Blizzard Faces Hellish Backlash after BlizzCon Diablo Mobile Reveal

Untitled-1-copy.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, put the frog in the cool water, then turn up the heat.

It is more business then gaming now.

I often wondered what Activision/Blizzard were doing with all the money WoW made they certainly did not invest in better content or top notch gaming engine.
Most of the games are more of the same and certain things are just different name same shit.

I could play hours and hours of one on one basketball on my commodore 64 :)

Business is severely screwing with people's gaming and not the other way around. games for shareholders not for gaming. Unless gaming becomes for gamers again it is not worth having any kind of hope for the industry that ones thrived so well when it was about games and not about money.

Well shovelware is what caused the gaming collapse in the 80s but now that the industry is worldwide, they know they're immune to it because developing countries with new middle class gamers like China/India etc will lap up F2P mobile games and then happily pay for microtransactions. There's also demographics to consider, the latest generation of gamers (12-25 yrs old) grew up on microtransactions so they don't know any other way of gaming. Blizzard giving desktop gamers the middle finger is just a continuation of what every other big publisher does, just look at Take 2/Rockstar with RDR2, they are holding back the PC release just to milk consoles and then have you buy the same game again on the PC like they did with GTA V. It's pretty disgusting so the best thing to do is just pirate the fuck out of their games when they do release it on PC and keep supporting indy devs w/your cash and hope they don't turn their backs on you eventually when they get big.

no existing fans, and and I mean no one wants to play a AAA IP on a mobile game as its only option.

fuck right off blizzard and fire the team that came up with this and okayed it.

no existing fans, and and I mean no one wants to play a AAA IP on a mobile game as its only option.

fuck right off blizzard and fire the team that came up with this and okayed it.

They can't fire themselves.

Listen, the deal went like this:

Developer: "We have a great new idea for both Diablo 2 remaster & Diablo 4".

Actiblizzion: "Can we monetize it?"

Developer: "No, but the player base & fans will love it!"

Actiblizzion: "Get out!" "Next!"

And now you know the story.
giphy.gif

search

Maybe I've been out of the Blizzard realm for some time, but what's the issue with a mobile/Switch version of Diablo? Is it simply because it's not what everyone thought they wanted?

Maybe I've been out of the Blizzard realm for some time, but what's the issue with a mobile/Switch version of Diablo? Is it simply because it's not what everyone thought they wanted?

The switch version is fine. Hell even Diablo 1 was on Playstation & it was fantastic.

Mobile however is an obvious money grab catered to the Chinese audience. On top of that, nobody asked for it. Nobody & nobody wants to play a game like Diablo on a tiny screen with their thumbs. The issue is, Blizzard could give two shits of what you & and everybody else wants. All they care about at this point is making as much money with as little effort as possible. No creativity, No inspiring concept, no thought process, just fast easy money, and they'll get it, they'll get it because people are stupid & the trend will continue.

The switch version is fine. Hell even Diablo 1 was on Playstation & it was fantastic.

Mobile however is an obvious money grab catered to the Chinese audience. On top of that, nobody asked for it. Nobody & nobody wants to play a game like Diablo on a tiny screen with their thumbs. The issue is, Blizzard could give two shits of what you & and everybody else wants. All they care about at this point is making as much money with as little effort as possible.

A beloved franchise which has been a cornerstone to "hardcore" PC gaming. And it's a reskin of another game... on mobile. And what makes it worse is that Blizzard wins. Really, it doesn't even matter how disrespectful it is. They win by default because gaming is so big right now, that all you have to do is 1. have a bit of fame (, legacy, notoriety, respect, whatever) 2. Release anything (including redshell spyware, MTX, reskin, mobile) 3. ???? 4. Profit. They threw their best at that formula.

Thanks folks.. That's about confirmed the gist I got. Since I am only a stockholder, and hadn't touched a Blizzard game in years, I'll keep out of the brouhaha. hashtag-DGAF

As you know, Blizzard is not, and hasn't ever been, a PC only gaming company. Mobile is just another gaming platform--one that millions of people use as their primary entertainment platform. D3 is on no less than seven platforms currently.

