Blizzard Finally Introduces Native Voice Chat Across All Its Games

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Blizzard gamers have an alternative to Skype or Ventrilo now, as the company has launched a built-in voice chat service. The article claims that the voice quality is “remarkable,” but you can judge for yourself by simply updating Battle.net to get the feature.

The company has been trying to introduce some form of voice chat into its ecosystem for a while now. There’s been a decent but limited voice chat implementation in World of Warcraft for a long time, but that was only available inside of the MMORPG. But as of right now, everyone using the latest version of the Battle.net app can jump in and use voice chat with friends across all of Blizzard’s titles – and outside of them as well. All a user needs to do is update the Battle.net app to version 1.5.1, Build 8098, or newer. After logging in, you’ll be prompted with a new pop-up informing users that Voice Chat is now available. To enable it, simply head over to the friends list, create a channel with some friends and click on headphone icon.

but what is the point in it.

discord is so easy to use has way more features, and even for those not willing to install the app, can just simply run it from their browser.

i tried the blizzard voice chat, quality is good but is very bare bones in comparison to the likes of discord which has a ton more features.

DisneyNoCurr.gif

Disabled instantly.

The last thing I want to hear is the random mouth breathers I'm matched with in D3. Honestly I despise native voice apps. They are never very good, there is no moderation and usually poorly implemented. Even though discord is one of the worst third party apps and I have no idea why anyone uses it, it is still a far cry better than native anything.

Is it 2004 already? I didn't think Elon Musk made time travel?

I know what everyone is thinking, but will it work in Linux?

Fully agree with previous discussions regarding native voice apps and Discord. I'd also like to add that while in Blizzards app, which is separate from the in-game voice chat for WoW, you create a channel which only YOU can add people to. And those people have to be in your Battle.net friends list to do so. I've been using Ventrilo and Teamspeak for as long as they've been around and they were a thousand times more functional and clear Day 1 when compared to Blizzard's latest attempt.

Five of us tried using the new app while doing dungeon runs. Whether open mic or click-to-talk, we constantly had voice blackouts and inconsistent communications. Switched back to our Vent server for one, and even tried Discord for another, without encountering one missed heavy breath (purposely done for that full LFR experience lol) from our healer.

I don't play any of these games so can't comment on them directly. However that is one thing I have always considered a plus about console vs pc gaming. Not having to worry about having different methods for talking to the people I am gaming with. Can just rely on the in game / in console stuff. As opposed to keeping multiple programs around to know that if playing with these people I want to use this, if playing with these people I want to use this instead... If working correct, I personally would prefer to use something in game as opposed to being forced to use separate programs. That said it sounds like it isn't working correctly, which is a problem.

Back