money back in vanila days. I had a full tier 1 warlock with a azuresong mageblade that i sold for over 3500 dollars. Then i had another account with a decent warrior with the Untamed blade and misc other peices that netted 2500... Then ebay went and fked it up by making account selling illegal...

the looking for dungeon/raid tool that lumped a bunch of people from different servers together automatically with little to no chance of seeing the same people again. That brought out a lot of asshattery.

Well, that was fixed by Bllizzard using a personal loot rolls. So noone cal ninja your loot and you can do a bonus roll for the boss you expect to drop the item you need.

Do people honestly expect to re-use old tier raiding gear and carry it into the next expansion?
Whoever compared T4 to T6 - you gotta be kidding me. First, it was the gear from the same expansion. T4 was itel level 120, T6 was item level 146-160. Yeah, pretty close, but I woudn't call that viable and that's still 1.5 times the power of the top vanilla raid gear.

Well, that was fixed by Bllizzard using a personal loot rolls. So noone cal ninja your loot and you can do a bonus roll for the boss you expect to drop the item you need.

Do people honestly expect to re-use old tier raiding gear and carry it into the next expansion?
Whoever compared T4 to T6 - you gotta be kidding me. First, it was the gear from the same expansion. T4 was itel level 120, T6 was item level 146-160. Yeah, pretty close, but I woudn't call that viable and that's still 1.5 times the power of the top vanilla raid gear.

Having not ever touching a modern dungeon since about 1/3 of the way through cata I can't comment on such a roll system but the asshattery wasn't limited to jacking gear.

As far as gear lasting, yea some people expect that but I'd say the less extreme general consensus is that the top gear of the last raid or dungeon becoming obsolete with the blues of the new dungeons is a little much. Again, I haven't had any experience with the last expansion so it may be better but from Wrath to cata the dungeon/raid progression ensured that there was virtually no need to visit the previous raids as the new 5mans had better gear than the 10/25 man raids previously released.

The next expansion will introduce "item squish", which is supposed to make transition between levels mo linear. No more 100+ item level difference between top level raid tier vs next expansion greens.

Well, again I would not agree with 'no need to visit previous raids'. First, there are achievements. Second, there are rare mounts (ashes of alar, onyxia's mount, etc), items (eye of ragnaros) and armor/weapons you can use to transmog your gear. I still have my T3 paladin and T1 warlock sets stashed. But progression wise, yeah, they are irrelevant.

If they cancel their account then they have nothing to show for all that virtual time/grind and money they spent on it.

The sad part is even with an active account they don't REALLY have anything to show for it.

I feel funny about having invested in a couple of ships for Star Citizen. At least that will likely be the bulk of my investment in it though. Depending on how much time I'm able to allot to it, I may end up buy some credits here or there, but still, in comparison to a long time WoW player... That's peanuts...

Back