This isn't even the full extent of what they've got in store for their "fans":
“We have said that we have multiple Diablo teams working on multiple Diablo projects and that remains true, even after releasing [Diablo 3 for Nintendo] Switch and announcing Diablo: Immortal,” Adham said. “We still have multiple Diablo teams working on multiple unannounced Diablo projects. Diablo is a tentpole franchise for us. And it always will be. We love it. We hope our fans understand what we’re saying when we say that.”

Do the people in this thread strike you as understanding what a "tentpole franchise" is?
It's obvious they have no clue (and dollars to doughnuts they're going to confuse political "tentpole" with entertainment "tentpole"--one being inclusiveness and the other relating to driving funding/innovation). As an investor I'd think you'd be extremely pleased they've made this move.

I don't even play Diablo 3 and this pisses me off.

I would have been happy to hear that they were coming out with an expansion or something. Hell, having a Diablo cereal would have been better news. Then again I'm a fatass, so there's that.

I'd say the biggest problem here is how they announced it. Making it a major announcement at the end of Blizzcon is just asking for trouble.
I get that they did it at Blizzcon for the press coverage, but you can't make it the main focus for your fans as well, knowing this isn't what they want.

In comparison, when Bethesda announced the mobile Elder Scroll at E3, they also gave the fans what they wanted, the confirmation of Elder Scroll 6.
By the end of the event, people are talking about games like Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls 6.
Most fans don't pay attention to the mobile ES which is expected, but they get the E3 press coverage that they wanted. Everyone is happy.

Blizzard is either very dumb, or arrogant, to not have predicted how the fans would react, and find ways to mitigate it.

it used to be a pc first company...
How can you be upset at a studio you don't even know the history of?

Blizzard was not a PC first company. They didn't even make PC games for the first four years of the company's existence. Their first games came out on consoles and, in terms of Diablo, D2 was and remains the only version that *wasn't* on consoles.

The only franchise that has been PC-centric is Warcraft, which apparently no one here gives a shit about because that's where all the meat on the bone of this BlizzCon was at: patch 8.1, 8.2, WoW Classic (which these money-grubbing a-holes are giving away!), and a Warcraft III re-release.

As far as knowing their fan base, they have been very clear on the fact they know their fans are extremely passionate and that they often have to lead them to water. The article I cited above referenced the Hearthstone reaction, which as we all should know by know has turned out to be a resounding success (and also mainly intended as a mobile game).

Blizzard was not a PC first company. They didn't even make PC games for the first four years of the company's existence. Their first games came out on consoles and, in terms of Diablo, D2 was and remains the only version that *wasn't* on consoles.

The only franchise that has been PC-centric is Warcraft, which apparently no one here gives a shit about because that's where all the meat on the bone of this BlizzCon was at: patch 8.1, 8.2, WoW Classic (which these money-grubbing a-holes are giving away!), and a Warcraft III re-release.

As far as knowing their fan base, they have been very clear on the fact they know their fans are extremely passionate and that they often have to lead them to water. The article I cited above referenced the Hearthstone reaction, which as we all should know by know has turned out to be a resounding success (and also mainly intended as a mobile game).
thnx wiki... :rolleyes:
3 console games, then a bunch of pc games then ports to console is what I remember and what I based that statement on. been playing their games since R&R but im not getting all high and mighty, just high.
and who said I was mad, huh?!

thnx wiki... :rolleyes:
3 console games, then a bunch of pc games then ports to console is what I remember and what I based that statement on. been playing their games since R&R but im not getting all high and mighty, just high.
and who said I was mad, huh?!
A "bunch" of PC games? You mean Warcraft? That's the only PC-centric franchise they are known for. Diablo hasn't ever been known as a hardcore gaming franchise, let alone PC only.

And as for Activision, I don't think I've even ever played an Activision PC game. Haven't those guys been console devs for the better part of 40 years now?

A "bunch" of PC games? You mean Warcraft? That's the only PC-centric franchise they are known for. Diablo hasn't ever been known as a hardcore gaming franchise, let alone PC only.

And as for Activision, I don't think I've even ever played an Activision PC game. Haven't those guys been console devs for the better part of 40 years now?

blizzard has made more pc games than console(4 console only), even including as S&Sinc and ported a bunch of games to pc before that. they started as a pc port company so...
oh and dont forget starcraft...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Blizzard_Entertainment_games
edit: we are not talking about activision but that is correct, primarily a console company.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Activision_video_games

blizzard has made more pc games than console(4 console only), even including as S&Sinc and ported a bunch of games to pc before that. they started as a pc port company so...
You claimed they started out as a PC gaming company. That's false and the link you posted completely refutes your claim. The only franchise that's true is Warcraft. Even Starcraft isn't a PC only franchise.

Ok, so they're PC centric and all of their big hits in the past 20+ years have been on PC. Does that satisfy you?
No, because they aren't PC-centric. That's just something you guys are ginning up and it's completely false.

You guys are literally pissing yourselves off with misinformation, lmfao. You're trolling yourselves.

For the past ten of those twenty years they've been "Activision-Blizzard." Activision...a console company since the 70's.

Blizzard Entertainment is an American video game developer and publisher based in Irvine, California. The company was founded in February 1991 under the name Silicon & Synapse by Michael Morhaime, Frank Pearce and Allen Adham. The company initially concentrated on the creation of computer ports of other studios' games, released in 1992 and 1993, as well RPM Racing (1991), a remake of Racing Destruction Set (1985).

you started the argument and im right.
Wait...so you just quoted wikipedia stating under no uncertain terms that the first three years of Blizzard's existence they *only* did console ports and you conclude that you're correct in concluding they are a "pc first company?"

How old are you?

edit: we are not talking about activision but that is correct, primarily a console company.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Activision_video_games
Starcraft, as I noted already, was on a console!

Blizzard did not port games from consoles to the PC. You can verify this by cross-referencing the list of games they released...note that no PC games were released before 1994 and even of the ones that were released on PC, the only one that was released on PC first was...Warcraft. The one franchise that has remained PC only (as I already mentioned). They did not "port a bunch of games to PC before that," you're just making that up.

I already linked a video interview of the founders themselves. They explain the games they were playing that inspired their console games (not the other way around).

Last edited:
they made three console games while they ported 10 games to pc, the a bunch of pc games. look at the time line and port list. how old? why want to get more insulting?

edit: and I meant pc comes first, for the majority of their existence.
edit: two. nice fucking ninja edit up there. they ported games to pc, its not noted where they started.

No, because they aren't PC-centric. That's just something you guys are ginning up and it's completely false.

You guys are literally pissing yourselves off with misinformation, lmfao. You're trolling yourselves.

For the past ten of those twenty years they've been "Activision-Blizzard." Activision...a console company since the 70's.

Oh, the rumors abound that they are truly taken over by Activision these days. They were given great leeway from Activision until recently (namely bnet having Destiny2 and Blops4). But it is hilarious that you cite their parent company for ten years and ignore their whole catalog now as developers. When people think of Blizzard they don't think of Activision. They sure as hell didn't think of Blizzard as Vivendi. Again, what have been their big hits? Warcraft2/3, Diablo1/2/3, WoW, Starcraft1/2 all PC games first.

Oh, the rumors abound that they are truly taken over by Activision these days. They were given great leeway from Activision until recently (namely bnet having Destiny2 and Blops4). But it is hilarious that you cite their parent company for ten years and ignore their whole catalog now as developers. When people think of Blizzard they don't think of Activision. They sure as hell didn't think of Blizzard as Vivendi. Again, what have been their big hits? Warcraft2/3, Diablo1/2/3, WoW, Starcraft1/2 all PC games first.
The only franchise in that list that is PC-only (or even PC-centric, whatever that means) is Warcraft.

exactly! thanks for saving me some typing.

The only franchise in that list that is PC-only is Warcraft.
im not arguing that ffs. they were all developed for pc then ported later. again go look at the timeline in the wiki I posted, write it down if youre having comprehension issues. they have been pc game dev since 94ish

I can tell you exactly what's wrong with that.

It's basically like this .... you take a jack hammer down to the base of a large dam, a very large damn

I tell you what. Go take you little phone ... find yourself a nice little comfy spot on your bed, pull out your debit card, do some finger exercises to warm those fingers and wrists up ( you did get the memo that with a mobile game, there is no controller and the screen is tiny as fuck right? ) and then you can play all the simplistic micro-transactions infected games you want. Spend all your money .... knock yourself out.

In the mean while, if you're going to come in here and defend this company and tell us their behavior is OK .... please don't. It isn't. We need PC advocates, not excuse makers for the mobile game scene.

You're a mobile game enabler and that attitude is not going to fly around here. Mobile games are the excuse bigger companies are giving gamers to fire all of their employees to maximize profits. They destroy this hollowed and beloved community of PC gamers.

Give no quarter. You need to have this attitude or you're one of them and just not welcomed.

Also, how can you compare Hearthstone to a re-skinned POS Chinese game? They aren't even on the same planet.

just look at Take 2/Rockstar with RDR2, they are holding back the PC release just to milk consoles and then have you buy the same game again on the PC like they did with GTA V. It's pretty disgusting so the best thing to do is just pirate the fuck out of their games when they do release it on PC
As if everyone wouldn't be "pirating the fuck out of" RDR2 exactly the same had it released same day as consoles.

Last edited:
im not arguing that ffs. they were all developed for pc then ported later. again go look at the timeline in the wiki I posted, write it down if youre having comprehension issues. they have been pc game dev since 94ish
Calm your tits.

If a game comes out in 1998 for the PC, 1999 on a Mac, and 2000 on a console...surprise it was developed like that all along!

I dun know, I stayed up 3 days strait playing D2 when it came out. Thats pretty hardcore. Can't say that I would do that with a mobile game. "Phone battery is almost dead, fuck it im going to bed".

wow ignorant and insulting when wrong. have fun.
You are literally the only person being insulting in this thread. The only reason I asked your age is because you seem to be getting your history from wikipedia whereas I was in my 20s during the mid-90s. But I didn't say anything about your age and I didn't insult you over your age. I just asked how old you were because if I'm arguing with a 20 year old then it would explain a lot of why you are so confused about this history.

Let's take the first one on the list for example, Battle Chess:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Chess

Interplay released it on PC and Blizzard ported it for the Commodore 64.

You are literally the only person being insulting in this thread. The only reason I asked your age is because you seem to be getting your history from wikipedia whereas I was in my 20s during the mid-90s. But I didn't say anything about your age and I didn't insult you over your age. I just asked how old you were because if I'm arguing with a 20 year old then it would explain a lot of why you are so confused about this history.

Let's take the first one on the list for example, Battle Chess:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Chess

Interplay released it on PC and Blizzard ported it for the Commodore 64.
click my name youll see I dont hide much and you can do the math for my age in the mid 90s. and as far as I know, and the links shows the same, the C64 was in fact a personal computer.
edit: im done with the off topic. you want to think you win go for it.

edit: im done with the off topic. you want to think you win go for it.
There was nothing to "win" here. You treating this thread like a prize to be argued, fought, and won over is a large part of why it devolved into a shitshow. This was in response to me quoting Blizzard saying we've got lots of fun stuff for our fans and pointing out they've always been a multi-platform company, which you lost your shit over for some weird reason.

Parse their history however you feel, but them releasing a cool game on a mobile platform doesn't have any implications they are turning their back on PC gamers.

Back